Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this afternoon I got a "Low battery key fob" warning. First car I can recall giving me that warning. Most of the time it just won't unlock doors or start with you anymore. However, I can't quite figure out how to replace the battery. I took the physical key out of the fob, so now does it just pull apart to get to the battery? Afraid to just pry open for fear of breaking a tab or something. Any advice?

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,026 Posts
Well you are the first why did you not video and share.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
It's in the owners manual

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
Guess I am the one going to do a video exchange on how do I open a fob and show.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
It's an Accord not a crv, Lol but helps the OP out ...

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
Same style of fob and battery replacement.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
different style Video if asked

A minute of your time is what I did here Lol

Reactions: Spectreniner

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gee they exact same procedure as on my 2013 Accord which I have replaced about every 2.5 years....

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
if asking me No simple swap out did my trick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Batteries Plus has a program that costs one time $19.99. That includes two key fabs life time batteries with install. One battery alone from the dealer costs $9.95.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I checked my Owners Manual, and the remotes for my 2014 CR-V EX use a CR1620 battery.
They're about US $5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I checked my Owners Manual, and the remotes for my 2014 CR-V EX use a CR1620 battery.
They're about US $5.
Just changed my 2017 CR-V FOB battery after 2.5 years...took a common CR2032 battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L with Nav Turbo. Real world key fob battery life: 2 years & 2 months. I have used the Fob to remotely start/lock the CRV almost exclusively several times a day so, more conservative use should get even longer battery life.

The CRV will show on the car display when the Key battery gets low with a message you can't miss or misinterpret. I did not have to reprogram the Fob or manually reset the low key battery message after putting in a new Key battery but it did take 2 starts for the message to go away.

(This is not the OEM Honda Key Fob battery but a lithium Energizer CR 2032 3-volts replacement I bought at Walmart. 6 for less than $6 with tax. 10 year shelf life. I replaced the original crazy acting Fob battery for a reason that turned out to be an OEM car battery issue which caused the Key Fob to act up.)

**Simple to open Fob & replace battery but my big issue was getting the two halves to snap back together properly; one side always seemed not to snap down fully. Just had to work at it. Couple of good how-to videos on the internet about how to do this & one for what to do if the buttons, etc fall out. Work on a flat surface such as a table to prevent all of the buttons from falling out. (I still have not found instructions in the owner's manual for how to replace the Key battery.)

--Remove metal key from Fob & use the metal key to pry the two parts of the Fob apart.
--Coin battery is held down by 4 plastic tabs. Use a small screwdriver to gently pry out the battery. (I was using a larger screwdriver from my key chain but saw it lifting the whole face with the buttons up & went for smaller screwdriver to slip under battery.)
--Put new battery under 2 tabs & press down to lock it in place under all 4 tabs. Don't forget to peel sticky plastic protector off the new battery.
--Put battery half on flat surface. Align the 2 halves of the Fob together & press down to snap in place. Check entire Fob perimeter to be sure there are no gaps.
--Put the metal key back in.
--TEST the key fob functions!! Don't wait until you need it to find it does not work.

·
Super Moderator
5,026 Posts
What i do is I leave a spare battery in the car. if they smell like vinegar . then you can get some salad, no toss to the trash correctly recycle the bat. if they made these rechargable and usb typed imagine the fun that be?

·
Registered
2019 CRV EXL
120 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L with Nav Turbo. Real world key fob battery life: 2 years & 2 months. I have used the Fob to remotely start/lock the CRV almost exclusively several times a day so, more conservative use should get even longer battery life.
I have only owned my CR-V for a few months but I also have a 2014 Accord. I have used the Accord for food delivery for almost the entire 3 years I have owned it. I lock and unlock the doors probably 30-50 times a day and have yet to replace the battery in the fob.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Just replaced the key fob batteries on my 2018 Touring last week. 56,000 miles and 2 yrs and 7 months of service.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Batteries Plus has a program that costs one time $19.99. That includes two key fabs life time batteries with install. One battery alone from the dealer costs $9.95.
I buy the batteries in bulk on Amazon... for a range of different devices I need them for. It is a very common battery size, and I pay ~$0.50 per unit buying them in blocks of 20 or 40... and these are top tier name brand Sony batteries and they have always had long shelf life remaining when purchased and have long service life in the family fitness trackers.. which is my standard for battery life metric in our home.

Note: My 2017 is over 3 years old now and still on it's original batteries in the fobs. Then again.. I NEVER use the fob to lock/unlock, or remote start, or any other feature that uses the high power transmitting mode of the fob.. so mine is in low power passive mode all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts