Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a special situation that I'd like to ask you all about. Sorry if this has been asked before, but I did a search and did not find a thread that matches my situation.

I own a 2008 CR-V EX 4WD and have had it since around December 2007/January 2008. Since then I have only put 11,200 miles on it (I do a lot of walking!). I got its first service at 5,000 miles and another at 10,000 miles, both times at Honda dealerships. I prefer a frequency of 5k-7.5k mile services since I do a lot of mixed highway/city driving.

So my question is this: Since my last service back around October 2008 (at 10,000 mileage), I have only put another 1,200 miles or so on my CR-V, which as mentioned above brings my mileage to around 11,200, and I don't know if I should keep waiting until I hit 15,000 miles or not to get my next service, since who knows how long that will be.

Also, I will be driving about 1,800 miles cross-country come late June (over the duration of about 2.5-3 days), so how might this factor into my decision?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
personally, i would hold off until a few days before you go for the trip, im just saying this because that's what my grandfather always taught me, just get your oil change, wheels rotated and aligned, and flluids topped off before the trip and you will be fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oil Change

You'll need an oil change now. Oil should be changed at a minimum of once every 3 months, regardless of low miles. Obviously, with higher miles, you'll change more frequently. Oil does go bad.

As far as the other fluids (transmission, brake, power steering, coolant, etc.), those are fine since it has only be about 7 months with light driving.

I would vamp up your driving now, though. If the car is only used to 500 miles a month and you're suddenly going to push it to 500 miles a day, then you should start pushing your car a little now to see how it will behave. I have full confidence in the car, but bring it up to speed!

You prob also wanna see how your butt will feel after hours and hours in the car! Long hours sitting on anything is just terrible...

Good luck!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Honda recommends "every 10K or 1 year whichever comes first".I personally only put 10K on mine and I change it twice a year Spring and late Fall.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Generation 3 Are Scheduled By The Maintenance Minder

The oil changes are scheduled by the on board Maintenance Minder on Generation 3 CR-Vs (2007 and up). On low mileage vehicles the owner's manual states the following:

"If the message "Service" does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year."

Many people do not like waiting as long as the MM schedules, or waiting for 12 months. I am not providing a recommendation, just pointing out what your owner's manual states.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. I hadn't noticed the minimal mileage oil change recommendations in the manual so thanks for bringing that up!

I'm getting some factory accessories installed soon so I will maybe just have them take a little look at the essentials just to make sure nothing is needed imminently. If not I'll most likely wait until 15,000 miles hit or about 1 year passes, whichever first.

The last road trip I did in my V was 2,400 miles in 3'ish days, and it was as pleasurable and care-free as such a drive could be, and at a total average of 28.8 MPG to boot!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'll need an oil change now. Oil should be changed at a minimum of once every 3 months, regardless of low miles. Obviously, with higher miles, you'll change more frequently. Oil does go bad.

As far as the other fluids (transmission, brake, power steering, coolant, etc.), those are fine since it has only be about 7 months with light driving.

I would vamp up your driving now, though. If the car is only used to 500 miles a month and you're suddenly going to push it to 500 miles a day, then you should start pushing your car a little now to see how it will behave. I have full confidence in the car, but bring it up to speed!

You prob also wanna see how your butt will feel after hours and hours in the car! Long hours sitting on anything is just terrible...

Good luck!
Oil spoils just like milk? Just from sitting? I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
196 Posts
my recommendation = oil change

Almost all auto fluids will go bad over time, unopened on a shelf or already poured in the car system. The same is with gasoline.

Since the last time you had an oil change was October, that's 7 months and through about 3 seasons later. That's through the cold of winter, damp of spring, and the heat of summer (already hit ~95F where I am). I, personally, would spend the $30 or less and change the oil. I'd also check my entire AC unit to make sure I can remain cooool the whole drive.

A little money spent now being too safe is better than 500 miles into your trip and having the MM complain or worse!

On another note, what accessories are you getting?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
MM Complaining

I do not give oil change interval recommendations because, in light of the wild variations in the recommendations given in life/death sincerity, I realize that I am too dumb to know which expert is correct. However I will state that the MM is not suddenly going to complain midway through your trip if it has been properly reset at the last service, and you have a high percentage displayed prior to the trip. If it was not properly reset then everything I mention below is moot. The only way of knowing if it was reset is if you noticed that it read 100% immediately after the service.

The MM constantly displays a percentage of oil life remaining based on engine revolutions and conditions and your driving style--not actual oil quality. It is limited to 10% increments down to 20% then 5% increments down to zero. So when the MM indicates 70% your actual oil life is somewhere between 70 and 61%. There is a chart on page 273 of your Owner's Manual showing these percentages.

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/ASWA20/ASWA2008OMA.pdf

So as you drive the oil life is being consumed. When it gets to 15% it turns on the yellow wrench icon. This is telling you that it is time to make appointment or if you are a DIY, get your supplies. You can turn off the icon by pressing (quick jab) the odometer rod. When it gets down to 5% a SERVICE display will appear. This is just stating OK ANY TIME NOW. When you get to 0% the light will come on and stay on and the display starts indicating mileage. This is your V telling you that YOU ARE DELINQUENT (AND I AM KEEPING TRACK OF HOW MUCH MILEAGE SO I CAN RAT YOU OUT TO THE DEALER). I am not sure about the part in parenthesis, but my suspicion is that the dealer can hook up to your system and read a record of MMI resets. The MM has no way of knowing whether the service was actually performed, it only knows when it was reset.

For the few members that have reported their percentages it appears that the MM is scheduling between 5000 and 10000 + mile intervals based on your driving style. Our friend Roman who lives in Hollywood (and is quite glamorous I might add) is getting on the low end because he sits on Sunset Blvd. and signs autographs with his engine running. Our less glamorous friend in Kansas, Badgerland, is pushing 10 K because nobody wants his autograph and his V is seeing more highway miles. Me, a complete slob--people tend to run in opposite direction, I get around 7800 to 8000 at 15%. I drive mostly suburban, no rush hour, and little interstate. There has been some observation that the MMI seems to go a bit non-linear as it approaches 15%, that is 30% to 20% will be less mileage than 80% to 70%.

But here is the point that I am trying to make, you can look at what ever percentage is left at any time by repeatedly jabbing the odometer stick until you see it displayed (don't hold it down, you will reset the trip odometers, just quick jabs). If the MMI was reset at the last service, and you now have 1200 miles on the vehicle my guess is that your oil life will read somewhere between 90% to 70% (unless you are doing really heavy city rush hour traffic). Lets also presume by the time that you leave on your trip that you have 60% remaining. You are not going to chew up the remaining life in 1800 miles (I am assuming that is your total trip mileage and not just one way). If you look at the shortest interval of 5000, 60% (60% to 51%) should give you at least 2500 miles before it "complains".

So my point here is that the MMI isn't suddenly going to indicate service on you out of the blue, unless you totally ignore it. You have to make the effort of punching the odometer stick to see what percentage is left, but a reasonable period before your trip you can look at the percentage left and figure out if the MM is going to run out on you during the trip. To be on the safe side subtract 10% from the reading. So if it states 60% use 50% because actual percentage is between 60 and 51.

Again that is not a recommendation to use the MMI or when to change your oil. I am only stating that if it was properly reset at your last service, and it shows a high percentage before your trip, you will not see the wrench icon during your trip (again based on 1800 miles total--not one way).

Good luck with your trip and your oil change intervals.

·
Registered
586 Posts
It amazes me that Dealers and service people don't take the time to explain the MM system on the newer Honda products. Owners don't relize what they have:confused: Hal

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Dealer's Are Generally Not Fans of The MM

Dealer's want people coming in for oil changes at 3 K and then do the big services at 20, 30, 40, 50.... None of which exists in the maintenance minder. The maintenance minder is costing the dealers service bucks and they don't like it. Look at all the post we get for people reporting 30K service on a gen 3. Honda does not have a 30k service. That is an invention of the dealers.

Every owner gets an owner's manual and the MM is fairly well described in the manual. It amazes me how many people don't look at the manual.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
For the few members that have reported their percentages it appears that the MM is scheduling between 5000 and 10000 + mile intervals based on your driving style. Our friend Roman who lives in Hollywood (and is quite glamorous I might add) is getting on the low end because he sits on Sunset Blvd. and signs autographs with his engine running. Our less glamorous friend in Kansas, Badgerland, is pushing 10 K because nobody wants his autograph and his V is seeing more highway miles.
I have LOTS of people wanting my autograph; the gas company, the electric company...

PLUS I'm glamous in my own mind..I have a face made for radio!!!:cool::cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Dealer's want people coming in for oil changes at 3 K and then do the big services at 20, 30, 40, 50.... None of which exists in the maintenance minder. The maintenance minder is costing the dealers service bucks and they don't like it. Look at all the post we get for people reporting 30K service on a gen 3. Honda does not have a 30k service. That is an invention of the dealers.

Every owner gets an owner's manual and the MM is fairly well described in the manual. It amazes me how many people don't look at the manual.
I agree 100% but some of the members are second owners and didn't get a manual so rather than jumping all over them (not naming anyone) first we should point them in the direction of where they can get a copy.I bought my Rav4 used and it had no manual but someone told me where I could get a copy of it on the net.

·
Registered
196 Posts
MM

I don't trust software. Especially when it comes to things I can do myself and check the software at hand. Otherwise I have to believe it is working. Maybe the MM is awesome; I just have no experiece with it. I have a 1.5 gen V and have always checked my own oil.

I also don't trust or truely know how these things, like the MM, work. For example, my place has a MM of sorts for my air filter. It starts at 100% and goes down to 0%. I believe it only measures % baised on how much air has flowed through the filter and does not measure the filter itself. It doesn't know how dirty the air is or how dirty the filter is becomming. For this reason, I just pull out the filter and check it. I do the same with my V and just physically check all the fluids myself, looking or smelling, to see if they are in need of change. I also look at my milk before drinking, even if the expiration date hasn't been met.

I also feel that while facts are useful, we should be putting our opinions up! Don't be shy! I think most of us are here to see how we treat our cars, what we, as owners, recommend, and what we do to our cars. We can easily just google what the facts are, but I think we want to see what others are doing, whether right, wrong, or completely weird and strange. I'm leaving "stupid" out because I don't think we want to see it, but do enjoy a good chuckle when crazy stories arise. Not saying that there's bad stuff going down in this thread, but I have noticed some harsher tones and fightin' words in other posts.

To the OP, I wish you luck in your trip! You'll have tons of fun in your drive! Where are you going, if we may ask?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes you still need to be visual , but the M.M. is a very good tool for the person that does not have a mechanical mind like my Wife! You should find out how the system works and you may become a believer. It measures allot of what goes on with your auto and the ICE. And why change something when it is still doing its thing and not harming the performance of your V! :) Hal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Interesting insights. I haven't used the MM because I figure that every 5,000-7,000 miles is frequent enough to keep my car in tip-top shape, so I haven't even seen it come on yet.

To answer an earlier question, I've installed the following accessories and my wallet really hurts (even though I bought most of them from H&A):

Body side moldings
Tailgate spoiler
Chrome exhaust finisher
Moonroof hood
Front deflector
Window deflectors
Splash guards
Roof rack
Engine block heater
Fog lights
Rubber floor/cargo mats (a must-have for anyone in my opinion)
Auto day/night compass mirror
Leather steering wheel cover

In addition, I got my front passenger windows tinted, installed custom seat covers in the front, installed after-market speakers/amplifier. I am looking at the auto-folding/heated signal mirrors, but I'm kind of afraid of installing them. In hindsight I might have opted for a EX-L 4WD, but I figure the lack of power/heated seats and climate control means less potential maintenance in the future, since I'll have the vehicle for a while. I've also glanced at the running boards or chrome step-bar, but honestly the car is small enough to not really need them, and a bar/boards would just be one more thing to clean come wash time. My next serious purchase would probably be the rear audio sensors.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Have you noticed a real difference in wind noise with the moon-roof hood? I've been thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know I wish I could say for sure, but the moonroof hood was one of the accessories I had installed before I even picked the car up at the dealer back when it was bought. It and the roof rack give the 3rd-gen CR-V some much needed manly-look points.

It does seem that the noise isn't bad though when I have the sunroof open. Personally I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I think I'm still going to get one, it's nice to leave it open on hot days, but the wind noise is sometimes unbearable to leave it open.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Interesting insights. I haven't used the MM because I figure that every 5,000-7,000 miles is frequent enough to keep my car in tip-top shape, so I haven't even seen it come on yet.
There is nothing wrong with not following the MM as long as you perform your services sooner than the MM--not longer. There is one problem though, the MM schedules other service with sub-codes besides the oil changes. If you never see the codes, you may miss other vital services. For instance coming up around 15K you should get a 6 subcode that will tell you to change the rear differential fluid. We had several members that dutifully changed their oil and would reset the MM before the MM displayed the codes and completely missed changing the rear differential fluid.

You can read more about that problem here:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4823

Here is another related thread:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5114

There is a method for seeing what codes will come up in one of the above threads.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts