Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
aftermarket springs are harder to compress so therefore you can handle more weight. i would go with new springs before i went with pucks.
Hmmm... you may have a point, however I want to maintain the stock ride/feel plus then I have more control over how high I go and I also don't have to replace the shocks/struts since they are still in good shape.

·
Registered
106 Posts
For what it's worth, it won't bottom out, or at least you won't feel it. I went out to Maryland from Ohio last weekend with 4 guys (prob 180 lbs each), 4 heavy mountain bikes on the back (prob close to 250 lbs with bikes and bike rack) plus the entire trunk was fairly full with stuff. The car obviously rode low in the back but it wasn't bottoming (still rode surprisingly well!). Granted it's not something I would do often, mostly for the sake of wear on the transmission, but the car handled it fine. Definitely shut off the overdrive on any climb though, your tranny will thank you.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I bottom out in the back because I'm running 29" total diameter wheels lol. And it only happens when I go over really big bumps with a full load in the car. Raised up 1-2" will cure that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Springs

I found a shop in Reno, NV that was able to help me with the droopy rear springs.
John's Spring Service in Reno, NV located at 455 Sunshine Lane.
He was able to order rear springs with a 2 inch lift and 300lbs extra capacity.
I also ordered struts at the same time and had him replace all my struts at the same time.
This might be able to help some of you guys out there.

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is great news! Question: Where's the strut/shock? I only see the coil spring...
Because it is only the coil spring. Also be prepared to pay upwards of $500 USD for air shipping from Australia lol. Its only like $200 by ship but you have to wait 8 weeks. I already thoroughly researched these guys and I'm thinking of calling that spring shop in Nevada actually...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Because it is only the coil spring. Also be prepared to pay upwards of $500 USD for air shipping from Australia lol. Its only like $200 by ship but you have to wait 8 weeks. I already thoroughly researched these guys and I'm thinking of calling that spring shop in Nevada actually...
Scotty,

Do you have someone the forum needs to know about? I've been searching to lift springs for 2 years. Now I actually need springs and struts...

·
Registered
431 Posts
I just emailed the international sales guy from Dobinson springs and he got back to me pretty quickly. I emailed him at like 11PM eastern time which is early afternoon in Australia and he got right back to me. As I said, just realize that international shipping on something heavy like springs is absolutely insane but you can mitigate it somewhat by doing shipping by sea although you have to wait about 8 weeks.

If you need springs these are the best option I guess, I just don't have any hands on although I do know for a fact that there are G1 guys who have used Dobinson springs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I found a shop in Reno, NV that was able to help me with the droopy rear springs.
John's Spring Service in Reno, NV located at 455 Sunshine Lane.
He was able to order rear springs with a 2 inch lift and 300lbs extra capacity.
I also ordered struts at the same time and had him replace all my struts at the same time.
This might be able to help some of you guys out there.
Thread back from the dead again. I finally got around to calling these guys today. They don't order the springs from a warehouse, they get them custom wound and they can make you just about anything. He quoted me $340/pair which is pretty crazy but that is what custom costs... Is that about what you paid sfrlee (if you don't mind me asking)?

So for the G2 it boils down to this as far as lifting it goes:

-Order custom springs and expect to pay $700+ but get exactly what you want.

-Pay even more because of ridiculous international shipping costs for 1.5" springs all around from Dobinson in Australia or pay $500 and wait 2-3 months for them to arrive via container ship.

-Make lift pucks for $whatever and hope they hold up, then still deal with the droopy rear springs.

IMO, option 1 is the best. You can order higher springs out back to level the car with the ability to hold more load and not go too high so you don't screw up the front axles. IIRC, CR-V axles are good for about 1" lift in front and 2" out back before binding becomes an issue. Dobinsons's stuff for the G1/G2 is 1.57" (40mm) all around so I'm not sure if that was researched or just a convenient lift amount for them to do.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
if that small amount of lift is too much for the stock struts, im sure you can go to any parts store and tell them you need a strut longer then your stock one. i cant exactly remember the strut and shock set up for the cr-v it has been a while.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Talk about reviving a thread, haha. 5 years without a heartbeat.

I read the 72 pages at the Honda-tech forum on this where most have G1's. I'm currently in a similar predicament and am debating $500 for Dobinsons. Its unclear to me whether the quoted $194 is for airfare from the outback or whether its for literally shipping them. They said their next shipment is expected in March 2016.

I might go to an auto spring place nearby and see if they can custom make springs for me and get a quote.

I have a 2006 MT AWD EX. Just bought bilstein HD struts front and rear & ideally would like to lift 1.5" up front and 2" in the back. But I could live with 1" front and 1.5" rear.

Plan to use my stock wheels and trying to decide 215/70/16 or 225/75 or 70 /16 (OEM 215/65/16)

21 - 32 of 32 Posts