Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2016 AWD CRV with about 60k miles that cannot make it past 3000 miles before my oil light comes on at hard stops or my car starts making horrible grinding noises. This has been happening for about a year or so. I first thought that they weren’t putting enough oil in my car when I get oil changes but I don’t think that is the case. Nobody has ever mentioned that there’s oil leaking on other parts of the car nor are there drips on my driveway or garage. Where is my oil going??? I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
3,082 Posts
Out the exhaust maybe?
Do you ever check it between the oil change and the time the light comes on and makes horrible grinding sounds?
First check your oil level frequently. Do not allow the oil light to come on. When the oil light turns on it means you have no oil pressure due to the oil level being so low that the oil pump is sucking air and your engine is not getting lubrication. If you are not leaking oil than you are burning it in the combustion chamber. Possible causes could be worn or stuck piston rings or possibly worn oil seals on the valves. In any case you should have a professional check it out and never allow the oil light to come on again.

·
Super Moderator
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,283 Posts
Listen to Traylaw on this. You definitely should check your oil at least monthly. It sounds like your burning oil which isn’t an easy fix. Your best option is to go to the dealership and have them run a compression or leak down test. If all else fails just top it off so you don’t destroy your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: kendow42

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hello I have a 2016 AWD CRV with about 60k miles that cannot make it past 3000 miles before my oil light comes on at hard stops or my car starts making horrible grinding noises. This has been happening for about a year or so. I first thought that they weren’t putting enough oil in my car when I get oil changes but I don’t think that is the case. Nobody has ever mentioned that there’s oil leaking on other parts of the car nor are there drips on my driveway or garage. Where is my oil going??? I’m at a loss.
Oh my god. You let it run low enough on oil that the oil light came on and it was making horrible grinding noises? Not only that, it sounds like you have done it multiple times! Those noises are the sound of all the engine bearing surfaces chewing themselves up. I feel almost like this is clickbait. The simple and obvious first step is check the oil and add more on a regular basis.

this is why when buying any used vehicle it should be mechanically inspected, and they should remove the valve cover for signs of damage to the cam lobes.

Once you have run the car low on oil like this, not only have you drastically reduced the lifespan of the bearings, you may have scored the cylinders, which will lead to more oil consumption.

I would not feel right selling this to someone and pawning off these issues without telling them, but I guess I’m just and ethical sucker.

this sounds like the start of one of these car complaints: hey Honda, my engine failed after only 100k miles WTF?

I would not feel as bad trading it in at a dealership without mentioning it and letting them deal with it. You may get $19k trade in. $35k + taxes and fees—say $40k - $19k = $21k to get a new car with warranty. It may cost you $6k+ for a new engine relatively soon….

Take better care of your new car.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,464 Posts
A couple of questions that I believe need to be answered here.

First question: how did you purchase this vehicle? Buy it brand new? Buy it used from a dealership? Buy it used from a private sale?

If purchased new, go back to the dealership to see what, if any, recourse you have. Chances are you've exceeded time/mileage limits on the original warranty. You might also want to check to see if there are/were any TSB's for that particular model.

Second question: who does your oil change? Unfortunately, while there are many reputable places that perform oil changes, we also know that there are many places to avoid. Because many of the latter places advertise low rates for their services, folks believe that this method saves money. That practice is known as being penny wise and pound foolish. As the old Fram oil filter commercials said, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

Unfortunately, this episode may contain very expensive lessons to be learned. First of all, weekly inspections can help you avoid major problems. Secondly, whenever buying a used vehicle, always ask to see the maintenance records for that vehicle. If there are none, ask to take the vehicle to an independent garage to do an inspection & evaluation. If the seller refuses, look somewhere else.

Good luck. Keep us informed as you progress with this problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Check the oil on a regular basis - just pop the hood open & pull out the oil dip stick to see if it is between the low & full marks. I would have the oil pressure tested by a shop/dealership to see if it's within specifications. Replace your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve). It's not expensive & it usually goes unnoticed. Horrible grinding noises does not sound good. Is it due to lack of oil or worn brake pads? Insufficient oil or oil pressure will damage your engine parts that need lubrication.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts