Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I have no idea about oil dilution......I do know the turblow 1.5L will kick the 2.4L butt AND return better mpg. That’s a win win to me.?

Reactions: Daekwan

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
There are been fewer reports of oil dilution with the 2015 and later 2.4L engine in the CR-V LX models.
The difference between 2014 and 2015 2.4L engines was a change from a multi-point fuel injection system in the 2014 to a direct injection system in the 2015 CR-V. The 1.5L turbo engine is also uses direct injection.

·
Registered
277 Posts
In Canada the LX has a 1.5. The 2.4 is rated at 184 hp and 180 lb torque. The 1.5 is 190 hp and 179 lb torque.

I get 30 mpg for around town with summer blend gas and 33 mpg on the highway with my LX. No oil dilution problems. My CRV is a little over a year old and no problems. Very happy with it. Also the insurance premiums are very low.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In Canada the LX has a 1.5. The 2.4 is rated at 184 hp and 180 lb torque. The 1.5 is 190 hp and 179 lb torque.

I get 30 mpg for around town with summer blend gas and 33 mpg on the highway with my LX. No oil dilution problems. My CRV is a little over a year old and no problems. Very happy with it. Also the insurance premiums are very low.
2.4L
184 @ 6400 rpm
180 lb-ft @ 3900 rpm

1.5L T
190 HP @ 5600 rpm
179 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm

Gotta add in the RPM to see why the 1.5T is so much more fun to drive. Also helps get better gas mileage by several MPGs.

But on topic, the LX will have dilution, but much less and not enough to likely ever cause damage.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Does the CR-V LX have the same oil dilution problem that the EX and up with the turbo engine has?
As another new member here, I want to apologize for the off topic responses you have received. I guess Taylor Swift was right - haters gonna hate!

The oil dilution issue discussed in depth on this forum is only related to the 1.5L turbo engine.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
The oil dilution issue discussed in depth on this forum is only related to the 1.5L turbo engine.
Except that there have been reports of oil dilution in the 2015 and newer 2.4L engines in the US, just not as many as for the 1.5L turbo.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
A number of forum members HAVE reported OD in their 2.4s, so your statement is not categorically true.

It is true to state that the owner perceived issues with OD are much higher in the 1.5T then in the newer 2.4L direct injected engines.... but that could be more by virtue of the much larger number of 1.5Ts in the field compared to the most recent 2.4Ls.

Context is important and the fact is the 2.4L has only limited use in the lowest trim levels of CRV and Accord, and apparently only in the US. Not to mention the wide use of the 1.5T in Civics.

What all owners need to be aware of is the distinction in injection systems across different Honda models and generations. Direct Injection is now almost exclusive in Honda engines, whereas that used to not be the case. AND it is well known in the industry that direct injection engines.... by definition... do result in some fuel in the oil. It's more a question of how much or how badly it occurs in conjunction with how well the manufacturer designed the engine to be tolerant of oil dilution.

While I share everyone's concerns about OD in the 1.5T (even though I have have not observed it in my CRV, I take the reports as presented and I empathize), I understand that it is a fact of design for DI engines, and while the 1.5T has notable OD for some owners.... I also know that Honda has a very good track record of designing and producing engines that are reliable and resilient to a wide range of operating conditions. Not that they get things perfect by any means (no manufacturer does) but even when issues have popped on engines or transmissions on Honda's over the years, Honda as been one of the better companies in terms of addressing them in a positive manner. If I were a betting person, I would put my money on any given Honda engine vs it's competitors, based on their history.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
As another new member here, I want to apologize for the off topic responses you have received. I guess Taylor Swift was right - haters gonna hate!

All direct injection has some sort of oil dilution. The 2.4L is likely less than 5% and is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The LX 2.4 AWD has all the power I need. MPG has a lot to do on how you drive. If I wanted a fast vehicle I wouldn't buy a CRV. With the 2.4 I get 30 mpg around town and 33 mpg highway and the heat is no problem during the winter. I don't drive hard and don't do abrupt starts. I have no oil dilution problems. Time will tell if the oil dilution in the 1.5 causes pre mature engine wear. Have to see if any of the 1.5 class action lawsuits pan out with oil dilution and inadequate heat. Maybe a long term extended warranty will be part of the settlement if it gets to court for engine wear. Don't know what can be done for the heat.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The LX 2.4 AWD has all the power I need. MPG has a lot to do on how you drive. If I wanted a fast vehicle I wouldn't buy a CRV. With the 2.4 I get 30 mpg around town and 33 mpg highway and the heat is no problem during the winter. I don't drive hard and don't do abrupt starts. I have no oil dilution problems. Time will tell if the oil dilution in the 1.5 causes pre mature engine wear. Have to see if any of the 1.5 class action lawsuits pan out with oil dilution and inadequate heat. Maybe a long term extended warranty will be part of the settlement if it gets to court for engine wear. Don't know what can be done for the heat.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. You are not the first or last person that will pick reliability and lower price over more fun and better gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Wonder what "around town" entails?????

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Those torque figures are very impressive for the 1.5t. As a humble 16 owner with the 2.4/cvt I bet the 1.5 steps off the line very nimbly.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
2000 rpms (torque) is reached almost instantly........it would be interesting if the 1.5L turblow were bolted to a "traditional" auto tranny (6+ speed).;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Happily, I don't seem to be having any issues with my 18 Touring. I have even stopped checking (and smelling) the oil 3 times a week, although I did check it yesterday after quite a few weeks. Still the same half mm below full that it's been since day 1.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
Those torque figures are very impressive for the 1.5t. As a humble 16 owner with the 2.4/cvt I bet the 1.5 steps off the line very nimbly.
It definitely does, especially in sport mode where the engine will move right into the sweet spot on the torque band almost as soon as you put your foot on it and accelerate.

One time a few months after I got my CRV.. there was some cagey car activity adjacent to my lane and so I tromped on it to move forward and get away from possible contact.. and boy does it move when you floor it. Startled me for a moment.. but was is was so impressive I found an open street where I could do it again and really enjoy it uninterrupted and undistracted. :D

Don't need the power often, but it's really nice to know it is there when you need it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Depends on where you are - LX with 1.5L engine has high likelihood of OD - LX with the 2.4L engine most likely will not - it is thesame engine as the 2015 and 2016 CR-V have and few have had OD.

Evey GDI engine (Honda, GM, Ford, Kia, Hyundia) like all diesel engines will have some OD - the 1.5L Turbo seems to have more than others - even the 2.0L turbo is seeing excessive OD.

The issue is excessive OD. and the 1.5L turbo shows it more because of the smaller oil pan (3.7 quarts vs 4.5 quarts for the 2.4L engine).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
There have been a few reports of the 2015 and newer 2.4L engines having the oil dilution problem.
Oil dilution is apparently caused by the direct fuel injection design of the engine heads for the 2.4L and the 1.5L engines, and the turbo appears to make it worse for the 1.5L.
The 2014 and earlier 2.4L engines have a multipoint injection system, and do not have oil dilution problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

This is the right

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.