Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's May in Florida....and that means love bugs all over the front of your car.
People have been devising screens for over the radiator; because the love bugs get lodged in the radiator and cause overheating...especially in the hot Florida weather.
Further....if you leave the love bugs on your cars paint, it will eat into the paint or clearcoat.
What I've done is sprayed Pam, the skillet spray on the front, headlights, mirrors, etc. They come off easily but you have to get them off within a day.
This is a photo of a typical car that traveled down the highway with love bugs all around.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
943 Posts
When i used to take my supercharged si down to florida to visit my family(2006) . I would wrap the whole front in painters tape then just peel off and toss for the ride down!

·
Registered
2020 Honda CRV Touring
53 Posts
Try riding through that on a motorcycle!

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,109 Posts
In Texas, this goes on from the last freeze to the first one, which is most of the year. I'm a retired linehaul driver, so I'll offer some helpful hints:

1. Don't go motorcycle riding.
2. If you do, don't smile.
3. The best paint protection is a good multi-coat wax job.
4. Remove bugs as gently as possible. No sandpaper, steel wool, or wire wheels. Keeping them wet for a little bit will soften them some.
5. Remove them as soon as possible. The longer they stay, the more the heat, sunlight, and time combine to bake them on.
6. Use a mild pressure washer only after bugs are off, to clean radiator/condenser and crevices. 3,500 psi will bend the fins on your condenser.
7. Constant tailgating is not a viable solution, even behind big trucks. Especially if you make a mistake. Which will only happen once.
8. A good, driving rainstorm will help, but is only temporary, as the bugs come back out in force when the rain stops.
9. Do not use a buffer or hard scrubbing pad. If you do, your micro-thin paint will soon be gone.
10. Don't use wipers/washers to clean windshield en route. Stop at a station and do it right.
11. Swerving will not work. Ask me how I know. Also, it scares the four-wheelers.
12. Insect repellent also will not work. They don't really ever have time to smell it at 70 mph.
13. Be careful using any preventive coatings, as most don't work very well anyway and may contain chemicals harsh to your paint.
14. If there are woodpeckers where you live, clean the bugs off ASAP. Otherwise the damage could get deeper.
15. Driving faster or slower will not help. You are going to the bugs - it's not the other way around.
16. Honking also does not help, as the wind noise drowns it out and the bugs can't hear it until it's too late anyway.
17. Bugs are not really the worst thing. Bats are worse. Especially the smell of a bat cooking in the radiator of your big truck. Trust me on this.
18. Practicing techniques for bug removal is good, as this problem will never be going away.
19. You wouldn't wish it anyway, because anything that kills the insects is not going to be good for us either.
20. At least these are smaller insects. I have run through swarms of them that were big enough to make you duck.

Feel free to add to this list any hints you may have! :)

·
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
3,109 Posts
My caption for his picture would be "Splat-a-tat-tat!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts