Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
A longtime Honda owner, but of Odysseys and Accords (I'm on Odyclub and Driveaccord forums and they're quite helpful). I'm looking for an 05/06 CR-V for kids to use. Are there any particular issues with that generation model that I should be looking out for? I'm not sure if there is a v6 version, but I'm only looking for 4cylinder automatics.

Have the transmissions been reliable, or have there been a lot of issues with them? I ask because I went through 3 v6 trannys on my '00 Ody before we bailed and bought a new one. The Accords have both been 4cyl manuals, so not an issue there.

Thanks in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Dave

·
Registered
442 Posts
The CRVs always came as 4cyl and there was never a 6 cyl.
05/06 are very reliable and the only major issue I have heard of is A/C failures in gen2. no known transmission issues like older model odysseys.
Look for a well maintained 05/06 CRV and you should be good.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
The 05/06 (AKA Generation 2.5) did not have the A/C compressor issues of the earlier Gen 2s.

When you look for maintenance, check for other records besides oil changes. ATF, rear diff, brake fluid and coolant should have been replaced by now. Cabin and engine air filters are a visual.

Over 100K, spark plugs and valve adjustment should have been done.

Brakes should last ~75K miles, tires only last 40 - 50K miles. These need to be replaced in sets of four.

Overall, a VERY reliable vehicle!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought last year 2005 model with 127.500 miles/204.000 km in very good visual condiction. The most important to check is rust free body and under body. If you see at once rust on silencer then find another one. After buing first step is doing full under body anti rust cover.

Mine was from Sweden, where salt on roads is not used. But there is still some rust inside under seats (water from snow probably) and in engine compartment. But nothing scary. So I must remove all interior parts and engine to made it perfect.

Otherwise I changed the clutch, 3 stabilizer connections in suspension, most fluids, did a wheel geometry, passenger Takata airbag filler was repalced by Honda (free security action) . Still to do: not working right door closing, all safety belts barely fold (it can be done DIY), hard clutch and thats it. Engine and all other systems are perfectly working.

Anyway is the best car I ever had, but some work must be done in such old car. Almost nobody is selling 100% perfect car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts