Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has probably been discussed on here before but I'm too lazy to look it up and honestly, I'd rather have a fresh thread about it anyways. I am the owner of a 3rd gen CRV and I am going to be upgrading the suspension on it. I have been told to do lowering springs by some people, while others tell me to do coilovers. And I've even heard the occasional "bag it" remarks. For me, bags are out. I don't want to screw with tanks and air lines etc. I want something that will perform well and look good, not just one or the other. So I am curious what others have done to their cars, not just 3rd gens, to upgrade the suspension. I know that for the 3rd gen CRV, H&R makes lowering springs, and Ksport makes coilovers. This is an important piece of my build on this car so I want it to be done right. While I want it to look good, I also want functionality without drastically sacrificing ride quality. I have spent a lot of money upgrading other aspects of this vehicle exactly the way that I want them so I don't want to skimp here. Tell me what you guys have, what companies or brands you have used, and what your results have been. I have custom made sway bars, front strut tower brace, and full bushings ready to go on this vehicle as well as front brake upgrades and of course, wheels and tires. The suspension itself is the final piece. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It will depends on what you need. H&R user here 4th gen. it is softer than stock a little bouncy on fronts but not crazy its just softer the OEM I lower my crv to get rid of huge fender gap and do not plan on any other things to do/change with suspension stuff. I am happy with the springs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seeing that the V we have isn't primarily driven by me, lowering a lot isn't an option. So lowering springs is going to be the choice for me. Our 3rd gen just past the 100k mile mark so I think an entire new suspension setup would be a nice little upgrade. I've sourced parts for it (H&R springs with KYB shocks for all four corners) and it came out to about 550, not including the installation or alignment costs.

I'm not sure how the coilovers would fare on the V as I'm not familiar with those brands. But I do appreciate the fact that there are now aftermarket parts that cater to the suspension of the 3rd gen V (practically non-existant when the model came out).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I run H&R springs on my 09 V. The ride is great. MDD I seen another thread you mentioned doing a turbo build on this. I am very interested with any info you could share. Please shoot me a message. I'm basically doing a Mugen replica but the idea of Turbo setup is great but next to impossible to find too much on. If you don't get into the turbo end I don't think going passed springs only is needed. Unless you are planning on putting some serious power down and hitting turns at 120 plus springs will do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coilovers are only considered if your tracking your car and expensive, not functionable where im from due to potholes. H&R springs are only available in the US for the 3rd Gen. If you want other lowering springs brands ie. espelirs, Rsr ect.. try sourcing it from Japan lower stance than H&R's. Thats what I did for my 3rd gen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Gang! Late to the party here but I hope someone sees this and answers. Has it pretty much been decided that if you do lowered coils on the 3rd gen V you NEED to replace the shocks? Using the H&R option only lowers it around 1.5", so would it really be needed? I only have experience lowering trucks, and a 1.5" lowering job on a truck doesn't really qualify for new shocks (unless you want). Just don't want to waste time, money, and effort if the ride quality isn't going to be drastically changed by adding new shocks.

Thank You!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those look pretty nice. I didn't really want to do the whole coilover set-up because I don't plan on going that low, but they seem nice...worth it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I run H&R springs on my 09 V. The ride is great. MDD I seen another thread you mentioned doing a turbo build on this. I am very interested with any info you could share. Please shoot me a message. I'm basically doing a Mugen replica but the idea of Turbo setup is great but next to impossible to find too much on. If you don't get into the turbo end I don't think going passed springs only is needed. Unless you are planning on putting some serious power down and hitting turns at 120 plus springs will do.
What kind of ddrivingdo you do on a daily basis? Also what struts are you running with those springs.I'm very interested in your set up, also can you post a photo of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't have to go extremely low on coilovers, that slammed look is cool but i would rather have a functional vehicle then scraping everywhere I go. I had megan racing coilovers on my civic si i had it set up for auto x daily driving. you can def get that on the crv.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You don't have to go extremely low on coilovers, that slammed look is cool but i would rather have a functional vehicle then scraping everywhere I go. I had megan racing coilovers on my civic si i had it set up for auto x daily driving. you can def get that on the crv.

That's my biggest question about the 2 different setups. Let's say you go with a spring and strut setup, unless you buy lowered struts you're shortening the stroke of your suspension. Which could lead to premature failure of a strut.
With the coil over, even the cheap ones now, you get adjustable damping, and full stroke regardless of ride height....

I was contemplating H&R Springs with Bilstein struts but for the same price I can pick up some Yonaka spec 2 coil overs..... My only concern there would be spring rate so I'm not bouncing all over the place

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts