Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the battery and oil changed. Since, the Master Door Lock Switch will not work when engine is off. It does work when car engine is on. Neither key fob will work to lock/unlock doors or set alarm. The only way to open the hatch is when the engine is on. Any ideas?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,814 Posts
I believe that the only thing that needs to be reset after a battery change is the auto-up windows. @racoon ?

Perhaps trhe shop left a connection loose, or dislodged an underhood fuse?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I believe @Carbuff2 is correct, and only the auto-up windows have to be reprogrammed, but I'm not even sure if that applies to you CR-V. What year is your CR-V?

You said the keyfobs won't lock or unlock the doors, or set the alarm?
What kind of alarm system do you have, as the programming for them will be specific to the alarm system.

If they're the standard Honda keys then what I'm seeing online for a 2007-2011 is that remotes have to be programmed by a Honda dealer. Did you have the work done at a Honda dealer? If so, go back to them and make them fix your CR-V.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What year CR-V? I just changed the battery in my '09 last month, plus I installed a new alternator shortly thereafter, having disconnected the battery twice. I didn't have to reprogram anything as a result.

The key fob reprogramming sequence is quite easy:

I just hope nothing else was damaged when the battery was replaced. I kind of doubt it, but the CR-V "forgetting" its key fob programming is kind of odd.

Reactions: Kadchen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe @Carbuff2 is correct, and only the auto-up windows have to be reprogrammed, but I'm not even sure if that applies to you CR-V. What year is your CR-V?

You said the keyfobs won't lock or unlock the doors, or set the alarm?
What kind of alarm system do you have, as the programming for them will be specific to the alarm system.

If they're the standard Honda keys then what I'm seeing online for a 2007-2011 is that remotes have to be programmed by a Honda dealer. Did you have the work done at a Honda dealer? If so, go back to them and make them fix your CR-V.
It’s a 2010 exl. The windows are fine. The display also goes back to the mileage screen instead of staying on A where I put it. The work wasn’t done at a dealer. I’d have to sell a kidney. The dealer changed the airbags for the recall and I took it to a shop for the rest of the work (ac compressor clutch, drive belt, pos cable, battery and oil).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Okay, that's the immobilizer, which isn't an alarm system. It does lock down the ignition system so someone can't start the engine if they break in and try to "hot wire" it. There's a small "chip" inside each key which allows the engine to be started by the key.
To prove that it's not an alarm system roll down the driver window, get out of the CR-V and close the door and lock it with the remote. Then reach through the open window and unlock and then open the door.

But of course you'll first need to reprogram the keys. Wildcat posted a link in message #4 of this thread.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
All 3rd gen CR-Vs have an alarm.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I've never tried it, honestly--thought they did. Doesn't matter to me though--it has the immobilizer. If someone wants it bad enough, they'll have to tow it away. I know some have installed aftermarket. One of ours has an aftermarket remote start and it's a piece of crap...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s a 2010 exl. The windows are fine. The display also goes back to the mileage screen instead of staying on A where I put it.
Okay, that's the immobilizer, which isn't an alarm system. It does lock down the ignition system so someone can't start the engine if they break in and try to "hot wire" it. There's a small "chip" inside each key which allows the engine to be started by the key.
To prove that it's not an alarm system roll down the driver window, get out of the CR-V and close the door and lock it with the remote. Then reach through the open window and unlock and then open the door.

But of course you'll first need to reprogram the keys. Wildcat posted a link in message #4 of this thread.
I’ll try it tomorrow and let y’all know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s a 2010 exl. The windows are fine. The display also goes back to the mileage screen instead of staying on A where I put it.

I followed the reprogramming exactly. I never heard any cycling or thinking and the fobs still don’t work. Maybe there is something to do to the master door look first? Because it still doesn’t work unless the car engine is on. (It doesn’t work in any other “key ignition position.”

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I followed the reprogramming exactly. I never heard any cycling or thinking and the fobs still don’t work. Maybe there is something to do to the master door look first? Because it still doesn’t work unless the car engine is on. (It doesn’t work in any other “key ignition position.”
I think the problem is that those instructions are for a 1997-2001 CR-V, and apparently they don't work with your 2010.

So next question. How good do you feel about going back to the shop that did the work and complaining about the problem? How do you think they'll react?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think the problem is that those instructions are for a 1997-2001 CR-V, and apparently they don't work with your 2010.

So next question. How good do you feel about going back to the shop that did the work and complaining about the problem? How do you think they'll react?
That’s another issue. I took it to the dealer to do the airbags. Then took it to a local garage for the other repairs. I have no idea where the door issue happened. I just know it wasn’t me.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
It’s a 2010 exl. The windows are fine. The display also goes back to the mileage screen instead of staying on A where I put it. The work wasn’t done at a dealer. I’d have to sell a kidney. The dealer changed the airbags for the recall and I took it to a shop for the rest of the work (ac compressor clutch, drive belt, pos cable, battery and oil).
Okay, question: Did the key fobs and door locks work before you had the airbags done at the dealer? Did they work before you had the work done at the shop? When did they stop working? Both the dealer and the other shop messed with the electrical system to do their work. It could conceivably be that the fobs have weak batteries, which are replaceable, but it would be unusual for both at the same time. Are they the original fobs? It sounds like they lost their programming somehow, which means they will have to be reprogrammed by a Honda dealer. But it sounds to me like, if they were working before you had any work done, one of those shops caused the problem.

Gen3 CR-Vs do not have factory alarm systems (alarm systems are strictly aftermarket items). The blinking red light on the dash at night is the so-called anti-theft system for the radio head unit. I don't know if that actually even does anything other than blink the red light, but it is not an alarm system. Also, Gen3s do not have auto up settings for the windows, so there's nothing to reset there. Read your owner's manual for a clear explanation of how all that works. On the display, at rest it sits wherever you tell it to by pushing the button. To change where it sits when driving, push the button with the engine running, it should stay where you put it whenever the engine is running. Mine does. But when shut off it goes back to the default main screen. The owner's manual also explains all this, as well as how to change how it works.

Due to age-affected hardening of the brain cells, I have to re-check this stuff sometimes, as I have no short term memory at all anymore. So, while I have the printed owner's manual in the glove box, I also downloaded a pdf of it and keep it on my computer. As well as how to spell my name, where I live, and directions to the grocery store. :giggle:

FYI, here's a link to yours:

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2010/CR-V/manuals

Reactions: Kadchen
1 - 17 of 17 Posts