Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - am a new owner of a 2012 CRV EX-L with 34K miles and have been looking over these forums for a procedure to change the 2012-2014 transmission fluid. I am unsure of prior maintenance, so I would like to do this and the rear diff asap. There is a lot of information on the previous 3rd gen, but I am unable to find something targeting the latest generation. Could it be the same? The read diff seems to be very straightforward.

Thanks for any guidance and sorry if I overlooked it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hello video guy,
The 2012 procedure is pretty much the same as the 3rd gen. You can do the tranny service with the vehicle on the ground parked on a level surface. The drain plug is at the front under the small plastic cover ( in front of the silver plate where you change the oil and filter) . The little cover just swings down. If your fluid level is correct just measure what drains out and refill with the same amount. ( about 3.5 quarts ). Refill through the dip stick with Honda DW-1 . The diff has two plugs a drain and fill, make sure you can open the fill before you drain it. Use Honda dual pump fluid about 1.1 qts. A small pump that fits on the quart bottle will help with the fill. Both easy for DIY.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can understand the diff fluid, in the fairly unlikely event that it was never done before. But why would you want to change the transmission fluid at only 34k?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Blue12EXL - my wife leases a '14 EX-L and I have already done the oil/filter on that twice. I don't remember another small plastic cover down there, so I'll have to go look again. Is it bolted? If you know of any pictures on this forum showing this cover, please let me know. The initial removal of the silver plate screws was hard - crazy tight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
... oh, and is there a crush washer for the trans. drain - if so, what size? I know the rear diff is 18 & 20 mm.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The small plastic cover is in the center of the car about 3 inches in front of the oil drain cover plate. There are two screws one on either side of the cover then it just swings down. Yes there is an 18mm crush washer on the drain plug. I believe the torque for that plug is 35 ft lbs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information! To everyone else, the primary reason for changing the fluids is because I have no knowledge of the treatment of this 3 year old CRV before I purchased it. Just trying to reset the clock and start from a known position.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changing TF is easy. Easier than doing oil change. When the reminder is up, I just drain. Then fill it up. Be sure to use Honda fluid. I didnt even replace the washer. Too late. I am still getting avg 28 mpg since the first day and my car is at 100K miles now. I use 5w-20 regular oil and change at 11k-12K too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got around to changing the rear diff fluid and it wound up being easier than I expected. I used a 1/2" breaker bar with a 3/8ths adapter on the fill plug first and got it off on the first try. The drain plug is lower and I had a bad angle on it and couldn't get much leverage. I put a floor jack under the end of the breaker bar and got the plug to turn after just a few pumps. I had purchased one of those quart bottle pumps from Amazon and it was adequate for the job and easy to use. I wasn't sure on how much torque to apply when putting the bolts back in, but since they were tight coming off, I just snugged them up without getting too crazy. I did use new crush washers. I recommend this project for the DIYer who changes their own oil. No sense in paying Honda for something this easy.

Lastly, I would add a note on changing the engine air filter. If you remove the clamp from the air hose and disconnect the hose from the air filter housing, the filter installation is a breeze.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts