Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost my drivers side low beam tonight, called Autozone and the kid talked about different bulbs with various brightness. Is there a standard bulb I should be purchasing.

Any tips or tricks to replace the low beam bulb

thanks for any info

·
Registered
86 Posts
All you had to do was give him the year of the crv and he could've looked it up on their computers. Google
"(year) honda crv headlight bulb" to get the bulb size

·
Registered
252 Posts
Both high and low beams are in the same standard bulb (I believe #9003) that should be easily available. There is a trend right now where the "high brightness" models are popular with advertisers, but many of them are simply tinted with a blue dye coating to give them that 'HID look' and the reality is nearly all of them are the same wattage. You can't go wrong with any major brand 'normal' bulb such as Phillips.

All that said, I found the Philips VisionPlus works well for me, they are one of the few that are actually are a few watts more powerful than standard (60/67 watts vs 50/55 watts) and I feel they provide a measurable improvement in night driving. The tradeoff is they are a bit more expensive and also more wattage = less life so they won't last as long as standard bulbs, however these have been reviewed to be the better of the high power bulbs and I've been happy with them so far (had them about 7 months so far and as I drive before dawn most of the year they work for me).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I changed both low beam bulbs on my 05 CRV, h1 bulbs. I am having trouble smoking them. Hey seem to fit randomly in the housing and there is no specific location where it snaps in. This cause the bulb to aim at random heights, aim high, aim low, etc. I take it out and put it back in several times and each time it is aimed at a different height. Am I doing something wrong? I do not see a obvious way to put it in where it locks in place in a specific position.

I am also interested in finding a LED a lighting kit as well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I changed both low beam bulbs on my 05 CRV, h1 bulbs. I am having trouble smoking them. Hey seem to fit randomly in the housing and there is no specific location where it snaps in. This cause the bulb to aim at random heights, aim high, aim low, etc. I take it out and put it back in several times and each time it is aimed at a different height. Am I doing something wrong? I do not see a obvious way to put it in where it locks in place in a specific position.

I am also interested in finding a LED a lighting kit as well.
My 03 has a metal clip that holds the #9003 bulb in place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 03 has a metal clip that holds the #9003 bulb in place.
It does have a metal clip that holds it in place, but I can put the bulb in random positions and it will hold it in these random positions. I haven't found a repeatable position to say it goes in this position and that's the right position.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I know my 2004 had a recall to replace the headlight switch that was causing my headlights to burn out in very short times. I probably replaced both headlights 20 times over the past 13 years. I got so good at it I could do it blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back. The recall was probably out in the last four or five years. I think since the switch was replaced I've only had to change the bulbs out once.

I believe that recall was for all second generation CR-V's because friends had the same problem on their 2005 and 2006.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It does have a metal clip that holds it in place, but I can put the bulb in random positions and it will hold it in these random positions. I haven't found a repeatable position to say it goes in this position and that's the right position.
I can't offhand remember which way the orientation is. In my fuzzy memory, I remember 3 electrical prongs on the bulb, oriented only one way that fit correctly. Perhaps you can check the orientation of the prongs on the other side?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember 3 electrical prongs on the bulb, oriented only one way that fit correctly. Perhaps you can check the orientation of the prongs on the other side?
The facelift version uses the h1 bulb, which is a 3/4 semicircle, with a flat side. I did not see anything for the flat side to rest against to give it a repeatable position.

The pre-facelift with the prongs is easy. This one is giving me a hard time. I am not getting a good beam pattern out.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just changed all the H1 Bulbs in my car 2 days ago.
Yes it's a semi circle bulb and I positioned mine downwards and they
fit very nice and I had zero installation problems with a
great light pattern--Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I positioned mine downwards and they
fit very nice and I had zero installation problems with a
great light pattern
How did you position urs down? Was it the flat part of the semi circle that you put down?
Mine seemed fine at first, until I drove and I realize it was shining high, the I started playing with it and realized I could move it all around even while clipped. It did not have a fixed position. Then I realized that I couldn't get it to give an exact repeatable position every time.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The light is fitting into a cut out slot.
When installing it, the flat part is either facing up or you can face it down.
I made mine face down and then used the light clip
in the fixture to secure the bulb. EASY.
Then install rubber boot--Plug wire into light.
The wire harness will us two of the contacts so it will be horizontal.

Do One--make sure it is done right--repeat procedure for each light.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The light is fitting into a cut out slot.
When installing it, the flat part is either facing up or you can face it down.
I made mine face down and then used the light clip
in the fixture to secure the bulb. EASY.
Then install rubber boot--Plug wire into light.
The wire harness will us two of the contacts so it will be horizontal.

Do One--make sure it is done right--repeat procedure for each light.
This is it. Really the color shade is a personal preference. I prefer a whiter/bluer tint but the regular/VR and CV work well considering they are halogen. The fitting isn't tight like in many vehicles. It's all about getting the mousetrap spring unit on correctly and being sure the rubber boot is seated on the exterior and interior to prevent excess moisture from creeping in.

While changing out the entire headlight assembly I figured this out. When just replacing bulbs it's pretty difficult to see how important getting both parts of the rubber seated are.

I'm going to change out my daughters bulbs in 2 weeks when visiting her at University.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts