Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I the only owner of a new 2019 Honda CRV-EX-L who feels unsafe driving at night due to headlight problems?
I purchased my new vehicle in June. (Previously leased the 2016 model for 3 years from same dealer and LOVED it!). I live in a rural area and am accustomed to frequent long distance night driving depending on safe headlight performance. However, in low beam mode on a dark night, my vision with this vehicle is limited to a "sliver" toward the bottom of the windshield, while the remainder of the glass turns black. The dealer has replaced the windshield, calibrated the security/sensor system and adjusted the headlights at least once to no avail. The dealership owner admitted to the defect in person and instructed the salesman to "make it right", but then denied it when American Honda Motors made their inquiry. He and the general manager (his son) and service manager have denied any responsibility to me stating the headlight system meets Honda required performance standards and there are no recalls for this issue. I have been informed by AHM that my case with them has been closed as they must always respect their dealers' decisions. I have exhausted options to repair or replace the car and am now a fugitive in my country home after sundown. Has anyone shared this or a similar experience and do you have any information to "shed some light" on what options I may have? The dealer has offered to replace my car if I pay almost $4000 in addition to the original purchase of this 5-month-old disappointment.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The oem ex low beams are fine even as halogens (you could have waited and gotten a 2020 now with leds)

i changed out my ex headlights to touring leds but the ex was fine. My wifes work equinox 2018 is HID and the halogens on the crv omit more light.

before the 70yr old members here telling you about 1980 gmc jimmys & other irrelevant stuff saying your going to blind them..just pop on amazon and order some led bulbs and put them in test the difference and that SHOULD be what your looking for

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Pretty sure the 2019 has LED but will certainly look into this. A master mechanic did tell me problems started in 2017, including with his wife's Infiniti. Maybe 2020 is the fix, but someone certainly has done a good job hiding the problem. Thank you so much for your suggestion. So grateful to know someone outside the manufacturer and dealership can think!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Pretty sure the 2019 has LED but will certainly look into this. A master mechanic did tell me problems started in 2017, including with his wife's Infiniti. Maybe 2020 is the fix, but someone certainly has done a good job hiding the problem. Thank you so much for your suggestion. So grateful to know someone outside the manufacturer and dealership can think!
Prior to the 2020 mid-life refresh of the CRV.. only the Touring trim came with LED headlights.

I've seen the lights at night on non-Touring trim levels, and they look fine to me in terms of road illumination, though the LEDS on the Touring trim level is by far superior.... both in light distribution as well as light color (Daylight, or 5K temperature).

One of the reasons I bought a Touring trim on my 2017 was for the LED headlights, since I have older eyes and want better road illumination then I needed when I was younger. That feature alone is ~$2K in price, since the light assemblies sell for nearly $1K each.

As for the circle-fest you describe with your dealer above.... I don't get it. 1) The headlights, the windshield, and the Camera system in the windshield ALL must meet federal standards for safety and effectiveness. 2) I don't buy the statement about this being a windshield problem either.. so I can see why Honda would push back on the dealer about that. I could buy that the headlights might have a defect or something and need to be adjusted or replaced.. but that's about it.

And, driving at night on dark country roads.. why on earth would you not have your highbeams on, for safety reasons??

Tip for the future though.... test drive the vehicle you want.. on a night test drive on a dark street before committing to purchase. That said.. within a few years.. most vehicles will indeed be all LED headlights with Daylight color temperatures.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
The first time the wifey and I headed out after dark when our V was new, we both thought the headlights were awesome........and still think so.🤷‍♂️ The auto hi-beam is great.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,742 Posts
X2: appreciating modern Auto-Highbeam systems.

As williamsji mentioned, often all you need is an adjustment of the factory setting on low beams. These seem to be set up for a vehicle with it's full rated load. With one or two passengers (in the front seats) you can go higher, making the beam pattern go farther down the road, without blinding oncoming drivers!

I always recommend raising the factory-set low beams, they often only singe the asphalt immediately in front of the car.

+++++++++++

<RANT> : Today's modern SUPER-REFLECTIVE warning signs can blind you if your headlamps are TOO bright! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
🐟 smell.

·
Registered
360 Posts
<RANT> : Today's modern SUPER-REFLECTIVE warning signs can blind you if your headlamps are TOO bright! :mad: :mad: :mad:
As you didn't end the rant section I'll continue: the reflective signs on the Autobahn are so bright that the auto high-beam switches off right after switching on because it thinks it's oncoming traffic.</rant>

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for your input. Really like the recommendation of CarBuff2. The lights were raised slightly but I don't believe anyone was in the vehicle!
The windshield was originally suspected because it was a replacement at 1600 miles (a flying stone shattered the original) and was discovered not to be OEM! However, once replaced by the OEM glass, the dealership concurred with me that the lights are the problem. (They just neglected to mention that to the manufacturer.)
Regarding the safety issue of driving with low beams on dark country roads at night, I typically keep the lights on Auto. Oncoming drivers tend to frown on high beams in their face; snowflakes appear as meteor showers in the bright light; and the deer feeding along the sides of the road (or darting across) are much more visible in low beams. I will give the CR-V credit for recognizing these factors.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
The windshield was originally suspected because it was a replacement at 1600 miles (a flying stone shattered the original) and was discovered not to be OEM! However, once replaced by the OEM glass, the dealership concurred with me that the lights are the problem. (They just neglected to mention that to the manufacturer.)
This is an ongoing problem with Honda dealers, and Honda. Once they see a non OEM part... they immediately blame that part for an issue. o_O

This is particularly true with windshields... because Honda has advised dealers that a non OEM windshield might inhibit proper function of Honda Sensings camera assembly. Honda has a point I guess (since it is always possible to have some truly substandard glass sourced) .. but the fact remains.. a properly manufactured non-OEM windshield that is installed properly IS NOT AN ISSUE. Virtually every non-OEM windshield produced and used for replacements these days in North America are actually produced on the same glass factory lines, by the same companies that produce OEM glass for Honda. The only possible issue really is that the installer did a bad job on installing the new glass, or the windshield was out of spec on it's camera mount point (which is factory installed on a tooling jig) ... and as such the camera might require re-calibration at worst. Both the tint and the transparency characteristics on a windshield have to meet federal safety specs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I the only owner of a new 2019 Honda CRV-EX-L who feels unsafe driving at night due to headlight problems?
I purchased my new vehicle in June. (Previously leased the 2016 model for 3 years from same dealer and LOVED it!). I live in a rural area and am accustomed to frequent long distance night driving depending on safe headlight performance. However, in low beam mode on a dark night, my vision with this vehicle is limited to a "sliver" toward the bottom of the windshield, while the remainder of the glass turns black. The dealer has replaced the windshield, calibrated the security/sensor system and adjusted the headlights at least once to no avail. The dealership owner admitted to the defect in person and instructed the salesman to "make it right", but then denied it when American Honda Motors made their inquiry. He and the general manager (his son) and service manager have denied any responsibility to me stating the headlight system meets Honda required performance standards and there are no recalls for this issue. I have been informed by AHM that my case with them has been closed as they must always respect their dealers' decisions. I have exhausted options to repair or replace the car and am now a fugitive in my country home after sundown. Has anyone shared this or a similar experience and do you have any information to "shed some light" on what options I may have? The dealer has offered to replace my car if I pay almost $4000 in addition to the original purchase of this 5-month-old disappointment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you check the IIHS or the other major crash / safety testing sites, you will see that the headlights are not rated even "GOOD." Same problem the RAV-4 has and the reason the Subaru Forrester can claim that it is safer then the CRV. That said, it is illegal in the US to change those to LEDs unless you change the entire assembly, and even then it may be a problem. Change to one of the better halogens from GE, Philips, or Sylvania and it will help. I have run tests with a light meter. Philips, however, seems to be real inconsistent from bulb to bulb. The life of any of the "brighter" bulbs will be less, by a lot, but we need to see the road. To my thinking, a class action suite should be filed against Honda and any manufacturer releasing a vehicle with headlights that fall in the "fair" or "poor" rating. There are even LED headlights, like those of the RAV-4 that are rated badly. There is no excuse for it. In the US, you can replace the "fog" lights with LEDs and that helps a little too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks all for your input. Really like the recommendation of CarBuff2. The lights were raised slightly but I don't believe anyone was in the vehicle!
Regarding the safety issue of driving with low beams on dark country roads at night, I typically keep the lights on Auto. Oncoming drivers tend to frown on high beams in their face; snowflakes appear as meteor showers in the bright light; and the deer feeding along the sides of the road (or darting across) are much more visible in low beams. I will give the CR-V credit for recognizing these factors.
I grew up in a small town and much of my highway driving was in the country. Use high beams unless there is oncoming traffic I always use high beams at night outside of towns and cities. Living in a rural area of Arizona, I get plenty of practice doing that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is an ongoing problem with Honda dealers, and Honda. Once they see a non OEM part... they immediately blame that part for an issue. o_O

This is particularly true with windshields... because Honda has advised dealers that a non OEM windshield might inhibit proper function of Honda Sensings camera assembly. Honda has a point I guess (since it is always possible to have some truly substandard glass sourced) .. but the fact remains.. a properly manufactured non-OEM windshield that is installed properly IS NOT AN ISSUE. Virtually every non-OEM windshield produced and used for replacements these days in North America are actually produced on the same glass factory lines, by the same companies that produce OEM glass for Honda. The only possible issue really is that the installer did a bad job on installing the new glass, or the windshield was out of spec on it's camera mount point (which is factory installed on a tooling jig) ... and as such the camera might require re-calibration at worst. Both the tint and the transparency characteristics on a windshield have to meet federal safety specs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The oem ex low beams are fine even as halogens (you could have waited and gotten a 2020 now with leds)

i changed out my ex headlights to touring leds but the ex was fine. My wifes work equinox 2018 is HID and the halogens on the crv omit more light.

before the 70yr old members here telling you about 1980 gmc jimmys & other irrelevant stuff saying your going to blind them..just pop on amazon and order some led bulbs and put them in test the difference and that SHOULD be what your looking for
I have a 2018 CR-V EX. Did you just order the Touring LED lights for your vehicle? I've been looking to do this for sometime and I don't want to mess around with aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The story just gets worse. First HONDA Motors rejected my case with them based on my dealer's assurance that the windshield and lights meet required federal safety standards. NOT! Now a NYS Lemon Law legal firm has also rejected my case, saying the "flying rock" was the cause of the visibility problem by compromising the lighting system, which was never recognized even with a security calibration after two replacement windshields. According to them I can not prove anything and I do not have a sufficient number of work orders to demonstrate that the dealer has made multiple attempts to resolve the situation. (That is because there was no charge involved for multiple service visits, just guessing games as to the cause of the problem and what-if attempts to adjust lights.) I am now pursuing an expensive independent analysis which may or may not lead back to the manufacturer's warranty or my insurance claim for the shattered windshield. Otherwise, looks like I'm stuck with a 2019 CR-V EX-L 🍋 which can only be driven safely in the daytime or amid bright city lights at night.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a 2018 CR-V EX. Did you just order the Touring LED lights for your vehicle? I've been looking to do this for sometime and I don't want to mess around with aftermarket lights.
i sourced mine when the 2017 had just come out and lights were very scarce, now a little more available.
Finding a pair without any damage was the hard part
My total cost ended up being about 400ish if that after i sold the oem lights.

still perfect and wasn’t hard at all

·
Registered
281 Posts
The story just gets worse. First HONDA Motors rejected my case with them based on my dealer's assurance that the windshield and lights meet required federal safety standards. NOT! Now a NYS Lemon Law legal firm has also rejected my case, saying the "flying rock" was the cause of the visibility problem by compromising the lighting system, which was never recognized even with a security calibration after two replacement windshields. According to them I can not prove anything and I do not have a sufficient number of work orders to demonstrate that the dealer has made multiple attempts to resolve the situation. (That is because there was no charge involved for multiple service visits, just guessing games as to the cause of the problem and what-if attempts to adjust lights.) I am now pursuing an expensive independent analysis which may or may not lead back to the manufacturer's warranty or my insurance claim for the shattered windshield. Otherwise, looks like I'm stuck with a 2019 CR-V EX-L 🍋 which can only be driven safely in the daytime or amid bright city lights at night.
sucks to be you.
Sounds like you just regret your purchase and are grasping at any straw you can find to get yourself out of it lol

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

Sorry to say, this comment by you makes absolutely NO sense to me at all.

Glass windshield --> ruled out, OEM glass now, in spec and clearly would meet all federal safety requirements and standards.
Sensors --> ruled out, checked, calibrated, in spec
headlights --> ruled out, checked, adjusted, and meet federal safety standards.

I am not surprised that you are getting nowhere with either Honda or your NYS Lemon Law Legal firm.

From your original post, which for all of us readers.. is your portrayal of events (none of have seen any photographic support for your claims, which could and would help your case in my view) ... the dealer was wrong to make you any guarantees to "make it right" since it appears everything was already right. And Honda clearly called out the dealer for making baseles promises (though I believe the dealer was simply trying to be customer friendly with you). The Lemon Law legal firm is also right not to take your case given the current information presented to them.

You can of course keep going deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole on this one, but in the end.. you are not going to get what you want (which appears to be you want them to buy the car back now and make you financially whole on the transaction).

In my view.. bite the bullet and put a set of touring LED headlight assmeblies into your CRV and call it a day. That is your best outcome, other then living with what you believe to be inferior headlights.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts