Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1999 crv with 181k and i like it a lot but im getting a low idle around 400 so i replaced the iacv and that did not fix the problem. checked the throttle cable and its where it should be. also checked the timing and its spot on where it should be. also when im driving the rpm's will bottom out when im coming to a stop the go back to normal. as for the loud ticking noise. it sounds like its coming from the number 3 cylinder spot because if it idles for a long period of time it will throw a check engine light with a misfire in cylinder 3 so i did a compression test and all 4 cylinders came back good with around 135 psi in each one. ive changed plugs and even adjusted the valves and nothing seems to work. after driving it and coming to a stop the ticking noise will go away then come back after about 5 seconds after it idles down and the oil pressure dopes. i know that the crv is are own for burnt valves but why didn't it show up in a compression test? so before i pull the head off. i wanted to get on here and see if anyone has any ides of what else it might be.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
A compression test won't necessarily show/indicate burned valves. Do a leak down test to find the problem cylinder.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Maybe it is one of the spark plug wires arcing. In a dark place or at night, with the engine running, open the hood and mist some water (spray bottle with misty type sprayer nozzle) on the spark plug wires and see if you are getting some flash-overs. I wouldn't be touching the car body,while spraying, just in case. :eek:
Sometimes the ignition coils in the 1 st gen crv's start getting weaker due to internal shorting.
Here is one link that may be useful for ignition problems: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/honda-ignition-system-tests-1
Also check the links under the Similar Threads header below these posts.

Buffalo4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts