Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 honda crv ex 5 speed awd. Since we had a nice snow storm in ny i got to utilize the awd in my crv. I noticed when one of the rear wheels start to spin it makes a loud humming. Once it stops slipping the sound is gone. Could it just need a differential fluid change? Any advice will help thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
437 Posts
You will need a little over 1 qt of the Honda Dual pump fluid and maybe a cheap pump that fits in the quart container found at most part stores. To burnish the clutches all you do is drive in tight circles about ten times in each direction to cause the clutches to slip while the rear wheels turn at different speeds. Thats it ! You will have a plug for draining and one for filling. Always remove the fill plug before draining just in case the fill plug is stuck and then would not be able to refill.

·
Registered
171 Posts
>>all you do is drive in tight circles about ten times in each direction <<

I had read you need to drive in reverse while driving in tight circles. Is that not really necessary? Just curious.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would think that either direction would have the same effect, getting the clutches to slip. I would rather see where I am going : )

·
Registered
171 Posts
>> I would rather see where I am going : ) <<

Agreed. And you are less likely to get noticed by the boys in blue if they happen to drive by.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the fluid yesterday. Very easy to do. The fluid that came out was very clean. Put new honda dual pump fluid in and drove in circles ten times both ways. Last night with the snow i heard the noise again when the rear wheels kicked in. Any other ideas on this??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 9 of 9 Posts