Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2020 CR-V and looking for thoughts and opinions on routine service.

This vehicle will get between 2-3k mikes per year. I do not believe the MM will be a benefit to me since it could be years before any messages pop up.

My thought is to do fluid changes at certain month intervals versus waiting for the MM to throw a code. Normally Honda wants engine oil changed at least once a year.

I have heard from a number of mechanics that Honda vehicles like fresh oil.

·
Registered
2017 CRV EX AWD
814 Posts
Im the same as you with a little more miles. I do my oil changes at the beginning of winter and summer (And rotations) cabin filter and engine filter on one yr of pickup date

and use mm as ref point for the rest of service

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
So time to pull out your Owners Manual and see if there's a Maintenance Service Items section (there is!).
There's a table that shows what needs to be done for the A and B codes, and another table with all of the numeric sub-codes.

In my 2014 Honda CR-V Owners Manual there are several notes below the tables. (I think the "message SERVICE" in #1 means if you don't see the wrench icon telling you a service is due):

*1: If a message SERVICE does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
*2: If you drive in dusty conditions, replace the air cleaner element every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
*3: If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace the dust and pollen filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
*4: If you tow your vehicle behind a motorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

There's also a gray box in the upper right corner of the page:

• Independent of the Maintenance Minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years.
• Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
• Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.
The only thing I'd add is I'm one of those weirdos that thinks when you change the oil you also change the oil filter, but that's just my preference.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The Maintenance Minder "A" code lists only: Replace engine oil.

The Maintenance Minder "B" code list includes:

● Replace engine oil and oil filter
● Inspect front and rear brakes
● Check parking brake adjustment
● Inspect tie rod ends, steering gearbox, and boots
● Inspect suspension components
● Inspect driveshaft boots
● Inspect brake hoses and lines (Including ABS/VSA)
● Inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids
● Inspect exhaust system#
● Inspect fuel lines and connections
So the answer to your question is: "Honda"
;)

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I drive 3-4K miles per year. My MM still pops the appropriate A or B service alert when the vehicle is near the one year mark (which is Honda's specified oil change if miles have not been met). Consistently.

Popped 2 weeks shy of one year from the date I purchased my CRV... then just over 11 months after that. It currently shows 50% remaining oil life this time around, and I am just about 6 months from the calendar year roll over from my last oil change. Conclusion: The MM calculates a range of driving conditions, temperature variables, hours driven, AND calendar time.... and makes a monthly tick down on the MM if calendar time is the only variable exceeded.

In other words.. the MM on the gen5 CRV is smart enough to account for calendar time as well as a host of other calculations to determine end of oil life.

I also believe the MM is keeping time track of some other scheduled maintenance... like brake fluid change for example (which is every 3 years) and sure enough.. that code (7) is already showing on my MM (which is normal for the MM on gen5s.. it pre-selects next expected periodic maintenance beyond just oil changes and pre-loads it into the MM display, which normally you would not see until the MM pops for an oil change, or you check the MM manually). My CRV is rightly predicting that I will need an A7 service in about 6 months (my 3 year anniversary of owning my CRV).

A refreshing change for me.. since I literally had to manually keep track of the calander for my gen3 CRV for oil changes and other maintenance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did find the chart in the manual that had the CR-C codes. When I got my Ridgeline, I found the service schedule that listed codes, mileages and months. Since I put very few miles on the Ridgeline, I opted to follow the month schedule. Perhaps my fluid changes were early at times, but in my opinion I rather keep somewhat fresh fluids in my vehicles versus taking the fluids to the backend of their life. My thought is the CR-V should follow this path.

I know many will disagree, but to me the only real negative is to my wallet. Not too many vehicles seem to die from premature fluid changes.

Question though, for a Ridgeline transmission fluid change Honda says a drain and fill only. No flush. It is funny, the Honda dealership wanted me to do a flush. What is required for the 2020 transmission fluid change?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did find the chart in the manual that had the CR-V codes. When I got my Ridgeline, I found the service schedule that listed codes, mileages and months. Since I put very few miles on the Ridgeline, I opted to follow the month schedule. Perhaps my fluid changes were early at times, but in my opinion I rather keep somewhat fresh fluids in my vehicles versus taking the fluids to the backend of their life. My thought is the CR-V should follow this path.

I know many will disagree, but to me the only real negative is to my wallet. Not too many vehicles seem to die from premature fluid changes.

Question though, for a Ridgeline transmission fluid change Honda says a drain and fill only. No flush. It is funny, the Honda dealership wanted me to do a flush. What is required for the 2020 transmission fluid change?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just purchased a 2020 CR-V and looking for thoughts and opinions on routine service.

This vehicle will get between 2-3k mikes per year. I do not believe the MM will be a benefit to me since it could be years before any messages pop up.

My thought is to do fluid changes at certain month intervals versus waiting for the MM to throw a code. Normally Honda wants engine oil changed at least once a year.

We too just purchased a 2020 CRV. Despite our anticipated low mileage, perhaps about 5k per year I will be changing the oil and filter twice per year. There are other factors involved with regards to oil life besides oil viscosity such as contaminants in the oil that demand more frequent oil changes. Along with low mileage there will of course be short trips with the engine not being fully warmed up. That can be tough on the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We too just purchased a 2020 CRV. Despite our anticipated low mileage, perhaps about 5k per year I will be changing the oil and filter twice per year. There are other factors involved with regards to oil life besides oil viscosity such as contaminants in the oil that demand more frequent oil changes. Along with low mileage there will of course be short trips with the engine not being fully warmed up. That can be tough on the engine.
I would respectfully suggest you will be wasting a lot of money doing this, changing oil/filter at 2500 miles and 6 months.... I've never heard of such an interval in a passenger vehicle. I'd even say that to the (other) very low miles/year drivers (2 to 3k mi) That you incur zero additional risk in going over the '1 year' mark with that oil. Has anyone posted what happens to oil after 1 year- does it become water, or sludge ? Of course it doesnt when sitting in a sealed engine, such as it is. Nor will oil stored in its original container. This is assuming a vehicle in good condition, not one that consumes oil or has other major mechanical issues. I've done 100% of my own Honda fluids since the mid 1980s and over a million road miles; cars, motorcycles, power equipment (currently 4 Hondas in the household) and never an engine related issue nor failure. I go by the MM in my daily (2013 Civic) commuter to within about 5% of recommended mileage- then change the oil/filter- primarily because at that point an alert message pops up every time I start it and I get sick of seeing it ! :) . BTW for modern Honda transmissions be it MT or an AT, I use only Honda fluids, never any others.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
I don't have any Hondas with CVT transmissions which I believe require more frequent fluid changes than the conventional automatics. If you have a CVT, use ONLY the genuine Honda fluid. For conventional automatics, there are some aftermarket ones that are acceptable. As for engine oil & filter replacements, you should replace the filter each time you do the oil change, not only because there is "old oil" in the filter, but the cost of an oil filter is no more than the cost of a quart of quality synthetic oil so it makes sense to replace the oil filter at the same time. I don't replace the engine oil unless the MM light comes on (or if it has been a year since the last oil change). As for other maintenance (coolant, brake fluid, etc.) I go by the condition of the fluid. Our environment here is very humid so I usually end up replacing the brake fluid every 2 years rather than 3. I use both test strips and brake fluid moisture testers to determine when to flush it. I tend to replace the engine coolant every 3 or 4 years, depending on what my coolant test strips indicate; I also use long-life silicate-free coolant which is best for these engines.

·
Registered
131 Posts

No problem. Plan on changing the oil and filter once a year. That's what my wife and I both do. I had the timing belt changed on my Pilot in January 2019 as the service writer at my Honda dealer told me it should be changed every 100,000 miles or seven years. Your dealer's service department should be able to advise you on necessary maintenance as based on time rather than miles driven. That's been the situation with me and my Pilot. Enjoy the new vehicle!

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I would respectfully suggest you will be wasting a lot of money doing this, changing oil/filter at 2500 miles and 6 months.... I've never heard of such an interval in a passenger vehicle. I'd even say that to the (other) very low miles/year drivers (2 to 3k mi) That you incur zero additional risk in going over the '1 year' mark with that oil. Has anyone posted what happens to oil after 1 year- does it become water, or sludge ? Of course it doesnt when sitting in a sealed engine, such as it is. Nor will oil stored in its original container.
The reality is oil slowly degrades over time, regardless of how many miles you drive.

Honda stipulates changing the oil at one year, which is why it is now part of the MM calculations. They make a deliberate point about it for their new small turbo engines in fact.. both the 1.5 and the 2.0. Not doing so.. could cause issues if you have to file a warranty claim... so best to just do it and avoid any possible controversy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
At 2-3K per year, why did you buy a new car? Can I be your cousin? Needy inlaw? ;) Seriously .....
Well, the wife refuses to drive the Ridgeline. She says it is too big or is that I am over protective of the truck and she does not want to hear from me about nicks or scratches. Come on, it is still showroom new.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
399 Posts
Well this is bound to be an on going debate. I hear some folks say the oil is done after 1 year. I'd love to see some lab tests to back that up.
Pretty sure the newer model computers try to inform other factors than just miles, so I would feel safe with the mm system. For peace of mind do some research, avoid forums as there is too much erroneous and anecdotal information. Be nice to see notes from the automotive engineers, but that may not be possible. Maybe send a snail mail to Honda.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts