Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has probably been asked 100s of times now, and yes i have researched it in the past but....

I was going through the manual for a 2005 CRV today (I own a RHD JDM Spec 2004 Gen 2) and noticed that it is recommended to swap the oil out every 10k miles. Is that metric correct? I would assume so, since its indicated by the manufacturer. Ive always replaced my oil every 5-6k km. What does everyone else think?

Rectangle Font Slope Handwriting Parallel

·
Registered
2021 Honda CRV Sport
244 Posts
The metric is correct.
The 5km rule was for very old cars back in the day and that idea has just stuck. But engine oil can go for quite a while after that.
That being said I changed mine every 5km for multiple reasons. The engine was very high milage and I was the second owner. I did a lot of miles during the day. I did that to clear out any gunk. The second reason was that oil changes at my mechanic were very cheap. It allowed him to give the car a quick once over and keep a eye on it. Tat paid off a few times. I needed the car to last three years, it lasted nine. 🤣. There were times when money was tight and I did not change the oil at 5km. But that was fine, it could go on for a while. Its a Honda.

Reactions: otto33

·
Registered
262 Posts
Severe service schedule: anything north of the 49th parallel 😉

p.s. pennzoil platinum is $15 after Mail I’m rebate right now at crappy tire. Go get a couple 5L jugs. I ordered a bunch of filters online and I think they came to $5. At a $20 synthetic oil change I wouldn’t bat an eye at 5k or 7k interval. I actually do about 5k just because I don’t drive a lot and I change it once a year.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I was going through the manual for a 2005 CRV today (I own a RHD JDM Spec 2004 Gen 2) and noticed that it is recommended to swap the oil out every 10k miles. Is that metric correct? I would assume so, since its indicated by the manufacturer. Ive always replaced my oil every 5-6k km. What does everyone else think?
Same schedule in Europe. That's perfectly normal. My pre-MM 2008 Civic was already shifted to 20K km.

·
Registered
106 Posts
ok so this engine is reliant on oil pressure exact for more than just lubrication, it uses oil presssure, precise oil pressure for hydraulicly activating the things that make it run propperly.
At the age these motors are at now, id be going with the most regular oil changes I can convince myself to do. If you are considering 5k miles, do that. Just a little bit more time with cooked oil can hurt the rings just that little bit enough to start letting gasoline blowby and dilution of the oil, and theres no return from that. So the reality is is that cars with things like VTEC and VVTI and all these oil controlled systems after the year 2000, all of them are in the same boat, but hondas cost that more to fix and have this higher resale value if you can keep these enigne issues at bay, so its worth it to me.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,181 Posts
The Gen2 lights the "MAINT REQD" light on the dash at ignition on, after 6,000 miles (~10,000 km). After 10,000 miles (~16K, km) the light illuminates steady.

This is in no way reliant on the type of driving you do (see traylaw's picture) so as it says, in the Great White North you should probably change oil soon as the light starts coming on. (Note that the recommendation is for mineral oil, not synthetic)

·
Registered
28 Posts
This has probably been asked 100s of times now, and yes i have researched it in the past but....

View attachment 151727
I've never felt comfortable with Honda's oil schedule. I do, however, believe the old 3000 mile oil change is outdated with the newer, tighter engines, especially since we use synthetic oil. With that said, I don't prefer to push it past 6000 mi. I also always replace the oil and the oil filter. To give Honda credit, I believe they replace the filter more often. Hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Severe is what you think it ought to be, as well as what at first might seem gentle to some.
Frequent short trips, less than 4 miles are “severe.” In other words, always driving short trips, to the grocery store and so on — at least if done regularly — isn't actually normal driving; it's “severe” driving on a regular basis.

My (independent) mechanic considers almost all cars he sees as being driven "severe."

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought my 2012 New. Always changed oil/filter with minder around 7,000 miles. I had my oil tested and lab said I could easily go 9,000+ miles. I have 78,000 miles on car. I will probably stay with the 7,000 or so as it doesn't do any good to change the oil much later but you can only help your engine by changing it sooner. I have never had an engine problem in any cars/cycles/mowers/tractors in my 60 years of ownership of all my machines.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've never felt comfortable with Honda's oil schedule. I do, however, believe the old 3000 mile oil change is outdated with the newer, tighter engines, especially since we use synthetic oil. With that said, I don't prefer to push it past 6000 mi. I also always replace the oil and the oil filter. To give Honda credit, I believe they replace the filter more often. Hope that's helpful.
I had a Dodge with an engine that was notorious for sludge buildup and early engine failure. I was religious about that 3000 mile oil change and when I sold/gave it to one of the grandkids, it had 100,000 plus and their was no sludge. Granddaugher drove it another 80,000 miles and thanks to her Dad, never had an engine issue. Our 2015 Toyota Highlander doesn't get driven that much anymore, but it's either 5,000 miles or 6 months and the oil (synthetic) gets changed along with the filter. Our CRV will get the same treatment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have four cars to keep track of so I've found using 5K miles is best for me. I don't have to think about it, anytime one comes to a multiple of 5K I automatically change the oil and filter. (5K, 10K, 15K, 20K, etc.) Have never had an issue using this program and can't remember ever having to add oil between changes. 2017 CR-V (45K miles), 2016 Kia Sedona (70K miles), 2018 BMW Z4 (90K miles), 2019 Mustang (20K miles)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts