Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be looking to buy a Gen 2 CR-V. I want a 4 cyl, Auto with AWD /4WD. Any help on what issues I might have would be great? Are the engines and trannys durable? Timing belt or chain etc. TIA!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very reliable engine and tranny, motor is a little under powered compared to the gen3 and 4 of course. All gen2 years came with a timing chain.
Things to lookout for
- Rear diff fluid has been changed (you don't hear any growling or moaning noises)
- valve clearance has been inspected and adjusted at required intervals as mentioned in manual

The only issue I believe this model had was with A/C compressor going bad which is costly to fix.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very reliable engine and tranny, motor is a little under powered compared to the gen3 and 4 of course. All gen2 years came with a timing chain.
Things to lookout for
- Rear diff fluid has been changed (you don't hear any growling or moaning noises)
- valve clearance has been inspected and adjusted at required intervals as mentioned in manual

The only issue I believe this model had was with A/C compressor going bad which is costly to fix.
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
I agree with Honda4Life. Get the 2.5 Gen V's. They are much better 5 speed automatic, drive by wire system. If you need to stick with the 02 to 04 go at least with the 03 or up. As some 02 1st year 2nd Gen, some have problems with the Timing chain stretching & jumping. Good luck!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had an 02 that had no problems over my 3 years of ownership. I'd prefer to go with an 05/06 next time just because of the entire body being painted. Instead of the bumper skin being on some areas. Good luck on your search!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I had an 02 that had no problems over my 3 years of ownership. I'd prefer to go with an 05/06 next time just because of the entire body being painted. Instead of the bumper skin being on some areas. Good luck on your search!
Only on SE model were the bumpers painted. Those models also go leather and heated front seats

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh okay. I thought the whole painted body was year specific rather than trim. I'll still be looking into the nice metallic gray ones. Not sure of the exact color reference, but it stands out nicely. I'll have to start searching soon, so maybe I can find one that hasn't been abused much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts