Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and installed an aftermarket AC compressor and after a year and a half, it's starting to go out (getting noisy and air is cooling intermittently). Has anyone had any good results of an aftermarket compressor lasting longer than a year and a half? It's for a 2005 Honda CRV LX. Thanks.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I really don't like A/M parts, especially for a Honda. There is too much chance it could be re-manufactured, which means it could have been repaired with parts from several different compressor's. In answer to your length of use, no that's not acceptable for a major expensive part. Yours is a perfect example why I just don't use A/M part's. JMO and good luck.
David g.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
With the right brand there is nothing wrong with using an aftermarket compressor. Most brands I use are brand new units with no used or refurbished parts. Up here in Canada new compressors from from Honda are 1500 and up. If a customer can save a 1000 going aftermarket why shouldn't they.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure about changing everything out because of black death contamination but I'll ask my mechanic. I can get a new Honda OEM compressor for about $500 (US) and and aftermarket one for about $150. My mechanic charges me $300 to install it. Common sense tells me that I'm already spending $300 just to install it to go ahead and spend more on the OEM for a sure thing (but is it really a sure thing?). My money tree in my backyard is getting pretty sparse so I'm still considering an aftermarket. I'm not is a huge hurry since it's now October and air conditioning isn't a huge need. I might wait to see if anyone else replies with experience using an aftermarket where it has lasted a long time.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
One for $450...

I'm not sure about changing everything out because of black death contamination but I'll ask my mechanic. I can get a new Honda OEM compressor for about $500 (US)...
Hondapartsnow.com: http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2005-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_2wd-ka-5at/a-c-compressor.html?PNC=3

I do not find a "receiver/dryer" which some AC systems have. It MUST be replaced anytime the system is opened. If not, the moisture in the system WILL turn to acid and ruin the system.

The only thing I found that might be the Honda version of a receiver/dryer is #5, Filter subassembly here:

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-list/2005-honda-cr-v-5dr_lx_2wd-ka-5at/a-c-condenser.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, well, I found an aftermarket compressor on Amazon with many excellent reviews, then found that one on Ebay for even cheaper. My mechanic said he has all the things to purge and clean the system so he doesn't need the entire kit but did say that a new condensor should be installed. He found a new one on shepherd automotive with a lifetime warranty for $30. I'll try to keep everyone posted on the longevity of this aftermarket unit. Thanks for everyone's input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts