Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new 2017 CR-V comes with lots of audio options: traditional FM and AM, iPod / USB drives, SiriusXM satellite radio, HD radio, smartphone connected via Bluetooth, smartphone via Apple CarPlay / Android Auto but no CD or tape anymore.

I get almost 100% of my entertainment via the connected smartphone (iPhone) either via Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth. I have an Apple Music subscription but also listen to audiobooks (Audible), other streaming apps, and podcasts.

What about you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
The new 2017 CR-V comes with lots of audio options: traditional FM and AM, iPod / USB drives, SiriusXM satellite radio, HD radio, smartphone connected via Bluetooth, smartphone via Apple CarPlay / Android Auto but no CD or tape anymore.

I get almost 100% of my entertainment via the connected smartphone (iPhone) either via Apple CarPlay or Bluetooth. I have an Apple Music subscription but also listen to audiobooks (Audible), other streaming apps, and podcasts.

What about you?
OMG no CD player?!? How cheap of them. I don't need a CD changer like in my old 2002 Accord EX V6 (RIP) or my wife's 2008 CR-V EX-L Nav, but... seriously... I have over 2000 CDs in my music arsenal... a single CD player would have been nice!! This is a BIG disappointment for us Gen-Xers who grew up with CDs. I guess I better start ripping my CDs and filling up my USB flash drives eh!

·
Registered
219 Posts
OMG no CD player?!? How cheap of them. I don't need a CD changer like in my old 2002 Accord EX V6 (RIP) or my wife's 2008 CR-V EX-L Nav, but... seriously... I have over 2000 CDs in my music arsenal... a single CD player would have been nice!! This is a BIG disappointment for us Gen-Xers who grew up with CDs. I guess I better start ripping my CDs and filling up my USB flash drives eh!
Yeah, surprised me too. Just loaded a ton of playlists to a 32 GB USB drive and I'm good to go!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I plan to do more testing, but I've deduced that to get the best audio, I will need to play my apple lossless music via my iPhone plugged in.

Using my iPod Classic 160GB gives this skipping sound every minute or two. drives me bonkers.

·
Registered
178 Posts
AM Radio (Armstrong and Getty) for the morning commute. Pandora for music. 16 gig flash drive set at random for music where there is no reception.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I plan to do more testing, but I've deduced that to get the best audio, I will need to play my apple lossless music via my iPhone plugged in.

Using my iPod Classic 160GB gives this skipping sound every minute or two. drives me bonkers.
My iPod nano 8GB does the same thing, skips/pops every minute or so. The same iPod worked fine in my previous Mazda CX-5.

Sirius XM sounds really bad, almost like AM radio. Very compressed.

I've settled on Google Play Music for now, through CarPlay.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My iPod nano 8GB does the same thing, skips/pops every minute or so. The same iPod worked fine in my previous Mazda CX-5.

It sounds like I'm not going to be subscribing to SiriusXM radio. Is the sound really that bad?? Yikes.

·
Registered
185 Posts
It sounds like I'm not going to be subscribing to SiriusXM radio. Is the sound really that bad?? Yikes.
Yes, it's terrible. Way worse than I thought it was going to be. You get 3 months free, I think. It's a reasonable option if you listen to talk/sports/comedy, but you couldn't pay me to listen to music on it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
128Gig for $15.99 at Staples and you're set! (for the next 10 years?)

the XM radio does sound like it's about 64 kbs... good bye xm in 3 months..

·
Registered
11 Posts

Man, I'm both sad and happy that someone else shares my pain. I'm in a particularly bad spot because I can't just put all my iTunes music on a USB drive, because they're in that Apple Lossless format (.m4a) which isn't supported on the CR-V.

Looks like I will be upgrading from a iPhone 5 16GB to whatever iPhone is released this year and get enough memory for my music collection :/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, it's terrible. Way worse than I thought it was going to be. You get 3 months free, I think. It's a reasonable option if you listen to talk/sports/comedy, but you couldn't pay me to listen to music on it.
Wait... something for free? Wow! Thanks Honda! :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am aware of the EX-L HD radio issue: being advertised to be included but in reality only there when purchased with navigation. I am wondering if HD radio is really such a big deal compared to streaming radio. I understand HD radio is free and streaming radio needs Internet access and costs data.

