Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 CRV with 95,000 miles has recently started showing the low oil pressure light at low speeds, then it goes out after a second or two. Oil pressure at an idle reads 30 psi according to the reader, but no check engine light so it did not throw a code. It is very predictable as you slow down to around 20-40 mph, (comes on and goes off) and it will flash again as you accelerate and the car shifts through the gears. It is also accompanied by a strange vibration that sounds like a muffler shield rattling. Seems to vibrate right before the shift points as you accelerate up thru the gears, then it is gone. No problems at highway speeds whatsoever. Oil was changed just a week ago at a local dealer. Thought of changing the oil filter just in case we got a bad one? Seems like if the oil pressure sensor was bad, it wouldn't come on and off as predictable as it does. Any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
The proper way to troubleshoot issues like this, is to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to ensure that the pressure is not actually low.

But nine times out of 10, the problem is the sender. It is just out of calibration so when the oil is at idle and warm and is thinner it indicates low pressure.

If this issue just came up after the oil was changed, bring it back to the shop. Make sure they didn’t put too thin oil in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Make sure there is enough oil in it. You said you had it changed, very possible they didn't put enough in it or something isn't right and it's leaking.

A rattle as you explained is a symptom of low oil pressure. I would advise against continuing to drive until sorted unless you want to be replacing the engine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when you say most of the time it is the sender, do you mean the oil pressure sensor or is there a separate oil sending unit?

I will double check what viscosity of engine oil they used, and probably change it and the filter myself just to be sure. It says on the fill cap that it calls for 0W-20, I will use that.

Thanks!

The proper way to troubleshoot issues like this, is to hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to ensure that the pressure is not actually low.

But nine times out of 10, the problem is the sender. It is just out of calibration so when the oil is at idle and warm and is thinner it indicates low pressure.

If this issue just came up after the oil was changed, bring it back to the shop. Make sure they didn’t put too thin oil in.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Yes, the oil pressure indicator light is actuated via a switch on the cylinder head. These can fail, or even just leak oil.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
PS: check the oil level first, as Tigris99 said.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bringing this thread back up from the dead, our 2010 CR-V does the EXACT same thing - the rattle noise and low oil pressure light flash. can the OP please respond with what the issue was?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Also, I googled with similar words and I have seen others post on forums and such with 4 cyl accords and CR-V with the exact same symptoms, but no resolution in any of them :( Any help appreciated!

EDIT - I read the oil pump is lubricated by the engine oil and the rattle often means the oil pump is having issues. :(

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
As said previously........have you pulled the dipstick to check the oil level?

·
Registered
43 Posts
yes, I did tonight! No oil registering on dipstick. Oil life say 50% - I have been reading about 2010-11's with oil consumption issues and Honda's extended warranty, that won't cover us as its a 2010 and just turned 100K

Seems like my options are keep dumping oil in it every 1k miles, replace oil or trade it in, I guess!

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
yes, I did tonight! No oil registering on dipstick. Oil life say 50% - I have been reading about 2010-11's with oil consumption issues and Honda's extended warranty, that won't cover us as its a 2010 and just turned 100K

Seems like my options are keep dumping oil in it every 1k miles, replace oil or trade it in, I guess!
You are lucky you 'finally' checked the oil level.
Have you ever had to add oil between changes before?
Sometimes if the engine gets really hot, it will suddenly burn some oil and then be OK after that.
I would sure check the oil level every time you gas up until you get a handle on it. If you add oil be sure to use the recommended weight .
Sometimes a clogged PCV valve will cause oil to disappear. Fairly low cost part and not real difficult to replace. There are youtube vids on doing that.
OilLife indicator is just a guess and a reminder, it has no idea on what the oil level is or it's actual condition.
I would recommend an oil and filter change very soon and keep track of it.
Buffalo4

·
Not-a-Mechanic
365 Posts
Yes, keep it topped up and monitor how much it actually uses. My 2011 uses oil. My solution, I overfill slightly when I change it, it then needs more oil about halfway thru oil life. If it uses a quart every 1000 miles, that's serious.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
If it uses a quart every 1000 miles, that's serious.
Actually, 1 Qt/1000 miles is considered acceptable by most manufacturers.... :rolleyes:

The thing to avoid is letting the oil run low! Check every fill up until you get an indication of oil usage, then check as needed to assure that you don't get below the bottom of the SAFE LEVEL on the dipstick.:geek:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi everyone - My last post was a bit of a panic post and made in a hurry, so let me provide more details.

• Picked up this 2010 CR-V EX-L on 07/06/2019. It had about 92K on it. At Smart Honda of Des Moines
  • Had first oil change done on 10/15/2019 with about 96, 8xx on it. At Smart Honda of Des Moines. Next oil change is scheduled for 101,8xx
  • I drove it this weekend and while accelerating out of our neighborhood, I hear this rattling noise reminiscent of a muffle heatshield and asked wife if she has heard it before, She said she has heard it a few times. I told her to keep me updated.
  • yesterday afternoons, she calls me on the way home and says that twice that day she heard the rattling noise and the oil light flashed. That freaked me out immediately. I check on here and find this post and immediately made a comment asking.
I got online last night and did some research...found the articles about 2010-11 CRV/Accord having oil consumption issues, the TSB etc. and realize

• I had her park it and checked oil on dipstick and of course....nothing registered! Not a good sign
  • I got 5 quarts of Mobil1 0-20 (dealer used same weight) and added in quart by quart. 3 quarts in I am at the top dot on the dipstick.
  • It has about 101,100 on it - So, about 4300 miles and its eaten 3 quarts.
To answer some questions, we have never had to add oil before. I looked into this as soon as I heard of this issue, about the same day, so I have not been putting it off etc.

We were really hoping to give the CRV to our daughter when she turns 15. I am concerned this is going to just get worse.

Can an engine from a 2012-2014 be dropped into this? I found one for $1200 with 56K and wondering if its cheap insurance to get one and keep or drop it in down the road.

I will keep it topped off as advised by all of you. Thanks for the excellent advice. Anything else to keep in mind, please advise.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Did you check the oil level when the oil was changed? It could have been under filled. Never ever assume it was properly filled when serviced. Check the oil level ASAP after oil/filter change......check the level once a week.....only takes a minute or two.

You can dump a lot of oil in for way less money than a replacement vehicle will cost. If you get a replacement vehicle......check the oil level, frequently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very possible it
Did you check the oil level when the oil was changed? It could have been under filled. Never ever assume it was properly filled when serviced. Check the oil level ASAP after oil/filter change......check the level once a week.....only takes a minute or two.

You can dump a lot of oil in for way less money than a replacement vehicle will cost.
Yes, monitor it from here forward before any decisions are made.

·
Registered
43 Posts

You can dump a lot of oil in for way less money than a replacement vehicle will cost. If you get a replacement vehicle......check the oil level, frequently.
Very possible it

Yes, monitor it from here forward before any decisions are made.
Valid point and appreciate the feedback. I have an oil change scheduled for next week and will check immediately afterwards and keep my eye on it. Another option is to old school and change oil every 3000 miles, I suppose!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Might not need to change every 3K miles, but definitely check the fluid levels once a week. And while the hood is up, take a quick look front to back, fender to fender.(y)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Valid point and appreciate the feedback. I have an oil change scheduled for next week and will check immediately afterwards and keep my eye on it. Another option is to old school and change oil every 3000 miles, I suppose!
No reason to change it sooner, as far as I can see.
I also think that the Dealer didn't put enough oil in it during the last change or it leaked out or got blown out.
BUT, don't go overboard and JUST check the oil level at every gas fill-up for the next 1.000 miles or so.
Don't put the cart before the horse/
Buffalo4
PS: If you hear that rattling noise again,STOP, and check the dipstick for oil level.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts