Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I bought a used 2005 cr-v Lx about a month ago and have been reading posts on this forum since then. I’ve found some great stuff here. I have purchased and installed a Weathertech bug shield, installed the larger leather driver’s side armrest, and spent 5 ½ hours sewing on a Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover. I like all the upgrades, but the Wheelskins was probably a once in a lifetime experience!

But, there are a few things I would like to ask that I haven’t found clear answers to.

1. The noise. This is the noisiest vehicle I have ever owned in terms of road noise. The engine, the tires, the wind, other cars and trucks, there is just a lot of noise coming from the road and surroundings. I put new Yokahama tires on it but that didn’t help much. Has anyone had any success quieting down the noise in a Gen2 V?

2. The bumps. I live in Erie, Pa. Pothole capital of Christendom. On a smooth street, which is very rare in our town, the ride is nice. But, I cringe every time I hit a bump or minor pothole because it just feels like it jars the entire car. I feel it in the seat, the dash sounds like it was hit with a hammer. I have had the shocks and struts and springs checked and all is fine. Is there anything I could do to get a smoother ride out of this car?

Thank you!

·
Registered
352 Posts
i don't think there's too much that you can do. but i am interested to hear what other people have to say.

I have the same dislikes that you do (2004 model), and I think that the harsh ride is a product of adding so much weight relative to the Civic - in order to keep handling acceptably firm, stiffer springs & shocks are needed. Add to that a fairly short wheelbase, just over 100 inches, and it doesn't really surprise me per se that I am getting bounced around a bit over rough terrain.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
GEt yuorself some nice comfort tires, pull off all the interior paneling, insulate the doors with something other than a 2mm thick piece of white plastic, and then replace all the panels, and you will have yourself a smooth, quiet ride.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Set the tire pressure to the factory recommended pressure -- don't panic, even thought it's low, it seems to work well and no noticable side wear. I scoped all 4 tires before I did this and 5,000 Km's later they are still linear.

My '98 CR-V is much less jumpy over our pot holes (we run 2nd to you, I think). Didn't help the road noise, though. :cool:

Try it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Set the tire pressure to the factory recommended pressure -- don't panic, even thought it's low, it seems to work well and no noticable side wear. I scoped all 4 tires before I did this and 5,000 Km's later they are still linear.

My '98 CR-V is much less jumpy over our pot holes (we run 2nd to you, I think). Didn't help the road noise, though. :cool:

Try it.
Second the Tire pressure.

Just took delivery of '09 (new), after 1 week ownership decided to check tire pressure. Dealer filled tires to 40 psi but what moron that does the PDI would leave it at 40 ? Door post calls for 30. Adjusted pressure & ride is better with expansion joints not jarring as bad Road noise is also less.

I always start at the factory recommended pressure and adjust for my driving style as the tires start to show wear.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not much you can do economically maybe a bit of insulation on the door panels but most of that noise is under the car it has a pretty flat floor resulting in a resonating sound you can professionally insulate the car but it is going to cost a ton. Avoid the whole tires making a difference unless you have real off road winter tires and go to a racing slicks the difference is slight at best as for bumpy ride lower pressure to manufacturers PSI that might make a difference there really isn't and aftermarket option for smoother ride for a real affordable cost maybe an air ride system but again that's thousands of dollars into a decently priced family car. You will get used to the noise but there really is no economically effective way to rid the V of its inherent flaws, Honda does this to push its consumer base up to the Acura line which is much quieter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, I took your advise. Door says 29 psi so I brought the pressure down to 29 in all 4 tires and it has helped. The smaller bumps aren't jaring anymore. In fact the car has a very nice ride now. Thank you.

I guess I can live with the noise, was planning on putting a new stereo in it, if i get to putting new speakers in then maybe I'll do something to sound proof the doors.

Hipp

·
Registered
352 Posts
yeah i'll second that, i found out my car was at like 32psi and the recommended is something much lower! i have only brought it down 1psi so far (i like fuel economy) but i imagine that overinflation is most people's problem, because i have yet to hear of a CRV owner complain of underinflation.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a Civic Hybrid and a CR-V, both 2006 and they are both noisy. I'm not sure, but I think the tires cup and then get noisy? My car seemed quite when I first drove it, but not for long.I keep removing rocks from the treads and this helps some.:confused:Hal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts