Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...
I have a 2017 EX FWD that I purchased in December. I recently noticed that the lower engine cover was missing two of the pins, and one of the bolts was stripped at the head, making it impossible to remove. Another bolt looks like it has rusted to the cover. A few weeks ago, I took it to the dealer for its first (free) oil change. Upon completion of the oil change, the dealer made absolutely no mention of the missing pins, the stripped bolt, or the rusty bolt. Between the stripped bolt and the rusty bolt, it has me questioning whether the oil change even happened...
Today, I took it back to the dealer to have these issues addressed. The service advisor offered to ask the service manager if manager would be willing to replace it. (I've priced all the pieces; $50 total...) The advisor made no mention of the missing pins, or offer to replace them. (She showed me some small scratches on the lower front cover, and said that may have caused the issues...) She also mentioned that it probably wouldn't be covered under the warranty...

My question: How far do I take this? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated...
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
10MM bolts and Lock washers. one on the back, change them all out, the cost is you going to HomeDepot buying for under $10.00. the other J3 1/4 turn ones you can also get but at the Part department.

Hand over the Bolts and washers and say replace them and then show me.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
I purchases a hand full of pins and some screws when I found some missing after the dealer did an oil change. Don't know if they fell out or they weren't reinstalled. That was the only oil change the dealer performed. Three years later doing my own fluid changes no pins or screws have been lost. Also if the screw heads are stripped out it is almost certain that they used a phillips screw driver instead of a #2 JIS screw driver. I also put silicone grease on the threads to prevent rusting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My wife inherited her mothers
‘17 CR-V back in March with 19k miles on it. She had the the paperwork from the dealer having two oil changes preformed on it.
I have my own 4 post vehicle lift and do all my own maintenance. We too had half the fasteners missing. I went to the dealer to see if they would at least provide the missing fasteners so I can install them when I do the next oil change which was due.
Even providing records that they were the only ones to work on the car, they would not provide me with any.

They did want to schedule me to come in for an oil change though.
I just told them that if they can’t change the oil properly why would I want them to work on our car!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I removed mine on my civic and from day one on the crv. I don't care about the extra .001 cd or .001mpg improvement...yes it also keeps the underside cleaner, but I don't drive it off-road...if anybody wants mine for free have at it....I have all the hardware to go with it as well...

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
I removed mine on my civic and from day one on the crv. I don't care about the extra .001 cd or .001mpg improvement...yes it also keeps the underside cleaner, but I don't drive it off-road...if anybody wants mine for free have at it....I have all the hardware to go with it as well...

The thing I do not understand is why Honda did not simply make the shield with a small but sufficient access port to change out the oil and filter without the need to pull the shield. Though it remains unclear how many instances of damaged shields takes place in the field, nor what the exact cause is. It is proposed that it is incompetence by a service tech.. but that is hardly proven so far.

Knowing Honda.. I bet we see a refined approach to under engine shields in new generations of Hondas.

·
Registered
2017 EX White Diamond Pearl
171 Posts
The thing I do not understand is why Honda did not simply make the shield with a small but sufficient access port to change out the oil and filter without the need to pull the shield. Though it remains unclear how many instances of damaged shields takes place in the field, nor what the exact cause is. It is proposed that it is incompetence by a service tech.. but that is hardly proven so far.

Knowing Honda.. I bet we see a refined approach to under engine shields in new generations of Hondas.
makes me want to cut a few openings in mine, but I drive so little I change my oil once a year..:confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
10MM bolts and Lock washers. one on the back, change them all out, the cost is you going to HomeDepot buying for under $10.00. the other J3 1/4 turn ones you can also get but at the Part department.

Hand over the Bolts and washers and say replace them and then show me.
Can you please provide a link or exact bolts to get not sure what kind of bolts are needed. For example are these M6 10 MM in length. Will the 10MM Bolts replace all the hardware for the lower engine shield. Have a 2017 CRV with 1.5 in it.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Can you please provide a link or exact bolts to get not sure what kind of bolts are needed. For example are these M6 10 MM in length. Will the 10MM Bolts replace all the hardware for the lower engine shield. Have a 2017 CRV with 1.5 in it.
the bolt I used I had laying around. grab a 10mm at a local hardware store that is not going to be over 1/2 inch in length fit a lock washer on it as well a washer

·
Registered
198 Posts
Last time I got an oil change in my 2018, the tech said, “I am having trouble putting the skid plate back on. It seems to be bent. and one of the bolts is missing. Should I just put in in the cargo area?” Then he said, “You don’t really need it, anyway.” So, I said, “if you got it off, you can get it back on.“ It took him awhile, but he managed. 😎

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Last time I got an oil change in my 2018, the tech said, “I am having trouble putting the skid plate back on. It seems to be bent. and one of the bolts is missing. Should I just put in in the cargo area?” Then he said, “You don’t really need it, anyway.” So, I said, “if you got it off, you can get it back on.“ It took him awhile, but he managed. 😎
:oops:

That is the height of laziness!!

Reactions: fishycomics

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I did my 1st oil change I was unable to get the most rear fastner off. I was able to spin the cover out of the way and complete the oil change. Bought a new fastener from the dealer for about $5. Had to drill out the fastener and install the new one when I did my next oil change.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
When I did my 1st oil change I was unable to get the most rear fastner off. I was able to spin the cover out of the way and complete the oil change. Bought a new fastener from the dealer for about $5. Had to drill out the fastener and install the new one when I did my next oil change.
Use a JIS bit and not a Phillips bit and you will prevent stripping out the heads of the cross point screws. a little silicone grease on the threads will also prevent rusting and sticking.

·
Registered
122 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts