Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 109,000 miles. It is having a bad oil consumption issue, burning a near a quart every 500 miles. However, there is no blue smoke in my exhaust after start up. Additionally, I am going to be doing a compression test in the next few days.

If the compression test shows what I think it will show (bad rings) then I am considering rebuilding the bottom end of my engine. However, because I just moved, I no longer have the ability to completely pull my engine out. I am able to rent out a garage with a lift.

Has anyone had experience doing a bottom/lower end rebuild without taking the engine out of the vehicle? Or are there structural restrictions from doing such a thing?

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
with 109,000 unless it was ran out of oil, I would try this , replace the PCV valve and get a hose too I replaced mine with 3/8 transmission hose but I recommend you get the Honda hose because its probably brittle and cracking and wont be reusable ,then soak each piston with 3 OZ of seafoam through the spark plug holes for an hour or 2 then put a towel over the top and crank it over it will blow most of the seafoam onto the towel messy then put the plugs back in and coils and start it it will smoke for 20 mins,,also make sure all the coils are unplugged so it doesn't ignite the seafoam and catch fire when you crank it with plugs out , find an unused road with no hills and turns and put it in 1st gear and get the rpm's up around 4,000 and keep doing rapid decelerations and bring it back to 4,000 RPM and foot off gas back down to 1,000, do that 10 times,it was probably driven real easy and lack of oil changes maybe,but I have done many and it always greatly reduces or eliminates oil consumption problems

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent!

Thank you very much for the information. I have a quick question that probably sounds self explanatory, but after doing the rapid deceleration 10 times, would I then do an oil change after completing this process?

Thanks for your time,

Jens K. Carter

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Excellent!

Thank you very much for the information. I have a quick question that probably sounds self explanatory, but after doing the rapid deceleration 10 times, would I then do an oil change after completing this process?

Thanks for your time,

Jens K. Carter

Dave J. will be able to answer your question. If that does not work you can use marvel Mystery Oil to clean & free up the oil rings.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,069 Posts
Great advice. My wife's old car Pcv system was totally gunked up with solidified oil and the oil came out every seal it could escape from

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
522 Posts
Excellent!

Thanks for your time,

Jens K. Carter
yes my bad change the oil because the seafoam that got past the rings ,but seafoam claims you can leave it in the oil,but probably would be better to change it,the mystery oil would probably be good too haven't used it but it should do the same cleaning of the rings and carbon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts