Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 CRV with 30,000 miles and no issues at all. Been changing oil every 5,000 miles, so getting time to do. Dealership wants to do a 30k maintenance service on it and maintenance minder only shows A1. Should I spend the money or wait to 50k?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
545 Posts
As I recall there wasn't that much to the 30k service. I would do it if I were you.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
"Dealership wants to do a 30k maintenance service on it" because they haven't made much money off of you. They will likely do things that aren't necessary. If they're particularly slimy, they'll charge you for it and not actually do it. After all, with only 30k on it, how would you know it wasn't done?

Stick with the maintenance minder's recommendations. I have sent my oil in to be analyzed when the maint. minder was at 0, and the lab said I could go another 500-1000 miles.

·
Registered
258 Posts
In my opinion if you did nothing else I would at least get a brake service and the rear diff fluid changed .....approx. $150 at my Honda dealer.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You need to adhere to the maintenance intervals as posted in Honda user manual. Don't let other persuade you otherwise. After all, dealership when doing those services would be able to spot any potential problems early on and fix them instead of waiting for the problem to occur and it would be more costly to fix. For example, if a tire is about to fall off your car, the dealer would fix right away and save your brake/shock/suspension/ball joints etc. all of those parts that would be damaged were the tire to fall off while you're driving. Which would be cheaper? Moreover, this is your car and not other posters' car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you've been following the MM since purchase there isn't anything extra to do at 30k. If AWD, the rear diff fluid should have been done around 15k and I believe the brake fluid is around 3 years. Other than that throw a new cabin and engine air filter in it if you haven't already and get the oil changed. The dealer makes a ton of money on upselling services, pick exactly what you need done and nothing else and don't ever let them (or any oil change place) change either the air or cabin air filter. They're easy to do and the markup at a dealer is ridiculous, the one I took mine to wanted $60 to change the cabin air filter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You need to adhere to the maintenance intervals as posted in Honda user manual. Don't let other persuade you otherwise. After all, dealership when doing those services would be able to spot any potential problems early on and fix them instead of waiting for the problem to occur and it would be more costly to fix. For example, if a tire is about to fall off your car, the dealer would fix right away and save your brake/shock/suspension/ball joints etc. all of those parts that would be damaged were the tire to fall off while you're driving. Which would be cheaper? Moreover, this is your car and not other posters' car.
do you work for honda or something? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
99 Posts
The dealer is just trying to pad their pockets, big surprise. Unless the OP is driving down an oil field road everyday, I serious doubt that the vehicle is in need of anything more than basic maintenance.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If one was assiduously getting their maintenance done at the dealer, and the wheels were nearly falling off by the next service, I would obtain service elsewhere, as somebody really screwed up.

With few exceptions, there are no "maintenance intervals" in the manual; there's just the Maintenance Minder, which says what must be done when. (And, in this case, it's the dealer themselves trying to persuade otherwise; in the form of a made-up list of things that need doing at 30k.)

·
Registered
533 Posts
OP, follow your instinct. if you feel you need your vehicle checked out and maintained by the dealership, you should do it and not listen to the so-call "experts on the internet. You are not them and they are not you. if the dealership has a record of your car always up to date on maintenance, then when it's time for warranty claims, they can't find excuses to deny you.

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,918 Posts
OP, follow your instinct. if you feel you need your vehicle checked out and maintained by the dealership, you should do it and not listen to the so-call "experts on the internet. You are not them and they are not you. if the dealership has a record of your car always up to date on maintenance, then when it's time for warranty claims, they can't find excuses to deny you.
In a gen5 CRV.... the onboard Maintenance Minder IS the expert. It keeps track of literally every normally required interval maintenance for the vehicle. It is even smart enough to pop a oil service on a one year calendar interval if calculated wear has not brought the oil life down to 15%. The MM literally does a 10% tick down on oil life ~ every 36 days.

The dealers only value add here is: 1) the actual mainteance they do at each flagged item needing service, 2) diagnositc services when something other then normal maintenance pops up on a vehicle, along with recommended repairs to address whatever issue it is. 3) routine dispoables like air filters, brake pads, battery, tires, etc. where they check at service intervals, and judge replacement based on inspection/test.

Regarding your "wheels ready to fall off" hypthetical, that would be caught well ahead of time during a regular dealer A1 or B1 service.. as that is when they rotate the tires, inspect and lube the brake assemblies, etc.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
2017 CRV with 30,000 miles and no issues at all. Been changing oil every 5,000 miles, so getting time to do. Dealership wants to do a 30k maintenance service on it and maintenance minder only shows A1. Should I spend the money or wait to 50k?

Thanks in advance!!!
There literally is no such thing as a "30K maintenance" in any current generation Hondas. Which does not mean there are no maintenance flags from the Maintenance Minder as you approach 30K miles... only that the dealer made this one up and I bet it is some fixed bundle of services they would like to do for a stated fee. Some MM flags are miles based, or calculated (like oil life) on a range of actual driving conditons, and some are time duration based.

I'm curious as to what exactly they told you was included in this "30K maintenance". Did they give you an estimate and list of items covered in the service? They should..because these dealers almost all work off of pre-determined lists of maintenance and the fees associated.

There certainly is no downside to accepting the offered services.. except to your wallet. :)

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Dealer offers me their additional maintenance. I decline. I stick with the maintenance minder with one exception. With all the pollen around here, filters get really dirty. The manual recommends 15000 mile filter changes instead of MM 30000 in extremely dirty areas. I change mine (myself) every other oil change which works out to about 13000 miles (Using MM for oil change).

·
Registered
116 Posts
In my experience, getting these extra dealer inspections have never saved me money down the line or prevented further issues. It’s a cash grab in my opinion. If there’s something wrong with the car, chances are you’ll hear it, see it, or smell it.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
In my experience, getting these extra dealer inspections have never saved me money down the line or prevented further issues. It’s a cash grab in my opinion. If there’s something wrong with the car, chances are you’ll hear it, see it, or smell it.
I don't disagree that it generally won't save money.

But im not sure about that last statement. Ton of stuff the average user can't identify diagnose, or hear if you consider how old the average CRV buyer is

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Nobody here is saying people should never get their maintenance done at the dealer. Just that when the car is there, you should only perform the maintenance called for by the maintenance minder, as opposed to whatever expensive made-up list the service department has come up with. Even if you refuse whatever additional crap the dealer wants to add on, you'll still have the dealership record of the correct maintenance being done on-time.

·
Registered
116 Posts
By then it could be too late.
It could be too late, yes I agree. But it's about risk, and I think that risk is worth taking, when you're saving a couple of hundred bucks, which is likely what you'd spend anyhow if a repair came up.
I haven't heard many cases where the dealer found something in those extra inspections that saved the Customer money down the line. They usually just top off fluids, check tire pressure, take the car for a test drive, etc ..., some of which are already done during an oil change.

(an exception of this could be a pre-end of warranty inspection - you can argue that there are benefits to that)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
It could be too late, yes I agree. But it's about risk, and I think that risk is worth taking, when you're saving a couple of hundred bucks, which is likely what you'd spend anyhow if a repair came up.
I haven't heard many cases where the dealer found something in those extra inspections that saved the Customer money down the line. They usually just top off fluids, check tire pressure, take the car for a test drive, etc ..., some of which are already done during an oil change.

(an exception of this could be a pre-end of warranty inspection - you can argue that there are benefits to that)
I agree. And with a modern vehicle like a gen5 CRV.. the risk of something serious being wrong and there being no alerts from the vehicle to the driver is pretty low.

A gen5 CRv is not dads 57 Chevy. With most issues that can go wrong with these modern vehicles... there are in fact sensors that monitor for correct operation AND pop warning alerts when they detect an issue. This does make for some false positives at times, but that is due to Honda's conservative approach, which I see as a good thing.

Not everything is sensored.. but most everything that would fall into jtubers "by then it could be too late" statement is.

These vehicles are now designed to largely self-monitor and let the driver just drive. Fluid level readouts being an exception to the case with Hondas, other then to throw a warning alert if there are issues with critical fluids. But responsible owners can and will check fluids routinely when they refill the fuel tank.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts