Not open for further replies.

Maintaining 2014 CR-V

27K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  wymark 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone :)
I just got my 2014 CR-V EX a week ago
I love the car!!!

I know its little early to ask but i still want to hear from owners
At what mileage will oil need to be changed?

Also some maintenance tips would be good because its my first leased car
I also own 2004 civic :)

#2 ·
There's a maintenance minder, a % counter in the menu somewhere. I think your first service is 10,000 miles, oil/filter and tire rotation.
I'm loving mine too. Great car, great mileage on mine so far: 29.6 mpg overall as calculated.

#8 ·
Concerning maintenance upkeep, I think just sticking to the Maintenance Minder is good enough. Some dealers try to sell other stuff, but I don't think it's needed. I do believe in alignments and balancing as needed. Normally just part of the tired replacement. I have other CRVs and the maintenance minder has worked just fine.

#11 ·
I'm new at this so please be patient. I have just turned 900 miles on my new Honda. I took it back to the dealer to have the "break-in oil" changed as I thought it might have metal shavings, particles from the new engine and I wanted to protect the engine. The service manager said I did not need to change the oil that they did not do "break-in oil change" any more. I had a 2004 Escape and when I bought it the Ford dealer did a break-in oil change at 600 miles. Why not now? Also the replacement oil is 0-20 weight, I would prefer 5-20 weight, but I do not want to void my warranty. Any comments would be appreciated.

#14 · (Edited)
I also have a new 2014 CR-V with 900 miles on it. Is it not wise to change the first oil early to remove any metal filling from the new engine?
Aren't you the same MaryL?
You have a Honda now, it isn't a Ford. Your Honda came with brake in oil, change it when the MM says it is time.

BTW, when mine is due for it's first change, it will be switched to 5w-20

#16 ·
The factory oil fill has a lot of "Moly" in it according to the guys at the BobIsTheOilGuy.com website. Changing it out early would remove it.

But, I'm told that (GASP!) Toyota motor oil has higher than the usual levels of moly. So, if that floats your boat, use that. Don't know if it is available in 0W-20, though. You'll have to research it.

+++++++++++++

We followed Honda recommendations with both our CRV and Fit, kept the factory fill in for the full term, and have not have any issues. Both cars are north of 100K miles.

#17 ·
Best advice: just follow the Maintenance Minder and use the kind of oil that Honda specifies. I did that on my 2007 and had no issues; I don't expect to have any issues with my 2013.

#18 ·
I've always waiting for the MM to come on in all my previous Hondas so I don't plan on doing anything different with this one.

#20 ·
The owners manual for my new 2014 CRV shows 0-20 weight oil for ambient (outside air) temperatures of up to 100 F. This makes no sense to me since the car was bought in El Paso and we live in El Paso, and the temperature here frequently rises over 100--sometimes even 112F in summer. And we bought the car for our frequent drives to Tucson, AZ (even hotter, sometimes!) and to Houston (much of that over 100F, too). It seems to me that we'll be driving much of the time with little or less than ideal protection for our engine. What to do without voiding the warranty?

Also, the manual for the new 2014 CRV does not clearly specify a first oil change interval or regular oil change intervals. Or did I miss that? Either way, that info is not easily accessed.

Honda seems to have gone backwards in writing its manuals. Our 2002 CRV and our 2002 Civic both had clear and obvious guidelines for oil change intervals and oil viscosity for El Paso driving conditions. Come on Honda, get on the stick.

Our 02 CRV LX, BTW, has been running Mobil 1 Synthetic 5-20 and (later, when the engine got worn a bit) 10-30 for 12 years and 218,000 miles and is still going strong.

Any advice appreciated.

#24 ·
Not sure why you think you'd need a different oil in El Paso than you would anywhere else. Honda specs 0w-20, so 0w-20 must provide the viscosity and flow characteristics they want in the engine at operating temperature, which is the same whether the ambient temperature outside is 50° or 100°. I think the stock thermostat is somewhere in the 180-190° range.

#21 · (Edited)
The new synthetic oils should have no problems with the heat in El Paso. They also come in 0w30 wt, I believe.
Newer vehicles, such as yours, use the MM to indicate when the oil should be changed. Read up on it to see what it is supposed to do and see if you would trust it.
Why not call the Honda dealer where you bought it and ask them about what oil to use in El Paso?
BobIsTheOilGuy.com has some great info about these type of things.
Most engine wears occurs when the engine is first started and before warming up to operating temp, so a lower first number can help reduce that wear. ( 0 instead of 5 or 10)
Newer vehicles, such as yours, don't run much hotter in outside temps over 100F than they do at temps in the 80's or 90's and the newer oils have no problem with that.
Buffalo4
PS: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-motor-oil-for-your-car/

#22 ·
The computer in the newer vehicles monitors engine time, rpms, outside temperatures - then figures out when the oil needs changing - the exception is if you are towing with the vehicle - the intervals should be smaller than the computer as the excess wear on the transmission is not considered by the Mileage Minder.

Those that have sent oil to be analyzed for issue have not seen any running the 0W20 oil at the MM down to 5 or 10 percent. Some folks already have 150,000 miles and no out of spec oil analysis have occurred.

We have computerized robots making the engines and the tolerances are better than they were 10 years ago - the oil is better than 10 years ago.

My first car required 1000 mile oil changes ( and the tires barely made it to 4000 miles ) you also needed new point with the oil change - new plugs every 3rd oil change. Air conditioning was only on the Lincoln, Cadillac, and Imperial vehicles as an option.

My second car was 3 months or 3000 miles (whichever came first) new points about once a year and new plugs at that time. 3rd parties made add on A/C for most vehicles if you had enough horsepower - Vegas could be bought with A/C but a switch turned it off when you accelerated or needed more HP.

Soon afterwards the 6 months or 5000 miles became the norm. car engines got bigger and A/C started to be standard on higher end models of cars. Honda did not offer Factory Air until after they started building cars in Ohio. It was an dealer add on.

Now with Computers monitoring the engine, better tolerances, computers firing the spark plug and measuring the gas - we have no point, spark plugs last well over 100,000 miles ( and look new when replaced ).

#23 ·
I use only Mobil One 0W20 oil

I do run 39 lbs of air in my tires to get better MPG - 32 lbs is almost 3/4 of the tires 44 lbs max.

Get a Wheelbarrow and the tire says 60 lbs max - release the air to 38 lbs (this is what Honda is recommending for your CR-V in relation to the 60 lbs) and push it around - then fill it to 53 lbs (my equivalent) and push it around - now you will know why I use 39 lbs - any more air and the steering on the CR-V is too easy and feels squirrel.

I have gotten a couple of tanks of over 40 MPG (US) driving the Interstates of Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina on trips using Econ mode and Cruise Control.

#25 ·
I would change it when the little wrench comes on, or when your dealer recommends. One thing I wouldn't do is lend any credence to the internet trolls who still think that the first oil change should be at 1,000 or 1,500 or whatever. Honda says to leave the factory fill in till the MM gets down to 15%, trust the Honda engineers more than the random people on the internet who "know" better.

I tried running my tires at 38-39 and thought it was too harsh, backed it off to 36 and I'm pretty happy there. My wife averages 26-28mpg daily driving, and we've seen as high as 33mpg on trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.