Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know there have been other threads about certain rattles and TSB's for heater cores, but I think I'm experiencing something different and wondering if others are, as well. On my 2019 EXL, I've noticed that when I drive over a large bump or at a decent speed over speed bumps, there's a loud and short rattle coming from the defroster vent. It almost sounds like something in there is loose or rubbing against another piece. When I hold my hand on the defroster vent, it goes away.

Dealership heard the noise and padded down the vent and surrounding area, and said they couldn't replicate the noise, however I heard it again on my drive home. It's not constant and annoying enough to go back, so I'll wait for my next oil change to have them look again -- but wondering if anyone has experienced this and has a fix I can recommend to them (or can do myself).

I'll try to post a video later today.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There’s a video in this thread. Is this the sound you are experiencing? It might be more frequent in the video due to driving over bumpy gravel.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds similar to what I'm hearing, though mine are way less frequent -- pretty much only happens when I drive at higher speed over a speed bump, or if I drive into a fairly deep pothole (both unfortunately common here in Atlanta).

Attaching a video here. Its a short video, but you can hear the rattle faintly twice. The first is a bit higher pitched, and the second is a bit deeper.

Any idea what it could be?

What's strange is that when I recreated the sound with the tech at the dealership, pressing down on the defroster vent is what caused it to go away, so I'm cautious to think that it's a suspension issue... but stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That does sound different than in the video I linked to. Sorry but I don’t know about that one. Almost sounds like one of the protective covers under the body of the car is loose. But if the sound went away by holding down the vent area, that couldn’t be it. Maybe it was just coincidence that the sound went away when you pushed down on the vent, or does it continue to go away if you push in the same spot?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe it was just coincidence that the sound went away when you pushed down on the vent, or does it continue to go away if you push in the same spot?
It's possible its a coincidence, though seemed to align with when I was applying pressure to the area. I'm considering taking the plastic cover off (if its easy to do, do you know?) and seeing if the noise persists. If so, its either something inside that vent (which to my knowledge is literally just a supply vent) or something else. Thoughts on that approach?

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's possible its a coincidence, though seemed to align with when I was applying pressure to the area. I'm considering taking the plastic cover off (if its easy to do, do you know?) and seeing if the noise persists. If so, its either something inside that vent (which to my knowledge is literally just a supply vent) or something else. Thoughts on that approach?
While I haven’t taken apart the CRV dashboard area, I have on other cars and it’s always been a big pain in the ass. Hopefully someone with actual CRV experience can chime in on that. Perhaps the vent area doesn’t require you to dismantle to whole dash to get to it. One other thing that came to mind that I found another user on here posted while I was researching my noise issue, which is related to the post I linked earlier, is that they had a noise that was being caused by loose cable. They said they got under the area where the brake/gas pedal are and zip tied some cables that ran up towards that corner area by the vent and that stopped the noise for them.

·
Registered
20' CRV EX-L 2 wd
37 Posts
I heard on gen 5 (17-20), that a slight banging noise over bumps and or while turning could be a tranny mount actually. To me it sounds like a cable is banging on something though. I heard from a friend that works a Honda dealer that there is a TSB coming out for that noise I'm describing I think soon. Its one issue I notice on my 20' ex-l within th3 1st week of taking delivery.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard on gen 5 (17-20), that a slight banging noise over bumps and or while turning could be a tranny mount actually. To me it sounds like a cable is banging on something though. I heard from a friend that works a Honda dealer that there is a TSB coming out for that noise I'm describing I think soon. Its one issue I notice on my 20' ex-l within th3 1st week of taking delivery.
Thanks! I'd be interested to hear if the TSB does come out. I'm due for Service soon, and given that this noise is strangely only noticeable in warm weather, I'm hopeful that its something plastic-piece related, rather than an transmission mount problem.

Do you have an example of the rattle you hear in your car?

·
Registered
20' CRV EX-L 2 wd
37 Posts
I think best way I can describe is just like if there was a thick cable, wire, brake line running from front to back under the unibody that was loose enough to hit let’s say the “floorboard” over speed bumps or while turning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts