Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV FWD Poverty Spec
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys nice to meet you all I'm new to this whole forum thing so forgive me if I don't know the etiquette.

just got my hands on a brand new 2004 CRV and the transmission is showing signs that its worn, the car is a simple 4 speed and I wanted something I could row through the gears myself rather than a computer. did some investigating and turns out they made a model with a 5 speed standard that came with the car from the factory.

anything i should look out for when doing the swap?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
1,016 Posts
$$$$.

Only way it would be a good deal is if you find a totalled or a really, really cheap crv and buy it to be used as a donor vehicle, anything else would be a P.I.T.A trying to find those hard to find parts that are no longer available from a junked V at local junk yard.
Let alone finding yourself buying expensive oem parts that junk yard has already sold or is/are damaged.

Its not impossible, you just need to make sure it might not be done in 1 or 2 weekends. And ultimately it might turn to be a bit more than anticipated.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,490 Posts
Before you do this, have you done the following to make the auto work better: 3x drain & fill with Honda DW-1 transmission fluid; cleaning out the transmission solenoid filters [many YT videos show how to do this].

Might want to look at Element forums. Both vehicles are nearly identical underneath their metal outsides. While the vast majority of Elements had auto transmissions, there were a few made with a 5-speed rower.

As many here are already thinking, be careful what you wish for. The process you want to do sounds great & fairly easy. However, be sure to check with your better half, & with the neighbors, as I think what you want to do may be more expensive than you think, & you may spend several months performing your transformation.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
14,005 Posts
As many here are already thinking, be careful what you wish for. The process you want to do sounds great & fairly easy.
As a veteran of an auto-to-manual conversion many decades ago (before bespoke ECUs that affected running based on expected inputs) you need to assure that all the anchoring points for the manual trans hardware is present. Our experience was made really difficult by a lack of captive hardware for things....

++++++++++++

Kazoo2u's advice doesn't resolve your issues, the best advice is to BUY A GEN2 V WITH A MANUAL TRANS.
sorry.

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV FWD Poverty Spec
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you do this, have you done the following to make the auto work better: 3x drain & fill with Honda DW-1 transmission fluid; cleaning out the transmission solenoid filters [many YT videos show how to do this].

As many here are already thinking, be careful what you wish for. The process you want to do sounds great & fairly easy. However, be sure to check with your better half, & with the neighbors, as I think what you want to do may be more expensive than you think, & you may spend several months performing your transformation.
ive done a complete fluid flush with new filters and a pan cleanout, zero change.

I don't care necessarily about how tedious the job is. I never wanted it to be easy if anything I prefer a challenge, just want to know what to look out for...

As a veteran of an auto-to-manual conversion many decades ago (before bespoke ECUs that affected running based on expected inputs) you need to assure that all the anchoring points for the manual trans hardware is present. Our experience was made really difficult by a lack of captive hardware for things....

Kazoo2u's advice doesn't resolve your issues, the best advice is to BUY A GEN2 V WITH A MANUAL TRANS.
sorry.
Trust me, I tried. everyone of them costs 10 grand with a bunch of practically irrelevant bolt on modifications like a CAI or skunk 2 intake manifolds(at least where i live).

Done my research on the different configurations, turns out both subframes are identical but the mounts to the subframes are different but they CAN be retrofitted.

Since you know quite a bit about this stuff. does Honda put the TCM in the ECM?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts