Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Tony, you are the exception.

Next time you ride down the highway, look at the tires of the cars in front of you. I routinely see tires low on air from the back, but when next to the car, you cannot tell from just looking at the sidewall.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tony, you are the exception.

Next time you ride down the highway, look at the tires of the cars in front of you. I routinely see tires low on air from the back, but when next to the car, you cannot tell from just looking at the sidewall.
You are correct MANY cars are low on pressure. I don't understand this. When My children were kids we played a game. Look for the Low tires. If my kids at 9 and 7 years old can learn to spot a low tire, Why can't "responsible " drivers mind their own cars?
My kids have grown into responsible drivers. not only defensive drivers BUT very observant to odd noises the car is making or how it feels on the road. You can't count on an Anual inspection to tell you your car needs attention... It's your possession, get involved . That's my thought.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
You are correct MANY cars are low on pressure. I don't understand this. When My children were kids we played a game. Look for the Low tires. If my kids at 9 and 7 years old can learn to spot a low tire, Why can't "responsible " drivers mind their own cars?
Many times i have seen drivers doing close to 60 mph on a flat tire. One in a Dodge Caravan swerved across 3 lanes to pull on to the left shoulder to stop. I am still not quite sure why when he was in the right lane to begin with and had a 20 ft wide shoulder to pull onto.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I absolutely look at my vehicle as I approach it to notice any number of possible issues.
But do you actually walk a full 360 around your car and bend down to check the tire sprofile form behind? You do this every single time you get into the car no matter if you're in a hurry, in a busy parking lot, ect.

Keep in mind that punctures occur while your moving, so only inspecting your car every time you get in, will only catch slow leaks, not moderate leaks. Also, low tire pressure is only visible once you're alreayd too low, well into the low 20's. At that pressure you're already going to compromise handling and risk overheating the tire... not to mention if it's a front tire, you will put a lot of wear on the differential. If it's a rear tire, it could trigger the RT4WD.

TPMS will catch it much earlier, in many cases, long before it's visible.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I absolutely look at my vehicle as I approach it to notice any number of possible issues.
But do you actually walk a full 360 around your car and bend down to check the tire sprofile form behind? You do this every single time you get into the car no matter if you're in a hurry, in a busy parking lot, ect.

Keep in mind that punctures occur while your moving, so only inspecting your car every time you get in, will only catch slow leaks, not moderate leaks. Also, low tire pressure is only visible once you're alreayd too low, well into the low 20's. At that pressure you're already going to compromise handling and risk overheating the tire... not to mention if it's a front tire, you will put a lot of wear on the differential. If it's a rear tire, it could trigger the RT4WD.

TPMS will catch it much earlier, in many cases, long before it's visible.
I walk into my garage I see the passenger side of the car, I walk to the drivers side to get in. The casual look seems to have worked for me for almost 1 million miles of driving. If the car gets sloppy on the road as far as handling then yeah, Just like my father and my fathers father... you pull over.
It just seeems that the expense is WAY overkill just to let people know their pressure is down a bit. You can see 5 lbs pressure difference. You can feel ithe handling fade at 10 lbs difference. On weekends when I wash the cars. I have the compressor on all the time, I run around the car with the gauge if one looks low. I pop the hood, take a quick glance at Brake Fluid and anti freeze. I shouldn't be the exception. this is what a responsible driver should be doing. It is all these safety gadgets that have made us lazy, dumb and too reliant to do what used to be considered normal behavior back in the 60's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The TPMS system on my 2007 CRV is showing the "TPMS" in glowing yellow on my dash again............what a piece of **** system. It has been nothing but a pain in the ass since I bought the vehicle new in November 2006. Of course, all of the tires are properly inflated, yet the "TPMS" symbol remains on. I refuse to pay a Honda dealer to "reset" the system since the vehicle is out of basic warranty (3 year/36 month). It looks like a black construction paper cover up is in order.

I've owned a BMW motorcycle with TPMS and have friends with GM's TPMS...both give each tire's pressure and with no problems...WTF with Honda.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The TPMS system on my 2007 CRV is showing the "TPMS" in glowing yellow on my dash again............what a piece of **** system. It has been nothing but a pain in the ass since I bought the vehicle new in November 2006. Of course, all of the tires are properly inflated, yet the "TPMS" symbol remains on. I refuse to pay a Honda dealer to "reset" the system since the vehicle is out of basic warranty (3 year/36 month). It looks like a black construction paper cover up is in order.

I've owned a BMW motorcycle with TPMS and have friends with GM's TPMS...both give each tire's pressure and with no problems...WTF with Honda.
If it's an '07, you've probably changed tires at least once. It might be as simple as a battery going bad, or moisture causing corrosion in one of the sensors. You might just need a sensor replaced. its' often recommended taht hte sensors be replaced every 3-4 years when the tires are changed.

The sensors that tell the actual pressure on BMW's and GM products are more expensive. I suspect these vehciels weren't mid-level semi-economy vehciles. They were probably more upscale luxury vehciels. BMW motorcycle defintiely are. Pretty pricey to maintain... and I've had LOT mroe warrantie and recalls on my BMW compared ot my Honda. TPMS is not one of them on either.

4 vehciles since '07 and never a problem with a single tire sensor. Sorry abotu your bad luck. Maybe the palce that changed your tires damaged them or had a lot of water in their compressed air system they used ot inflate your tires.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Last year I was working at a tire shop and I spent a lot of time playing with TPMS. The sensors are aluminum, but they do corrode. Things that increase this corrosion would be parking the car a long time (which allows moisture inside the wheel), using Fix A Flat, and driving on salty roads. Good tire shops remove the sensor before they swap the tire. If your TPMS light comes on after you've received new tires, the shop might have damaged the sensor because they didn't remove it. Harsh impacts can also damage the sensor. And as the bulletin at the beginning of this thread states, check your own tire pressures! I must have serviced half a dozen cars a day during the fall when tire pressures would fluctuate wildly with the weather.

If you really want to save yourself some cash, learning how to fix your own tire is really helpful. I wrote an article on how to do it on another site, if it's ok I can post the link here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As of 2008, the TPMS systems have been a federal requirement. The system is good but has it's flaws. Each of the sensors have a lithium battery hermetically sealed inside of them which means that the batteries are not replaceable, the entire sensor must be replaced. IMHO, this is the fatal drawback of the system. The batteries have a life expectancy of about 5-6 years (if you are lucky). As the batteries one at a time begin to fail, the TPMS light will come on each time one of them fails. At a price of $100 to $150 a piece to replace them, this amounts to a $400 to $600 expense every 5 years or so. This is the equivalent of a new set of tires folks! I check my tires at least once a month (or whenever there is a dramatic temperature change) and have been doing so for the last 40 years that I have been driving. I refuse to spend what amounts to the equivalent of a new set of tires every 5 years just to maintain this system. I plan to put a piece of electrical tape over the TPMS light the first time I have to replace a sensor and continue to check my tire pressure regularly like I have always done.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The Honda MSRP for a replacement sensor is $28.73 each. Online vendors (I just checked Bernardi) have them at $21.03 each.

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOW, the prices have come WAY down on these in the last couple of years! There is still going to be a labor charge to replace them and reprogram the system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
tpms is a waste of money and time and effort people depend to much on gagets use a tire guage and do it the old fastioned way. had my light come on so i covered it up lol. I dont care for tpms i just hate the damm light staying on and u cant turn it off by removing a fuse i think all cars this should be a option. I dont want it and i should not have to pay for it I am one of the people that build these cars lol everyday and i dont need tpms and simular gagets lol.. I am a firm beliver that people should know things about there cars such as tire pressure and how to check all fluids and do light maintence, In fact i think you should not be allowed to drive unless u can do this and be able to change a tire too. hey i feel better that if i get into a jam where no cell phone will work or no people are to change a tire or do some light maintence dont get me wrong i am no mechanic but i get by ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
like a lot of idiot federal requirements, this is one I can do without. I also think the airbags and the anti-lock brakes are another dangerous POS federal requirment that I can do without. They used to teach you how to modulate the brakes to prevent lock up, and to hold firmly onto the steering wheel for better control in case of sudden bump.

now they teach the kids in drivers ed to mash on the brakes hard and to hold the steering wheel on the edges so the airbag does not break your arms. An explosive device going off in your face is not way to improve safety, there has been lots of propaganda about the so-called "safety" of airbags but I am not buying it. Also, have you noticed all the warnings in your car about the presence of a so-called safety device? Every year all manufacturers (including Honda) recall cars with faulty airbags, deploying when they are not supposed to and causing injury and death. why are these not counted against the so-called improved safety? Propaganda.

No race cars uses airbags nor anti-lock brakes, yet fatalities are so rare in race cars it makes news when a driver gets killed, depite the high speeds. A better restraint system would do far more to save lives, and teaching proper driving skills.

The tire pressure sensors are just another stupid, costly, unnecessary federally mandated "improvement" that is not useful.

Rant over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2014 CRV This vehicle no longer uses the individual tire pressure/temp sending units in the tires. It uses the anti-lock brake sensors to determine the speed of each wheel and feeds it the ECM which evaluates if a wheel is spinning faster (Loss of pressure) and turns on the dash indicator light. My light comes on every time I drive the car (Very annoying). I follow the reset procedure each time and the light continues to come on.
Well, to solve the problem, take it to your Honda dealer. Dealer said there is no fix! The system is just too sensitive and any temperature change will cause the system to activate. They told me that their own personal dealer vehicles had the same problem and was somewhat resolved by inflating the tires to 40#. They did this to my vehicle, which says 30# on the door sticker and now rides like a rock. Have only driven home from dealer and no further so I don't know if their "FIX" works.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
2014 CRV This vehicle no longer uses the individual tire pressure/temp sending units in the tires. It uses the anti-lock brake sensors to determine the speed of each wheel and feeds it the ECM which evaluates if a wheel is spinning faster (Loss of pressure) and turns on the dash indicator light. My light comes on every time I drive the car (Very annoying). I follow the reset procedure each time and the light continues to come on.
Well, to solve the problem, take it to your Honda dealer. Dealer said there is no fix! The system is just too sensitive and any temperature change will cause the system to activate. They told me that their own personal dealer vehicles had the same problem and was somewhat resolved by inflating the tires to 40#. They did this to my vehicle, which says 30# on the door sticker and now rides like a rock. Have only driven home from dealer and no further so I don't know if their "FIX" works.
Airing the tires to 40 psi doesn't fix the issue, put the pressure where it is supposed to be, Honda is working on it. Your dealer is a dope.
Hopefully they work it out soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My TPMS light is a pain in the butt. Came on, checked the pressure, reset the light and about a week or so, it came on again. Took my 2014 to the dealer and was told this is a problem Honda knows about. They said the made a fix to some software and took the car on a 18 minute drive at 30-60 mph without stopping to reset system. Two days late the TPMS light comes back on and the dealer tells me to do the test again to reset the system. I did it two days ago and the light is still out. If what the dealer is telling me is true, why doesn't Honda notify their customers of the problem and the fix. If the light comes on again, I will go back to the dealer and also write to our local TV troubleshooter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My 09 CRV EX-L had the same issue with the TPMS light came on. I went to the dealer for at least 10 times, the tech and service advisor at this dealer has been helpful. I went thru 6 new TPMS sensors and even the TPMS control unit.........the problem still exists. I had the new tires put in last November, i really don't know what can be done...any input will be appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sticking my issue here as a new member for others to learn from & I will try & update it. I would also appreciate any feedback if this is something someone else is dealing with.
2014 AWD CRV EXL. Has almost 25,000 miles. My husband changed the oil several weeks ago, & I really think this is unrelated to the problem, but that is all that has been done lately. The following lights came on after sitting over the weekend and have NOT gone off, despite many trips to work over this last week: ABS EPS VSA AWD (does not blink-remains on) TPMS
Regarding checking of tire pressure & normal fluids, this is done. This is not the issue.
I do live in the country & drive several miles of dirt road a day. We ranch & I have cats in the yard & a pet coon that it is possible could have chewed something off under the car, but checking underneath, there is nothing visible. Mice could be messing with it, but I doubt it right now. It's dirty as hell a lot, but there hasn't been any compact snow & ice I've driven over. I doubt mud compaction is an issue either.
I am taking it to the dealer to get checked Monday. Over the phone the woman is telling me it could be bcs my husband changed the oil. But honestly, I really doubt that bcs as I stated above, it was done several weeks ago. This problem showed up much later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 07 CRV.. When the tire lite come on, especially if the temperature has changed, I just drive it for awhile to let the tires warm up so the air in them can redistribute. If you lose a fraction of air in your tires that stupid lite will come on. The TPMS light- in my opinion is a pain also. Have you ever seen one of those? Who wants to pay up to $81 for a small piece of plastic that has a watch battery in it and a couple of prongs on the outside? That price is just for one. I would rather check my tires the old fashioned way - with a tire gauge and my eyes. I just cover up the stupid TPMS lite on my dashboard.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts