Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for 17" wheels to build a set of winters for my 2019 EX. Dont want to do the tire rack rims as I think all of them require centering rings, etc... So probably will stick with oem Honda. Looking at my local Craigslist has not produced any results yet. Let me know if anyone knows a good place to look - I assume some people upgrade their wheels and no longer want their stock 17". thx

·
Registered
467 Posts
Just get a set of steel rims. Salt and corrosion will ruin the aluminum rims. Just not worth it when they are very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just get a set of steel rims. Salt and corrosion will ruin the aluminum rims. Just not worth it when they are very expensive.

If aluminum rims aren't worth it, why are they so popular?

I made up a set of steel wheels + winter tires for the last vehicle that I had. I got a set of cheap hubcaps to slap over the steel rims. Over the years I needed to buy another set of hubcaps to replace ones that broke or got lost. I thought the steel wheels would be better, but because of the hassle of dealing with hubcaps it wasn't any easier or cheaper like I thought it would be.

Also, steel wheels are heavier, which is something to consider if you're doing the change overs yourself, or even if you are just moving them around from the garage to the hatch and then back again. Winter tires are heavy enough, why make them even more heavy than they need to be. The extra weight has an effect on performance and braking too.

For my CRV I went with some after market aluminum wheels with hub rings. I do have to say it was a pain in the ass to do the research to try to find ones with the same offsets and everything else as stock. Most websites will give you a huge list of wheels that are "compatible", but when you dig into it you will find that most offsets are different, which can affect suspension geometry which I didn't want to do.

Like the original poster I would have preferred to get a set of OEM Honda wheels, but I couldn't find any for a reasonable price at the time. Good luck.

·
Registered
467 Posts
For winter tires steel rims are cheaper. They cost less than aluminum rims. Yes aluminum rims are popular but the majority of people don’t use them for their winter tires because of cost.

I got a set of cheap hubcaps to put on mine and have never broken them or lost them. And if I did I would buy another set or just not even put them on. Most people with steels rims in the winter time don’t even bother with hubcaps. Hubcaps cost $40 for a set of 4 and $200 for a set of 4 steel rims versus $300+ for ONE aluminum wheel if you went OEM. Aftermarket ones may be cheaper but not close to $50 for 1 steel rim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If aluminum rims aren't worth it, why are they so popular?

I made up a set of steel wheels + winter tires for the last vehicle that I had. I got a set of cheap hubcaps to slap over the steel rims. Over the years I needed to buy another set of hubcaps to replace ones that broke or got lost. I thought the steel wheels would be better, but because of the hassle of dealing with hubcaps it wasn't any easier or cheaper like I thought it would be.

Also, steel wheels are heavier, which is something to consider if you're doing the change overs yourself, or even if you are just moving them around from the garage to the hatch and then back again. Winter tires are heavy enough, why make them even more heavy than they need to be. The extra weight has an effect on performance and braking too.

For my CRV I went with some after market aluminum wheels with hub rings. I do have to say it was a pain in the ass to do the research to try to find ones with the same offsets and everything else as stock. Most websites will give you a huge list of wheels that are "compatible", but when you dig into it you will find that most offsets are different, which can affect suspension geometry which I didn't want to do.

Like the original poster I would have preferred to get a set of OEM Honda wheels, but I couldn't find any for a reasonable price at the time. Good luck.
Thanks and I agree with your points. Still looking - the CRV is very popular - so Im sure I will find some OEM take offs in 17" size. Was able to get a great deal on winter tires - 4 blizzak ws80's for $300 out the door. HAve a month or two to find some 17" wheels and yes - prefer not to deal with centering rings etc..

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
FWIW, I installed aftermarket rims WITHOUT hub centric rings. Smooth as silk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts