Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Friends,

I know this has probley been covered but I am looking for a honda guide to change fluids and such. I drive on a flat roads and the Honda dealer said it was time to do a tranmision and break flush I only have 24,000 miles and no hill driving. Is there any Maintenance Guide list organized in miles to keep up with the warrenty and not what the dealer says?

·
Registered
232 Posts
No. It's a secret algorithm that's figured out by the car's computer.

There is a menu burried in the touch screen that will give you cryptic codes that you can look up in your owner's manual to find out which maintenances are due. Then you are supposed to reset each item after you do it.

It don't get no easier than that!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The Maintenance Minder (your manual can tell you all about it) will tell you what needs doing when.

On a practical basis:
  • If you have AWD, you are overdue for a transfer-case fluid change. (The car first calls for that around 15k.)
  • The car will call for a brake fluid flush for the first oil change after it's been in service for two years.
  • You are unlikely to need a CVT flush at this time.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey Friends,

I know this has probley been covered but I am looking for a honda guide to change fluids and such. I drive on a flat roads and the Honda dealer said it was time to do a tranmision and break flush I only have 24,000 miles and no hill driving. Is there any Maintenance Guide list organized in miles to keep up with the warrenty and not what the dealer says?

Here you go ....Maintenance Schedule for 2019 Honda CR-V

Replace brake fluid every 3 years, and transmission fluid every 25,000 miles (or 24 months)

Go here to select another Honda ... owners.honda.com

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The 25k for the transmission fluid is for heavy service like towing or driving your car like a maniac in the heat. Otherwise the MM will let you know when it's time. (Honda has been using this unit for quite a few years, and there have not been any particular reports of early failure, so there's no need to change the fluid just for giggles.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
The 25k for the transmission fluid is for heavy service like towing or driving your car like a maniac in the heat. Otherwise the MM will let you know when it's time. (Honda has been using this unit for quite a few years, and there have not been any particular reports of early failure, so there's no need to change the fluid just for giggles.)

The document attached indicates changing the transmission fluid at 90,000 miles under 'normal' conditions. This is for a Honda vehicle, but not sure on make/model or year :(. However I would assume it could apply as a general rule for most modern Honda vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here you go ....Maintenance Schedule for 2019 Honda CR-V

Replace brake fluid every 3 years, and transmission fluid every 25,000 miles (or 24 months)

Go here to select another Honda ... owners.honda.com
Thanks for info, but A27 maintenance code went off in my 2017 after 24,000 miles, 24 months after owning.

FYI '7' is for replacing Brake Fluid, as result, replacing brake fluid now.

ps. Spoke to Honda whom also said to follow maintenance minder and not put off brake flush for another year.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Anyone reading this thread needs to be clear that for 5th gen, maintenance minder IS the Honda schedule. Period.

I'm absolutely open to hearing discussion as to why people think they should ignore it, other than 'no vehicle I've ever had in the past blah blah". Maybe with some data specific to the drive train and brake systems of the 5th gen.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Anyone reading this thread needs to be clear that for 5th gen, maintenance minder IS the Honda schedule. Period.

I'm absolutely open to hearing discussion as to why people think they should ignore it, other than 'no vehicle I've ever had in the past blah blah". Maybe with some data specific to the drive train and brake systems of the 5th gen.
Who said anything about ignoring the MM?

Reminds me of the lady I once knew driving around with a very obvious low pressure tire. "Well, 'my car is very advanced' and is not giving me any warnings so it's fine".

If it's one thing I've learned in life is to NEVER trust and rely on data/information from a single source.

The Honda maintenance schedules are there (provided by Honda) for a reason. They are valuable guideline to what owners can expect to see in the coming months/years of ownership as far as upcoming maintenance costs, and as a fallback in case of MM sensor deficiencies and failures.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Who said anything about ignoring the MM?

Reminds me of the lady I once knew driving around with a very obvious low pressure tire. "Well, 'my car is very advanced' and is not giving me any warnings so it's fine".

If it's one thing I've learned in life is to NEVER trust and rely on data/information from a single source.

The Honda maintenance schedules are there (provided by Honda) for a reason. They are valuable guideline to what owners can expect to see in the coming months/years of ownership as far as upcoming maintenance costs, and as a fallback in case of MM sensor deficiencies and failures.
Except that maintenance schedule you posted is for an entirely different vehicle that doesn't even vaguely resemble ours, and would lead to buying an awful lot of unneeded stuff... 30k spark plugs? 45k coolant? How old is that thing you posted? And our transmission seems to want new fluid well before 90k, which would be the modern norm for a conventional A/T.

If you want to talk about some "provided by Honda" schedule that supposedly exists, it's gotta at least be for the right engine and transmission.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The link I provided above is from Honda and you can select any make and model you like.
I was referring to that .pdf you said should serve as "a general rule for most modern Honda vehicles". The thing the OP is asking for, a list organized by miles, does not exist for MM-equipped Hondas, and that .pdf is not a substitute, as whatever Honda it is discussing is anything but "modern".

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Maintenance Minder (your manual can tell you all about it) will tell you what needs doing when.

On a practical basis:
  • If you have AWD, you are overdue for a transfer-case fluid change. (The car first calls for that around 15k.)
  • The car will call for a brake fluid flush for the first oil change after it's been in service for two years.
  • You are unlikely to need a CVT flush at this time.
What is the reason for brake system flush? I had a Toyoto Sienna, and the manual did not call for a brake flush under any circumstances. I drove the car 194,000 miles and had no brake problems.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What is the reason for brake system flush? I had a Toyoto Sienna, and the manual did not call for a brake flush under any circumstances. I drove the car 194,000 miles and had no brake problems.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. After a certain amount of time, this moisture will lead to a decrease in the brake fluid's boiling point (and may also lead to corrosion.) If you were to run your brakes hard, boiling fluid would be bad.

While Toyota does not explicitly call for periodic changes, their regular schedule does call for checks of the fluid's condition. (It doesn't discolor over time like used oil, but that doesn't mean it's still good.) There are ways to check the moisture level (either moisture-checking strips, or a handheld spectrometer that isn't very precise, and must be custom to a brand of fluid) so that's why many manufacturers simply call for a flush instead. (It's easy enough to do, even for a DIY, and even easier if you are a mechanic.)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Many people get used to the softer brake pedal due to daily driving vehicles. A good brake service and flush can really make the brake system work like new assuming your brake lines aren't FUBAR.

·
Registered
69 Posts

1) I've seen this. Car going south on I-25, south of Albuquerque. The front driver tire was shredding, on the rim, sparks flying, yet the driver kept on the freeway!

2) This is the first time I've seen this schedule! I was told it didn't exist. But why when it obviously does?

3) When my CR-V was in for a software update on the CVT, the tech 'accidentally' reset the oil MM, and I don't know what else. So MM is not fool proof!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts