Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I'm planning to place a 1333 lb pull magnet, with an eyelit, on the inside roof of my 2017 crv ex. I will hook a small block and tackle to the eyelit so I can lift my 60 lb collapsed electric wheelchair into my cargo area. Does anyone know of a possible problem the powerful magnet will have on my vehicle? The magnet will go on the plastic headliner. Once it's on it will be impossible to remove. Thanks. Let me know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
  • I'm planning to place a 1333 lb pull magnet, with an eyelit, on the inside roof of my 2017 crv ex. I will hook a small block and tackle to the eyelit so I can lift my 60 lb collapsed electric wheelchair into my cargo area. Does anyone know of a possible problem the powerful magnet will have on my vehicle? The magnet will go on the plastic headliner. Once it's on it will be impossible to remove. Thanks. Let me know.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Watch out for the GPS antenna above there. I don't know if a magnet will interfere?

Good luck, would love to see pictures when completed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Your roof is not made to bear that weight; it is likely it will buckle, as it's just a continuous single sheet of metal. I would have a body shop remove the headliner and rear upper trim, and fabricate and weld something to the cross-member that the hatch attaches to.

(Remember that the load is going to be far higher than 60 lb; there's the forces involved every time you yank on the rope to lift it higher.)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
what was your other car that you did it to?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Your roof is not made to bear that weight; it is likely it will buckle, as it's just a continuous single sheet of metal. I would have a body shop remove the headliner and rear upper trim, and fabricate and weld something to the cross-member that the hatch attaches to.

(Remember that the load is going to be far higher than 60 lb; there's the forces involved every time you yank on the rope to lift it higher.)
The magnet doesn't weigh that much. It has that much pulling force. I am assuming it weighs 5-10 lbs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All good points. Thanks for your input. There are several cross beams in the roof that the headliner attached to. I'm thinking the heavy frame just inside the hatch door that the hinges are attached to. I plan on placing the magnet on one of them. I have not done this in any other vehicle. This is the first. I'll be using the Nifty Lift block and tackle made by veterans. Thanks again. I will send pictures when it's done.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
One advantage of having a body shop weld on a small bracket (or any welder could likely do it with nothing more than a little angle iron) is that if you ever choose to sell the car, the bracket could be ground off and the car returned to something like the original state (maybe with a slit in the headliner or rear trim where the bracket poked out.)

Food for thought.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Why a professional would be a best advice getto the shop you can talk, and then come back and decide.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts

Excellent advice.

One other thing to note: not only will the actual load appear higher then 60lb due to localized forces, but you will also be going through fatigue cycles on the point of metal load bearing every time you hoist in and out. If a metal structure is not designed in advance for such load and resulting fatigue... over time you may induce serious damage. Plus, given the force of that magnet.. you can never remove it without damaging the vehicle in some way.

I'm not sure what the best approach would be for what is wanted here, but I really don't think the magnet and it's planned location is a good idea in the long term. Only a structural engineer would really know....though there are professionals that retrofit vehicles for these sorts of things... so maybe seek one and gain some insight and guidance before committing to something irreversible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, keep in mind the the load is doubled on a single overhead pulley, even if you pull smoothly. 60 pound load and 60lbs plus whatever friction in effort to pull it. You might not get enough magnetic pull in one spot. There’s not a ton of steel there, and magnetic attraction falls of exponentially with distance. The headliner material will significantly reduce the magnet’s pull. As the magnet would crush the hell out of the headliner anyway, I’d just poke a small hole and bolt to a cross member or a few.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Do some homework I say

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to say my plan did not work. Well, it worked but it was too much weight for my wife to pull up. I ended up hooking the block and tackle to the latch in the roof designed to secure a baby seat in the middle seat, it lifted ok and went into the cargo bed. but my wife couldn't pull it up. So looks like I'm going to have a Bruno lift installed. thanks for your advice.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
good luck and post up should have listened to the Mrs first

1 - 18 of 18 Posts