Would you miss HD radio or is streaming enough or even better?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Still trying to figure out best way of listening to my music without suffering sound quality. Haven't hooked the ipod back up because of skip/pop issue. Usually listen to Sat radio but thought I'd give Pandora a try. Hooked phone to usb cable as manual said. Next time I got in it automatically synced via bluetooth. Switched back to Pandora app for controlling stations and was amazed at sound quality. It's like going from boom box to home theatre. So is this due to download rate and am I using more data on my phone connected via bluetooth? If I put a lot of my music on flash drive will I have any control from touchscreen, finding certain songs, skipping etc. Some enlightenment please for a guy from 8 track generation.

thanks

2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX-L w/ Nav.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still trying to figure out best way of listening to my music without suffering sound quality. Haven't hooked the ipod back up because of skip/pop issue. Usually listen to Sat radio but thought I'd give Pandora a try. Hooked phone to usb cable as manual said. Next time I got in it automatically synced via bluetooth. Switched back to Pandora app for controlling stations and was amazed at sound quality. It's like going from boom box to home theatre. So is this due to download rate and am I using more data on my phone connected via bluetooth? If I put a lot of my music on flash drive will I have any control from touchscreen, finding certain songs, skipping etc. Some enlightenment please for a guy from 8 track generation.

thanks

When you stream with your smartphone, you usually always use data except if songs are downloaded but this typically requires a subscription (Pandora, Spotify, Apple Music, Google Play Music, Slacker). It doesn't matter if you connect via Bluetooth or USB cable although the later is more reliable and charges also your phone.

Pandora is integrated in the infotainment system but I would try the Android Auto or Apple Car Play, depending on your phone, first. This should give you a better experience.

I have not tried a flash drive simply because the smartphone is basically a flash drive with so much more.

·
Registered
626 Posts
This still doesn't explain to me why the sound would be so much better when Pandora is going through bluetooth app vs. Pandora app?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man, I'm both sad and happy that someone else shares my pain. I'm in a particularly bad spot because I can't just put all my iTunes music on a USB drive, because they're in that Apple Lossless format (.m4a) which isn't supported on the CR-V.

Looks like I will be upgrading from a iPhone 5 16GB to whatever iPhone is released this year and get enough memory for my music collection :/
I was just able to play the Apple iTunes .M4A files on my 128GB (FAT32 format) USB 3.0 flash drive connected to the 1.0amp USB port in my Touring. Where does any Honda documentation say that it's not a supported format? I'd try it and see what happens in your CR-V. You may be pleasantly surprised!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone having issues with poor Bluetooth connectivity? I'm using a Samsung S5 connected via Bluetooth with the native audio player and am getting weird pops/skips while playing music directly from the phone which is sitting in the console just in front of the cup holders. Current have the 17 EX.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is an excerpt of some emails between my son and I, which addresses some USB questions. This is using the USB port in the middle, not the Android Auto one.

I just finished ripping every CD we have to MP3 at 320Kbps. Which is 52 Folders 605 Songs and 3.78 GB.
That plus all the other MP3s that I already had for a grand total of 67 Folders 1,914 Songs and 7.15 GB. Which just fit on my Sandisk FIT with 286 MB Free. I chose the Sandisk FIT because it is so tiny that it doesn’t protrude much from the USB port which is in the storage area between the front seats so it is less likely to get damaged when someone puts a purse in there.

I did a quick check for readability in the CRV and every first track of an album worked. The CRV will display album art but the only one that seemed to show up was Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool which you Dropboxed me last Father’s Day. I used Media Player to do the ripping and most of the cover art showed up while ripping.

OK, I did a sound check using Ride Across the River and it sounds fine to me. I don’t have Weird Fishes.
Our CRV doesn’t have the 330-Watt Premium Audio System with 9 Speakers, including Subwoofer. We have only the 180-Watt Audio System with 8 Speakers.

I discovered a really cool feature while checking out the instrument panel display of the audio that is playing (as opposed to the infotainment screen), When you scroll thru the folders, sub-folders and songs the system SAYS / SPEAKS the name in addition to showing it. That means you don’t have to take your eyes off the road when looking for a song, pretty neat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts