Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a weekend project I was trying to replace my valve stem seals... I was replacing the ones on cylinder one and while trying to compress the spring one of the keeper flew in a oval hole on the exhaust side. It sounded like the keeper went down the exhaust manifold though I can't verify. Does anyone know if that oval hole (there are two of those holes on the exhaust side) goes to the exhaust??? if so, will the keeper be ejected through the exhaust??? if the keeper is in the engine... I'm in deep S&^#!!! can anyone give any advise???? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Can you take a picture of the holes and post it?

I don't think you dropped it down into the exhaust. That isn't 'open' to the 'outside', only way in is thru the combustion chamber via an open exhaust valve.

At most I'd say you dropped it down an oil return passage way and it may or may not have made it all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan. Either way, I don't think it'll cause you much if any grief if it did make it down to the bottom of the pan. The oil pump isn't going to suck it up as I'm pretty sure there's a screen on the intake. In all likelihood you'll find it in the bottom of your drain pan during one of your future oil changes. I'd be more worried about finding another one to replace it without having to buy a whole engine's worth of them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Can you take a picture of the holes and post it?

I don't think you dropped it down into the exhaust. That isn't 'open' to the 'outside', only way in is thru the combustion chamber via an open exhaust valve.

At most I'd say you dropped it down an oil return passage way and it may or may not have made it all the way down to the bottom of the oil pan. Either way, I don't think it'll cause you much if any grief if it did make it down to the bottom of the pan. The oil pump isn't going to suck it up as I'm pretty sure there's a screen on the intake. In all likelihood you'll find it in the bottom of your drain pan during one of your future oil changes. I'd be more worried about finding another one to replace it without having to buy a whole engine's worth of them.
My thoughts exactly. It more than likely is in the oil pan. Finish the job and don't worry, Good luck. JMHO.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If it were my car, I'd want to exhaust all possibilities of retrieving it before I just went about my business. I'd drain the oil immediately and then flush things out using a spray can of brake cleaner. I was advised to use this product by a former Saab factory mechanic years ago before heading to the warm climate of SoCal. It evaporates almost immediately and leaves no residue so spray away and see what comes out JMO. Craig

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the replies... Its been a couple days now and the car is just sitting there with the top end half taken apart. when I lost the keepers, i did stick a magnet down the hole and came up empty. I do hope I can retrieve the lost keepers to finish the job. I wanted to avoid removing the cylinder head but seems like that's a strog possibility now...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts