Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

It's a 1997 Honda CR-V LX. I live in Canada (doesn't snow where I live much)

It has 188,000 KM (120,000 ~ miles) and he is asking $4495 CAD aka $3200 USD.

Original engine and transmission.

Timing Belt changed at 120,000 km

All weather nokian tires

Brake pads recently installed, air filter and oil change recently done

He is 2nd owner. Bought car in 2002 from a honda dealer.

Car has had 2 claims on it. 1 was before he bought it and it was a minor collision in the front where the radiator had to be replaced. 2nd was when they owned it and it was the passengers door where someone backed into them and thus was only cosmetic. Claims no mechanical issues at all. I took it for a test drive today but I don't know much about cars and have little experience (17 years old) so it didn't confirm much besides all the power features were working and the car is very clean.

I'm getting the car checked out by a mechanic that I know and trust and also purchasing a carfax report, but before I spend the money and do that, I want to know your opinions.

He claims his dad is a mechanic and did all the service on it, and he seemed very honest and trustworthy to me. They seemed very good with maintaining the car. I just want a really reliable car that I can drive throughout college without it breaking down a lot.

There is a miniscule chip on the windshield apparently from a long time ago from a rock. I barely noticed it until a few minutes into driving

·
Registered
772 Posts
Don't waste your $$ on a carfax report, not verifiable. I would wonder why he is selling just after going to the expense of changing the timing belt, which is the lifeline of a Honda engine ??? Is there something else that was uncovered ??? That's top dollar he is asking. JMO, Good luck.

·
Registered
522 Posts
The car is 20 years old. Older than you. I would offer $2.5K max. That's Canadian. Does not sound to be in pristine condition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car is 20 years old. Older than you. I would offer $2.5K max. That's Canadian. Does not sound to be in pristine condition.
the problem with that is I am unable to find anything for cheaper or that has less kilometres locally. I offered him $3200 and he declined. And lots of people say the car is old and yes that is true, but a lot of other people also say older cars are more reliable. Not sure where to go really :/

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
Don't waste your $$ on a carfax report, not verifiable. I would wonder why he is selling just after going to the expense of changing the timing belt, which is the lifeline of a Honda engine ??? Is there something else that was uncovered ??? That's top dollar he is asking. JMO, Good luck.
Vehicle has 188000 km on it now. Tbelt was done at 120000 or 68000 km ago.

That's 2-3 years driving for the average Canadian.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
That's the one I was looking at.

One thing bothered me about the shot of the guages.

The numbers don't line up. Could be a sign the odometer was tampered with. If the can't back up the odometer reading I would walk away.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 2 cents - seems to be in good condition but this is a 97 model, the first year crv was sold in Canada. The posting has been on for >6 weeks as it is definitely overpriced.
See if you can get it for around 3500 as lizzurd has mentioned, provided you see clean records and get it inspected by a reliable mechanic. If inspection is all good and you really like the vehicle a couple of 100$ more should be ok.

Good luck !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts