Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are looking to purchase a new'er CRV. We just had our first child on 7/31. Wasn't really in a rush to buy til my Infiniti G35 alternator took a crap on me AT the hospital. Car has 150k miles so we both agreed that a new'er vehicle is in order. Looked at a 2012 VW Tiguan 2.0t but I don't trust german engineering for reliability. It was nice and sporty but maintenance costs steered me away. Honda CRV is our next choice. Would love an RDX but for the price the mileage is way to high. Well heres a 2010 Honda CRV we found at the local Honda dealership;

2010 Honda CRV EX-L
Royal Blue Pearl
Black leather interior
56,966 Miles
1-owner
Clean Car-fax

It comes standard with most of the bells and whistles MINUS navigation/Reverse camera. The asking price is $14,990. Out the door they want $16,120

Is this a good deal? Should I keep searching? Is it possible to add a reverse camera?

The reverse camera is the only item my wife wishes the vehicle had. Both of our cars are older and the thought of having a reverse camera was appealing. It is definitely not a deal breaker by any means. I will be going back to the dealer today to speak to the finance manager. I want to add a 120k/bumper to bumper extended warrant and ask about adding the camera.

Thanks for the help and suggestions

Hopefully soon to be CRV owner, Alex S.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The price is fair according to KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book). It is closer to the private party price than the dealer price.

I put an aftermarket wireless backup camera on my F-150 in 2004 and it just recently stopped working. If you look around on Amazon and Ebay, there are many in the $30-$50 range that would work fine. I installed mine and it was easy. You simply wire the rear camera to the back-up light and the monitor to a circuit that is powered when the ignition switched on (I went to the fuse box and found one). Be sure to get one that is wireless.

I'm not a fan of extended warranties. They are really just high profit breakdown insurance with a lot of fine print.

·
Registered
2013 CRV EX FWD
2,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a pretty good deal to me and you'll be buying a vehicle that will last. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We are officially a part of the Honda CRV family! Process was quick and simple. Ended up paying a little over $18k out the door. This included all taxes and title and an extended warranty. We settled on a 4 year/50k mile warranty. That will keep us covered til almost 110k miles. Would've loved a 120k mile warranty but that option was not offered. I was also able to have them install Honda accessory fog lights. The wife should be happy about that one :) He also honored a price of $500 to have a revers camera installed at any time. Maybe that'll be part of my wife's Christmas gift. All in all we are happy. We now have a reliable vehicle for my wife to drive with our new born baby. I'll post pictures in the "Introduction" section.

H <3 !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the little one! I've been surprised how much the CR-V can hold with a stroller and capacity Costco trips with little effort in back.

Before you drop another $500 on a camera, try one of those like osbornk was talking about for $50. I find myself hardly using our factory one anyway, there's no substitute for actually looking back when backing.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
We are officially a part of the Honda CRV family! Process was quick and simple. Ended up paying a little over $18k out the door. This included all taxes and title and an extended warranty. We settled on a 4 year/50k mile warranty. That will keep us covered til almost 110k miles. Would've loved a 120k mile warranty but that option was not offered. I was also able to have them install Honda accessory fog lights. The wife should be happy about that one :) He also honored a price of $500 to have a revers camera installed at any time. Maybe that'll be part of my wife's Christmas gift. All in all we are happy. We now have a reliable vehicle for my wife to drive with our new born baby. I'll post pictures in the "Introduction" section.

H <3 !
I think you will be happy with your car and the odds that you will need the extended warranty are very low. I can't imagine paying $500 for a back-up camera. Like I said, I installed one on my F-150 12 years ago and it worked fine until recently. I did it only because the truck is very high and it is much harder to see what is behind it than a CRV. I never trusted myself to use it for backing up and I only got it to make sure there was not a grandchild behind the truck when I backed up. The only thing I actually used it for was to hook up my trailers (I could see where to put the ball exactly). They have gone down in price a lot and are improved from the one I installed. I probably fumbled around an hour or installing the camera.

My 16 CRV EX-L has a very good back-up camera but I still don't trust it when I back up. I know it's me and I also afraid I will be looking at the camera and will let the front swing around into something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts