Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 7 months ago I bought a 2010 Honda CR-V EX from Carmax, it had 55,000 miles on it. The car report didn't reveal anything shocking, yet about two months later, soon after my first oil change (choosing synthetic oil per Lube Tech recommendation) at Jiffy lube, a loud rattling noise would erupt during the morning start, for about 2-3 seconds. Occasionally it would rattle later in the morning as I traveled from job to job. As the day went on, no rattle. I did some research and assumed I'd inherited a faulty VCT actuator.

But the engine didn't sound right. When the automatic transmission transitioned between gears the engine would 'whir', and as time went by, it got louder and eventually the oil light came on when I would decelerate or accelerate. I checked the oil level...empty.

I quickly took it to a nearby Jiffy Lube and they confirmed - less than a quart of oil. I've not noticed any oil slicks under the car where I park, never have. They pumped in 4.4 quarts of synthetic and off I went. The car ran peacefully, but weeks later the rattling returned as did the whirring. I headed back to Jiffy Lube this morning and the tech confirmed - less than a quart of oil in the case.

This tech opined that it wasn't an oil leak, but oil burning off because the previous owner likely didn't use Synthetic oil (and now I was at 60,000+ miles) and that damaged the pistons and the environment they were performing in. He said he felt "shavings" in the oil he'd removed. He suggested I add an additive (Lucas) to "thicken" the oil.

Here's my question - is what the tech saying reasonable? Should I continue using synthetic oil if the car has only known conventional oil? The "damage" is likely permanent, so should I look to repair IR, and what might that cost me? I'm an inspector, I put 500+ miles a week in the car. I lose the car, I lose money.

I appreciate ANY insight!

Shane

·
Registered
23 Posts
About 7 months ago I bought a 2010 Honda CR-V EX from Carmax, it had 55,000 miles on it. The car report didn't reveal anything shocking, yet about two months later, soon after my first oil change (choosing synthetic oil per Lube Tech recommendation) at Jiffy lube, a loud rattling noise would erupt during the morning start, for about 2-3 seconds. Occasionally it would rattle later in the morning as I traveled from job to job. As the day went on, no rattle. I did some research and assumed I'd inherited a faulty VCT actuator.

But the engine didn't sound right. When the automatic transmission transitioned between gears the engine would 'whir', and as time went by, it got louder and eventually the oil light came on when I would decelerate or accelerate. I checked the oil level...empty.

I quickly took it to a nearby Jiffy Lube and they confirmed - less than a quart of oil. I've not noticed any oil slicks under the car where I park, never have. They pumped in 4.4 quarts of synthetic and off I went. The car ran peacefully, but weeks later the rattling returned as did the whirring. I headed back to Jiffy Lube this morning and the tech confirmed - less than a quart of oil in the case.

This tech opined that it wasn't an oil leak, but oil burning off because the previous owner likely didn't use Synthetic oil (and now I was at 60,000+ miles) and that damaged the pistons and the environment they were performing in. He said he felt "shavings" in the oil he'd removed. He suggested I add an additive (Lucas) to "thicken" the oil.

Here's my question - is what the tech saying reasonable? Should I continue using synthetic oil if the car has only known conventional oil? The "damage" is likely permanent, so should I look to repair IR, and what might that cost me? I'm an inspector, I put 500+ miles a week in the car. I lose the car, I lose money.

I appreciate ANY insight!

Shane
NO THAT IS A BUNCH OF BS!!!! Don't believe it and don't waste your money on any additives! NO way shape or form did the synthetic oil do any damage to your engine, it's just not possible!

I believe your problem is excessive oil consumption. Check the link, you are covered under the extended factory warranty for 8 years or 125,000 miles.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/honda-accord-cr-v-warranties-extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm

·
Administrator
3,401 Posts
I'm just wondering if you checked the oil level after the change. If it was ok, great. But should we be questioning whether or not jiffy lube actually refilled the engine properly?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,408 Posts
Agree with rocky, you (as an owner) need to verify oil level after a change and note usage from there.

You cannot assume that just because a receipt says "4.4 qts of oil" that the tech pumped that much in!

+++++++++

If you visit a Honda dealer regards the consumption issue, they will first do their own monitoring test.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Many of the quick-lube techs have minimal training and overall, the shops aren't known to be the most knowledgeable in anything other than kinda-sorta sticking fluids into openings under the hood, and upselling customers on maintenance that isn't required at that time.

I'd check the level in their driveway right after pulling out of the bay, just to make certain it is at the proper level on the dipstick, and monitor it daily to get a feel for how much it is using. As mentioned above, excess burning of oil would be fouling the spark plugs (and can eventually ruin your catalytic converter). Oil leakage should be obvious--oil pan, camshaft or crankshaft seals, valve cover gasket, etc., would all exhibit some grime on the exterior of the engine.

Since there apparently is a recall for excessive consumption, have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I would think the car would smoke like crazy using that much oil, but, possibly not the case here. My daughter had an Accord ('98) that would burn oil, but it'd take her about a month to burn 1 qt. Her car didn't smoke either except a slight blue haze at startup.
Curious as to where all your oil is going.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I would think the car would smoke like crazy using that much oil, but, possibly not the case here. My daughter had an Accord ('98) that would burn oil, but it'd take her about a month to burn 1 qt. Her car didn't smoke either except a slight blue haze at startup.
Curious as to where all your oil is going.
I once had a car that burned a quart of oil every hundred miles and it didn't smoke at all. I put rings in it and the oil consumption stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - outstanding advice here, and I so appreciate the time and knowledge offered.

Downloaded - that will now be a life long habit from now on.

Sparky - I'm heading to the Honda dealer this week. That link is spot-on.

Rocky & Carbuff - my initial thought was Jiffy Lube shorted me. I'll from now on monitor before and after when dealing with them.

Wildcat - thanks for the insight as to what resembles oil loss in its various forms. I've asked Jiffy about oil spray, they said no, looks clean under the carriage. No smoke during driving as far as I can tell.

20CRV - I'm wondering I all the oil is going as well. Hopefully the Honda dealer will have some answers.

Osbornk - I'm burning upwards of 3 quarts over a 1000 miles (3 weeks). Rings...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to exhume an old thread.....if the CRV is low (not so low that warning lights come on or anything) on oil, does it act like its having VTC actuator issues like mentioned in TSB 09-010?

A friend '12 CRV did this for the first time last week, and he is selling to another friend in a month. He added some oil and the symptoms stopped. We all just want to make sure that this isn't actually the problem mentioned in the TSB. Current owner bought it new from the dealership, roughly 160k miles on it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
132 Posts
Did you ever check the oil yourself? On my 2003 I had a VTC actuator problem and it made the engine use oil but not as much as yours(supposedly) my engine made noise and vibrated, and it also popped a Engine check light code. cost about 100 from Honda as the low price auto parts one did not work at all ( 2 of them) anyway easy to replace mounted on the upper L/H rear face of the engine as you are looking at it from the from couple 10 MM bolts very little mess once changed, cleared code drove car and within a mile engine ran perfect, that was a year ago no problems since,
Now your issue maybe a VTC actuator but I thing you have another issue also, as on person said check your plugs for oil burning as this oil is going someplace. Why no code the VTC is monitored, go to dealer or a GOOD import Mechanic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts