Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm moderately green when it comes to fixing automotive mechanical issues, and even newer to the Honda club. Bought an '09 CRV, completely stock with no known issues. Took it in for an oil change last week and today there is a leak somewhere leading to the passenger front tire. Doesn't smell like oil and is leaking from well behind oil tank and filter.

Car was owned by a retired couple and still has original brakes, so my guess was brake fluid however the color seems too light.

I've attached some pictures in hopes someone with more knowledge can tell me what I'm looking at before I start taking things apart. Any help is much appreciated! :)

Edit: after investigating more, looks like a leak around the rack or pinion, which apparently is relatively common for these cars. Can someone confirm and share average price/ part replacements?

Cheers,
Jess

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,184 Posts
@JessCee 3rd gen in the Alaska/ Canada, do you think a meet group can offer help? Moving to the issues and problems department 3rd gen section

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
971 Posts
Would agree that it looks like power steering fluid. Had to replace entire rack on our '10 Accord. Not sure of the cost, but wasn't cheep.

If possible, see if there is a company that repairs steering racks in your area. If so, I believe the cost of replacing the worn seals & refurbishing everything else may be cheaper than getting a new rack. Might even check local auto recycling centers to see if they have one.

Good luck.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
526 Posts
Some oil change places seem to consistently abuse cars. Use someone you trust. Often a bad rack will leak into the inner tie rod boot.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CR-V Tafetta
27 Posts
I'd monitor your power steering reservoir and see if the level starts to drop. I recommend only using OEM power steering fluid btw.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,819 Posts
I recommend only using OEM power steering fluid btw.
OEM is not that expensive...but many autoparts stores offer power steering fluid 'For Honda'. Just don't use any that is not designated as such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts