Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first and only brand new car ever purchased. The car does what it is suppose to without any major/minor issues. Yet, there is a part of me now wondering if its time to switch the 2006 for a “used CR-V” 2016-2019 era. Or, consider a new 2020 CR-V, Subaru Forester or Toyota RAV? BTW, my age is mid-70s…if that makes any difference. Need some input.

·
Registered
2011 Honda CR-V EXL
150 Posts
This mid 80's guy thinks the biggest factor in making your decision is money. What ever you can do that will not have a negative impact on your comfort and life style would seem to be o.k.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Moved to Gen 2 section, as vehicle related posts not allowed in this section.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
540 Posts
The first and only brand new car ever purchased. The car does what it is suppose to without any major/minor issues. Yet, there is a part of me now wondering if its time to switch the 2006 for a “used CR-V” 2016-2019 era. Or, consider a new 2020 CR-V, Subaru Forester or Toyota RAV? BTW, my age is mid-70s…if that makes any difference. Need some input.
Not knowing any other particulars about your present ride, here are a couple of things to consider.
1. Have you had your '06 checked out by a mechanic? Get it inspected as if you were going to buy it. Depending on number of miles driven, your V might still be in good mechanical shape. Wear and tear items will always need to be replaced, but it would be nice to know it there are any major decisions to be made in the near future.
2. At our age, driving needs change significantly. Primary job now is to get you & your significant other reliably around in safety, comfort, & style. If your '06 can do that, your best decision may be to keep it.
3. Is your new vehicle going to be your "forever" car? If so, do diligent homework on all models you are thinking of purchasing.
4. Does the "new" vehicle have to be "new"? Can you consider low mileage pre-owned options? Again, do your homework when going this route. Forum moderator Kloker has many thoughts on that route.

Good luck with your decision. Keep everyone here informed.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Please don't make duplicate threads after this. Thanks. One thing I didn't mention on the other one was all the what ifs? By now I know you're super familiar with the '06. You know what to expect. You can pretty much take i t for granted. You also know it's condition and reliability, at least until something else breaks. Right? So there are a certain number of what ifs with it. Now put that up against a new car. Of course a new car will be shiny and smell good, and look new, etc. But, and here we go - What if the seats are less comfortable? Even to the point of causing pain? I've read similar complaints here. What if you get a Monday or Friday car? You know. One that was built on Friday, when they were in a hurry to get out to door to go party. Or Monday, when they return, suffering from all that partying? What if the car has one or more of the major glitches that have come up in the newer Gen 5's? Anything from engine issues to the new tech malfunctioning,and the head unit constantly glitching out - things like that. What if you want to do an audio upgrade and find you can't because of the integration issues? What if you don't like the CVT transmission, or what if it doesn't hold up over time? There are many knowns with your '06 that would be unknowns with a new car. And the biggest one of all is - What if you later realize you made a mistake? Heck, you've just gotten the '06 broken in good, now you are starting to get your money's worth out of it. It is highly likely to last another 125k easily. What if moving to a new model is a waste of money? So what if money is not an issue? Does that mean you should waste a bunch? You know when you buy a new car you lose a huge amount by just driving it off the lot, even if you pay cash.

There are a lot of things to consider. When I was young, those new cars were too shiny, and I had to have them, regardless of the cost. I'm smarter than that now. I think. So, just some things to consider before, instead of after, you make the jump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts