Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all:
New member here.
I had a 2015 CRV-cvt EX. I averaged 25-26mpg combined, often got 27-28 highway. Cruising at 70-75mph, engine revs were under 2000rpm, maybe 1500rpm (hard to remember). Sadly, I had an accident and vehicle was wrecked; I am OK!

I replaced it with a 2016 CRV-cvt EX. My fuel economy is significantly worse than my beloved 2015. Combined avg is 24mpg. On the highway, cruising at a steady 70mph, the revs are 2000rpm. Also, in general the transmission "hunts" much more than the 2015 did. By that I mean that the revs seem to vary between 1500-3000 when doing normal, sedate around town driving.
I have checked it for the cvt recall, and I brought it in to Honda Service, and insisted that the tech confirm that the cvt software is up to date. They assured me that it is.
Also, these conditions are always with Econ mode selected, and the 2016 crv is identical to my 2015. No roof racks.
I think that it is possible that Honda changed the software mapping on the 2016 in order to bump up the rev range for better ("peppy") performance. However, I am suspicious that the mapping is still not right on my car. Cruising at 70mph, straight and level road, Econ on and Cruise Control on, the engine should not be at 2000rpm. I think that the cvt should be at a very high range in its gearing, thus giving low revs (below 2000rpm) at steady, no pedal pressure highway cruising.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what Honda is doing with the cvt software programming? Does anyone else have this issue? Am I crazy????

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 2016 EX-L with a little over 21,000 miles on it. I live in the mountains and the RPMs are not exactly always exactly even. My RPMs are 1900-2000 at 70 MPH on the interstate since I bought the car with 6,800 miles on it. I set the trip 2 to zero when I got the car and my overall average has been 28.8 over the last 14,000+ miles. I do about 50% of my driving on the open road and very little city driving. On level roads and with summer blend gas, I get around 34-35 MPG and winter blends and cold weather drops it 3 or 3 MPH. Hills and headwinds up the RPMs pretty much. I had the CVT software update done shortly after I got the car and couldn't tell that it made any difference at all.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,623 Posts
With fuel economy, it's ALWAYS "YMMV". :)

That said, perhaps lawrenceofalbany should reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery ground for 30 - 45 minutes, then doing the Idle Learn Procedure. (Make sure you have the security code for your car's radio!) Some folks get increased MPG fropm this, others don't. But, it costs nothing....

·
Registered
1 Posts
so with the 2015 and vibration issue. Part 1 was a engine mount issue, but another part (3) was ECU flash, which they stated "may" decrease the MPGof the CR-V..... my guess is that's what's rolled in with the 2016?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've only driven 210 miles so far, all stop & go in town. (4WD-EX) Averaging only 18 MPG. Will mileage improve ?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
MAP - I have a 2014 AWD EX with a bit over 30,000 miles on it.

I track my fuel mileage through fuelly.com and am averaging 22.5 MPG.
Almost all of my driving is around town, with a longer freeway trip a couple times a month.

Your mileage should increase once you get more miles on your CR-V.

Welcome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts