Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying a Certified Pre-Owned 2017 CR-V, and obviously care about whether the car was properly maintained. While some candidates helpfully have oil changes noted on the Carfax, I acknowledge that can be a problematic source. Does anyone know whether there's a way to access the maintenance minder history? I'm pretty sure several Certified Pre-Owned cars I've seen at dealerships didn't even bother to change the oil and just reset the maintenance minder. (CPO report says various things were fixed, but "100%" oil is clearly not new oil, "replaced" filters clearly old, etc). If there were a way to access the maintenance minder history, that would be another helpful data point in determining the honesty of the seller. While it would be nice to do so using the built-in menu system, I'm also comfortable applying any USB-based android/debugging scenarios you think one could reasonably get away with in the timeframe of a typical dealer visit & test drive. (Dealers would probably stop me from hacking/rooting the thing in front of them, but still curious if anyone knows whether the infotainment computer stores any data regarding maintenance minder history in its file system, even if not accessible via diagnostic menus) Any tips?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Does anyone know whether there's a way to access the maintenance minder history?
There's no way that I'm aware of. I suspect it doesn't even know either, i.e. when it's reset, it's gone forever.

There's probably a section in the owner's manual to note what service was done. Did they make any such notes?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I don't know if you can call up the MM history in a Honda or not.. but it would not matter. Why? it only shows required/recommended maintenance.. NOT... if it was actually performed. Any owner can go in and reset the MM and it will simply calculate the next MM event.

Best approach here is:

1) If you think any services may have been performed by a prior owner, or a non Honda dealership.....ask for the maintenance records, including receipts.. the same thing a dealer would ask for under a warranty action.

2) go to a local dealer and ask them to look up the VIN and see what service has been recorded by Honda Dealers. Honda uses a central database.. so any dealer can perform maintenance, record it, and any dealer can also look up the maintenance history on Honda's database.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts