Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have been driving my new CRV 2019 for a few months now and last week for the first time I saw a "Low Tire Pressure" warning but it didn't tell me which tire. I had to manually check all 4 tires and fill it up to recommending level. My old 8 years old Chevy car used to tell me tire pressure of each tire and it was very useful and now i am surprised that Honda vehicle doesn't give this info. or is there a different way to access this info and maybe i am not checking it correctly?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Unfortunately it can't tell you which tire, nor the tire pressure reading in psi. The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) uses an indirect method to indicate a low tire by comparing the rotational speed between the 4 tires. A tire with low pressure will have a smaller radius from center to ground and therefore rotates faster than the other 3, which brings up the alarm. A crude system but no pressure transmitters required.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Honda changed to the above system from all the people who would complain and come jn when temps dropped on the old system and would get errors everyday.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Honda changed to the above system from all the people who would complain and come jn when temps dropped on the old system and would get errors everyday.
At least the old system alerted you when all the tires are underinflated due to winter temp. Tire pressure drops 1 psi for every 10 F temp drop. If your tires were pressurized for 70 F and it's now 20 F the tires are 5 psi low. The TMPS won't warn you about that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

There is a 3 PSI differential between the front tires and the back tires - please make sure your '19 is adjusted correctly, then go into the 'Settings' section and recalibrate the TPMS.

Happy you are here!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Hi, i have been driving my new CRV 2019 for a few months now and last week for the first time I saw a "Low Tire Pressure" warning but it didn't tell me which tire. I had to manually check all 4 tires and fill it up to recommending level. My old 8 years old Chevy car used to tell me tire pressure of each tire and it was very useful and now i am surprised that Honda vehicle doesn't give this info. or is there a different way to access this info and maybe i am not checking it correctly?
As noted above by marty1, newer generation Hondas have all moved to a passive TPMS.. where there is no active sensor in the tire anymore, and the vehicle uses tire rotation speed to determine when a tire is low on pressure.

The benefits of this approach is no more maintenance required on active TPMS inside the tires, and no destruction of the active TPMS sensor if you were to apply a flat inflator/patch kit on the road.

The downside is you may occasionally get a false positive from the Honda. But in reality, it takes only a minute to check the pressure manually on the tires to see if you have an issue or not, and then hit recalibrate on the head unit vehicle settings menu.

I have had one false positive in the almost 3 years of ownership, (during first month of ownership) and it likely was because when I did reset the tire pressure when I got home with my new CRV (they ship them with 45lbs in the tires, to limit slip and movement in shipment) but did not perform a recalibration at this time. Two other times I have had the TPMS go off.. and in each case.. sure enough.. I had a nail in the tire. In my experience.. it does not go off until the tire is about 10lbs low in pressure.

IF... IF you want active monitoring of tire pressure in most modern vehicles, by tire and pressure readouts, there is an entire after market industry that sells user kits to add an external sensor to your valve stem and a small unit you can place on your dash that the sensors will communicate with. Just one example (not a specific recommendation) : Amazon.com: Jansite TPMS Solar Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Universal Wireless LCD Display 4pcs Waterproof External Sensors Real-time Detection Tire Pressure Temperature Auto Security Alarm Systems 0-62 PSI: Automotive

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I wonder if the owner’s manual is still wrapped in cellophane? Whatever happened to checking tire pressure, with a gauge, once a month?

I’ve now spent over $600 replacing tire sensors in our RAV4 just to keep that government mandated dash light turned off. Good job Honda.👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts