Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting quite low MPG with my 2003 CRV AWD... around 15 to 16MPG for city driving. I am not an aggressive driver (braking and braking suddenly).

I was suggested that adding some fuel injection cleaner may help clean up the build up. Anyone has any recommendations as to what brand works well, how much of the cleaner to put and how much gas should be in the tank for this to be optimally effective. And is it even worth my time and money to do this.

I am very new to cars in general, so please use layman terms.

Thanks,
-Danny

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Danny - What kind of gas are you using?
I've always used Chevron with Techroline(sp?), correction, Techron,[thanks Buff] in our Honda's and never had to use any additive to clean the injectors.
I have used STP Fuel Injector cleaner in other cars with some success. There's a product out called Sea Foam that is said to work well too.
Whatever you choose to use, just follow the directions on the can and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Sometimes it pays to just give the car an 'Italian tune-up' as that will clean it out good too.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,718 Posts
20CRVEX13 meant to say Chevron Techron. This is the BEST fuel cleaner, it is patented and licensed by other oil companies.

Always use it as directed...

An occasional run to the engine's red-line helps too. (That makes the injectors stay open longer and helps keep them clean.)

+++++++++++

But, you are not mentioning mileage on the car. At 100K miles, it's time to consider replacing the oxygen (O2) sensor. Always use the proper Denso "wide-band" replacement part.

If that fails to help, then it may be necessary to replace the catalytic converter. But this is an expensive fix. If the V runs well otherwise it's best to buck up and accept the lower gas mileage.

PS: Have you done all the recommended maintenance? Many times, folks forget that they have a TIME as well as MILEAGE replacement criteria. So, replace spark plugs, adjust the valves, and check the engine air filter.

++++++++++++

One last thought: city driving WILL cut your gas mileage significantly. I'd see if that is the case by filling up the tank, driving at least 100 - 200 miles on the highway ALL AT ONCE, then re-filling. Then calculate the MPG.

Our Manual Trans V gets 25 MPG in Suburban driving, 23 MPG on the highway.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thanks for the correction Buff.
Just having an old brain fart at the time I posted that I guess.
Techron is the way to go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
20CRVEX13 - I'm using regular gas from Ralphs.

I looked up Sea Foam on Amazon... looks like a lot of people are swearing by it. I shall give this a try.

Can you define an "Italian tune-up?"

Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thisaznboi88...

I bought this vehicle only 2 months ago. The previous owner only drove it for 54k miles. He religiously recorded any changes throughout the ownership of the vehicle.

Here are the last changes he did:

Oil and Filter change: May 9, 2015 @ 52,900 miles
Cabin Air Filter change: June 19, 2015
Brake Fluid, Auto Trans Fluid, Diff Fluid change: Nov 9, 2013 @ 46,461 miles

No mention of Spark plug change. If he did, it would be on record.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,718 Posts
Another term for Italian Tune Up could be,

"Drive It like you Stole It" LOL

It's basically just running it to redline (or alternately, holding the trans in second gear, and revving it over 5000 RPM for 15 - 30 seconds while driving). Best results are with a fully warmed up engine (5 - 10 miles of driving).

In light of the updated information, I think you should try a long distance drive before spending a lot of money.

Try filling up the tank, driving at least 100 - 200 miles on the highway ALL AT ONCE, then re-filling. Then calculate the MPG.
Let us know the results.

++++++++++++

EDIT: Is "Ralph's" an unbranded gasoline station? Might be a good idea to use a Top Tier brand at least every fourth fill-up. TT gas contains more detergents.

http://www.toptiergas.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha! I'm too much of a chicken to do that! I'm a new driver. I haven't driven over 70mph yet! My insurance is already sky high, any little accident and I'm screwed! I don't mind spending some money on some products to clear it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if this info will help.. but here is a video of how my dash looks when I start the car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts