Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided my wife's V could use a little thump on the low end, as many have pointed out, the bass from the factory audio system isn't that great. I decided to go with an 8 inch Rockford Fosgate Punch P1 sub, and a Rockford Fosgate 300-1 Punch series amp. To keep it clean, I built a custom enclosure out of fiberglass. The amp will be on a removable panel in the spare tire, so it is protected and out of sight.

I started by taping off the area where I wanted the enclosure

Then I used spray adhesive to cover the tape with aluminum foil. I applied a couple coats of car wax to the foil as well.

I laid down 3 layers of 3/4 oz. chop mat using USC B-440 premium polyester resin, which is the best resin I have ever used. It's so easy to work with and the pot life is really good.

Once that cured, I pulled it out and trimmed it down to fit using a dremmel. After it was trimmed, I put it back in to check the fit.

Added 4 more layers and let it cure.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then I glassed in a frame to give me something to attach the fabric to when I got to making the front.

Then I realized I need something to stand the speaker ring on, so I hot glue 1/2 sticks to the frame and covered them with foil and wax.

Attached the speaker ring with dowel rods and hot glue.

Stretched ponte fabric over the front, using hot glue to secure it to the frame.

Saturated the fabric with resin, and let it dry. Some people use fleece for this, but I prefer ponte because it stretches really well and doesn't absorb as much resin as fleece.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added 5 layers of glass to the front.

Once that cured, I cut out the area in the center of the ring and removed the supports.

This speaker needs an internal volume of .23 cubic feet, so I got this guy I used to work with that likes cardboard to build me a box to those specs.

Pretty damn close

Check fit of the speaker. The magnet has about a 1/4" of clearance at the back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts