Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Who do you trust?

Honda dealer or an online parts warehouse? Any suggestions?
You can get the KYB from Advance auto. I do the order online for in store pick up. Google discount codes and you can save 20-30% by ordering online. Plus with Advance or Autozone you can return items to the store instead of shipping back to vendor. I recently did the KYB and they are good. I tried the Monroe quick strut and they were to bouncy so I returned them.

·
Banned
806 Posts
My 2006 is just shy of 125,000 and the struts feel like they need replacement. What did you end up doing and how has it worked out?
If you have never replaced them, I would say it is long past due. I have done shocks and struts on two different vehicles the last two weekends. My wife's car and my kids truck. I will be doing my CR-V this coming week. I ordered KYB's off of Amazon, I couldn't find anything that would fit my car that I was ok with. Or they only had the fronts and no backs. Or backs and no fronts.

Typically they say to replace them every 50K miles. When I did my wife's car there was a huge noticeable difference between the old struts / shocks and the new struts / shocks. The car has about 53K miles. It is unknown when my the shocks on my kids truck were replaced, but they were due as well. My CRV has 53K miles as well and I notice that they are worn out. It is one of those things that slowly fade, and if you don't pay close attention, your ride may feel normal or fine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I myself like OEM, there's a Honda online supplier delivered to your door right above your post in the AD section. In any McPherson strut suspension (HONDA), it's highly unlikely you can tell the shock is bad unless (1) it's leaking fluid (2) you remove it since the coil spring assist gives you a false reading. Here's one for ya, my ONE OWNER 218k mile 97 V has the original strut's, suspension parts, axles, and drives perfect and still a good looking ride for my Dog. From the old school, if it's not broke, leave it alone. JMHO and good luck.
David g. :cool:

·
Banned
806 Posts
I myself like OEM, there's a Honda online supplier delivered to your door right above your post in the AD section. In any McPherson strut suspension (HONDA), it's highly unlikely you can tell the shock is bad unless (1) it's leaking fluid (2) you remove it since the coil spring assist gives you a false reading. Here's one for ya, my ONE OWNER 218k mile 97 V has the original strut's, suspension parts, axles, and drives perfect and still a good looking ride for my Dog. From the old school, if it's not broke, leave it alone. JMHO and good luck.
I would have to disagree here. Take one apart and push down on the old and the new without the spring attached and view the difference. Leaking fluid is the extreme. Again the degradation is gradual over time and you probably feel it as being normal. I'm one that notices everything and am very in tune with my vehicles and how they ride / drive. Had a 4Runner several years ago, and I took it in to the dealer for an issue I thought I was having. Come to find out it was a change in vacuum that I was feeling and they were surprised that I would even notice that. There was no issue at all it drove like the new ones.

I'm one that maintains things and doesn't wait for it to break. Maintenance is key to any vehicle, and failure of any part will typically cause failure in other parts.

Google "when to replace struts" and read. I have gone 90K before in a car before changing and noticed a huge difference.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have never replaced them, I would say it is long past due. I have done shocks and struts on two different vehicles the last two weekends. My wife's car and my kids truck. I will be doing my CR-V this coming week. I ordered KYB's off of Amazon, I couldn't find anything that would fit my car that I was ok with. Or they only had the fronts and no backs. Or backs and no fronts.

Typically they say to replace them every 50K miles. When I did my wife's car there was a huge noticeable difference between the old struts / shocks and the new struts / shocks. The car has about 53K miles. It is unknown when my the shocks on my kids truck were replaced, but they were due as well. My CRV has 53K miles as well and I notice that they are worn out. It is one of those things that slowly fade, and if you don't pay close attention, your ride may feel normal or fine.
Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your .02

I can feel the difference in how the car rides and even handles. Nothing is broken or leaking, but its obvious the struts are worn out. I guess this goes on the list to get replaced soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your .02

My approach is to be pragmatic about replacement now that our cars have gotten older / higher mileage. Knowing my wife and/or I may be driving around with young kids means I don't want to take the chance of a suspension part failing while doing 70 on the highway b/c I didn't do any pro-active maintenance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts