Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sensor for low tire pressure is on our '15 CR-V. I checked the tires and three of the four are at 33psi and one was 32.5psi. does the spare have TPMS?

Why would it be on?

Could the sensors be bad or something?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I found a video on YouTube to calibrate the sensors so I tried resetting.we shall see if it stays that way.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,164 Posts
The spare has no TPMS sensor. Actually none of the tires have a TPMS sensor in them. The TPMS uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to indirectly determine the inflation state of the tires via the rolling radius of the tire and a few other tricks. Indirect TPMS can false trigger if a wheel slips on snow, gravel, ect or tire wear and when you rotate tires. So you should recalibrate the system when you add air or rotate / replace your tires.

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's kind of weird. Just the other day i had check the tire pressure on my '15. Three out of four tires were 32 pounds but the rear passenger was at 29 pounds and that didn't trip a low pressure light Something in the past that i have noticed is that my light comes on when i have picked up a screw or nail in a tire, it goes off when i have the nail or whatever removed and the hole patched.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
That's kind of weird. Just the other day i had check the tire pressure on my '15. Three out of four tires were 32 pounds but the rear passenger was at 29 pounds and that didn't trip a low pressure light Something in the past that i have noticed is that my light comes on when i have picked up a screw or nail in a tire, it goes off when i have the nail or whatever removed and the hole patched.

Setting asside a false positive due to some slippery tracking event.....the passive system in the newer generation CRVs do not trip the alert light until a tire is about 10 lbs low, and after the wheels have been moving for some time (makes sense since it is looking for differences in rotation speeds).

In fact.. I have had this happen twice now on my CRV, and once on my wifes 2018 Accord. Each time, it was a nail in the tire, and each time the TPMS did not alert until the injured tire was about 10 lbs lower then the other 3. So, in that regard, it appears to be pretty consistent.

My most recent nail event was actually last week.. and if you are alert, you can actually feel something wrong with the traction on your CRV before the TPMS light goes off. Traction felt just a little off, and when I checked my traction display on the instrument panel.. I could see one wheel not providing as much traction as the other three. So I made a mental note to check the tires when I got home. About 10 minutes later... the TPMS alert went off.. so I pulled over and checked tire pressures. Sure enough.... 34, 34, 34, 22.5. So when I got home, I inspected and could see a nail dead center in the treads for the low tire. Re-inflated, parked with the nail under the tire body to limit air loss, and waited until Monday (it was Saturday morning) to take it in and have the nail hole repaired.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I checked my traction display on the instrument panel.. I could see one wheel not providing as much traction as the other three.
You got me curious, so I checked the owners manual but did not find the "traction display" listed. Can you elaborate how you access and is this for a Gen 4?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wife did not tell me if the light came on so it might have been something random. It goes to shop for oil change, tire rotation and transmission flush on Thursday night

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,882 Posts
You got me curious, so I checked the owners manual but did not find the "traction display" listed. Can you elaborate how you access and is this for a Gen 4?
Mine is a gen5, and I think that display is new with the gen5s, and may only be on AWD versions (not sure on that). It's really nice to observe as you get a good feel for how the dynamics of the traction in AWD works. It is selected via the display selection button on the left hand side of the steering wheel.

When selected, the display looks like this:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did I post this in the wrong generation subforum?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok I got the button! all seems and has seemed ok since then. Kinda weird for the light to come on while driving interstate. No issues since.

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
448 Posts
I was not aware that they went back to indirect system, I know any new car made after September 1 of 2007 sold in USA it was mandatory for a direct system,I have had newer vehicles in the shop with Mexico plates and they had no TPMS,I see they have a lot more inputs going on than the old system such as ambient temperature, because every 10 degrees F is about 1 PSI,so they must have proved to the DOT that it is reliable, here's some info from Honda I found,note the special calibration if someone pushed the TPMS button and made no changes

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The light came on again while driving in PA this weekend it might be because of coldness. It was chilly that morning. I checked the tires and nothing looked out of sorts. I reset the TPMS system.and did not have a problem for 4 more states

1 - 14 of 14 Posts