Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2016 CR-V EX with 23,518 miles on it has had the two cabin lights completely stop working today. About two months ago I bought the interior LED bulbs from "Precison LED" and they mad a world of difference in how much light I had in the cabin of the CR-V. But today both of the center front roof lights AKA map lights stopped working at the same time. Both hitting the translucent somewhat clear white cover to turn them on, and opening the door does not cause either of them to come on. They both seamed to fail at the same time. Just before they failed I had opened the door and they worked. The rear center dome light still works fine. At first I thought that maybe one of the new LED bulbs failed as a short or high load and caused a fuse to blow. So I looked on YouTube to see where the fuse box was, and found vidos suggesting that the small white (and sometimes black on the bottom) push button switches are common failure items. And that these switches are readily available on e-bay and a few other places. I am still in the 1 year coverage from buying it last February at a Honda dealer. And the oil life has just now gone down to 20 % so I will be calling the dealer soon to get the oil changed, and probably have them fix the lights. I got home after dark today so I have not checked any fuses yet. I wonder if there is a separate fuse only for those 2 lights or if the fuse went would the center dome light in-between the back of the front seats and the trunk light also be out if the fuse was blown? Those two lights still work fine.

From the YouTube videos it seams like those little switches commonly fail.

Also from other YouTube videos that I watched yesterday, it seams that the chromed plastic button in the left of the transmission shifter position selector is another common failure item.

Fortunately, even though Hondas in general are very reliable, these common items are very low cost, and if you watch the YouTube videos on how to replace them, they really are easy to replace yourself.

So, what are your thoughts or experience with both of the map lights failing at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any information on what the problem may be.

Stay safe.

JimPghPA

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I have 2 free oil changes from the dealer. After that I will probably be doing it myself if the weather is decent enough.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts
I'd check fuses first, then check the ground for that light set. Whatever the problem is, it hit both of them simultaneously. Don't know why the switches would go out at the same time, unless there was a power surge to the system.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
2,749 Posts
my take: Swapped to leds, heard boards shorting out due to wrong leds.

check the bulb, check the actual light with an Ohms meter.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V SE
46 Posts
Also, since the LEDs are aftermarket, Dealer would not warranty the console. I would remove all LEDs and replace them with factory bulbs and then take it in. Incase the board is shorted out, you have a chance of coverage. If you leave the LEDs in, good luck getting the coverage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the LEDs today and put the bulbs back in and it works fine with the old bulbs back in it. Both of the LEDs are bad. I rotated the LEDs half a turn and put them back in and they still did not work. I took them home and put them on a dc supply set to 13 Volts and both of them do not work. These were bought from "Precision LED" and they were very expensive. I will be calling them tomorrow.

I know it is absurd that both of the map light LEDs failed at the same time. The dome light on the roof between the back of the front seats also comes on when a door is open so it is on that same circuit, but it did not burn out and still works fine. For the premium price that these LEDs cost I was expecting much more reliability. At least the switches and circuitry of the vehicle are OK.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,271 Posts
I've always used Automotive LED Replacement Bulbs & Lighting Upgrades

They provided new bulbs twice, once instance after more than a year. 🆒
Interesting about the boards on some cars "burning up?" Especially as LEDs use less power than OEM bulbs.
LEDs provide less resistance in a circuit, so it makes sense that some applications that are designed for incandescent bulbs could result in issues.

Most common is turn-signal blinkers. I've had issues with time-delay controls on older cars.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX-L AWD
324 Posts
I've had good luck with vleds.com over the years for all interior led bulbs. I had a full set if LEDs for my 08 CRV and were still working fine when I traded in it in after having it for 6 years. Had a few other brands for my others cars and they seems to burn out after a while.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I called PrecisionLED today. I had looked up my credit card history and saw that it was on May 24 that I had bought the LEDs. They asked if I still had the order number but I had thrown away the paper. I told them no but I gave them the date of purchase and my name. We talked for a few minutes that it was weird that they both went out at the same time. I told him that I put the original bulbs back in and now it works fine with them and the dome light behind the sun roof that has one of there LEDs in it did not blow out, and it is on the same circuit. They said they will be shipping out 2 new bulbs to me today, and gave me an expected day of arrival. I asked him if he wanted the bad bulbs back and he said no.

Yes it is strange that both of the map LEDs went out at the same time. And I have not done anything with the vehicle that could of caused this. I have not jump started anyone, and have not been jump started. The Honda dealer put a new 51R battery in the vehicle in December of 2019, and I bough the vehicle in February of 2020. It is a 2016 CR-V EX that had 19,788 miles on it when I bought it, and now has 23,518 miles on it.

Well at least PrecisonLED stands behind there warranty, and is replacing the 2 LEDs for free and is not even charging me for the postage.

BTW, one of the YouTube videos showed how to remove the transparent map light covers easily. You press it on the switch side and hold that side down, and then on the side towards the center of the vehicle you slide a wide flat blade such as a thin butter knife, or the wide double tipped blade that PrecisionLED gives you for free when you buy LEDs from them. This is a good way to remove that cover without causing it to break.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On my original post I said "About two months ago" and it was really the end of May (probably beginning of June when I received them). I had really lost track of how long I had them.

·
Super Moderator
2,227 Posts
I get it! Time seems to have stood still for the last 6 months or so.....

I keep telling my wife I feel like I am trying to run though mud 2 feet deep all the time. Sheesh

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,318 Posts
One thing to remember about this stuff. Just as with those faulty circuit boards, LED bulbs are assembled by robotics, including the soldering, and sometimes the robotics can get out of adjustment and produce a bad batch before the problem is detected. It's harder to detect these kinds of things due to smallness. So, usually, a bulb is either bad or good. Any fault shows up fairly quickly, and otherwise they should last for years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My new to me 2016 CR-V EX with 23,518 miles on it has had the two cabin lights completely stop working today. About two months ago I bought the interior LED bulbs from "Precison LED" and they mad a world of difference in how much light I had in the cabin of the CR-V. But today both of the center front roof lights AKA map lights stopped working at the same time. Both hitting the translucent somewhat clear white cover to turn them on, and opening the door does not cause either of them to come on. They both seamed to fail at the same time. Just before they failed I had opened the door and they worked. The rear center dome light still works fine. At first I thought that maybe one of the new LED bulbs failed as a short or high load and caused a fuse to blow. So I looked on YouTube to see where the fuse box was, and found vidos suggesting that the small white (and sometimes black on the bottom) push button switches are common failure items. And that these switches are readily available on e-bay and a few other places. I am still in the 1 year coverage from buying it last February at a Honda dealer. And the oil life has just now gone down to 20 % so I will be calling the dealer soon to get the oil changed, and probably have them fix the lights. I got home after dark today so I have not checked any fuses yet. I wonder if there is a separate fuse only for those 2 lights or if the fuse went would the center dome light in-between the back of the front seats and the trunk light also be out if the fuse was blown? Those two lights still work fine.

From the YouTube videos it seams like those little switches commonly fail.

Also from other YouTube videos that I watched yesterday, it seams that the chromed plastic button in the left of the transmission shifter position selector is another common failure item.

Fortunately, even though Hondas in general are very reliable, these common items are very low cost, and if you watch the YouTube videos on how to replace them, they really are easy to replace yourself.

So, what are your thoughts or experience with both of the map lights failing at the same time?

Thanks in advance for any information on what the problem may be.

Stay safe.

JimPghPA
Sounds as if you got the wrong type of LED. Would put the old bulbs back in and check the fuses. If works you know the problem. If it doesn't Honda will be glad to cure your issue. Do not mention that you put LED bulbs in.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the 2 new replacement bulbs in the mail two days ago and put them in. They work fine and certainly produce a heck of a lot more light than the dim original bulbs. The make a world of difference and now at night I can easily see anything in the vehicle at night when I go to take my stuff out before going into the house at night.

The LED map lights make such a big difference that if PrecisionLED did not replace them under warranty, I would have bought some of the other brand such as from vleds.com such as mentioned by ilovemyhonda88. If LED upgrades were not available, I would be adding additional light sockets to the cabin, because the two map lights with the dome light when equipped with factory bulbs do not provide anywhere near enough light when trying to see stuff in the vehicle when it is really dark out.

Thanks everyone for the information about other sources of LEDs. For now I will stay with the ones I have because they provide enough light and if they do burn out the company honors the warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts