Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2014 CR-V, and was wondering if locking the doors with the master door lock switch sets the security alarm (after all the doors are closed). I'm trying to preserve my battery in this cold weather as I don't drive everyday, so I'm hoping to avoid using the remote transmission to lock my doors. I see the security alarm system light come on after locking in this manner, but when I looked in the Owner's Manual on page 107, it said
"The security system alarm automatically sets when the following conditions have
been met:
• The ignition switch is in LOCK (0, and the key has been removed from the
ignition switch.
• The hood and tailgate are closed.
• All doors and tailgate are locked with the key or the remote transmitter"

Does that mean that using the master door lock switch won't set the security alarm? I found a thread from 2008 where someone referenced the Owner's Manual indicating that the switch would set the alarm but wasn't sure if they had changed the feature or something. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I believe it would set the security alarm by pressing the lock botton on the master key pad. This is what i do too to preserve my battery from my remote key fob. Try this sit inside the driver or passanger then press the master lock on the driver door pad. Wait until the security alarm warning light starts blinking then open the door by unlocking the driver or passenger door by opening one of the door see what happens. Let me know. If this fails I will ask you to do another procedure.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm trying to preserve my battery in this cold weather as I don't drive everyday, so I'm hoping to avoid using the remote transmission to lock my doors.
Electrical signals will be sent to door lock actuators in all of those three scenarios (remote, master switch, key). I think using the key to lock and unlock the doors would cause least drain on the battery. I would also suggest turning off the lock acknowledgement (lights flashing) to minimize battery drain further.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

otto888man - I tried doing that, but the security alarm didn't set even though the key was not in the ignition or anything. However, when I did basically the same thing from the outside (driver's door was open, I pressed the master door lock and then shut the door), the alarm light showed up.. Did it not set in this case because I had already closed all the doors before pressing the button?

genuser - I didn't know you could use the key itself to lock/unlock all the doors, so I'll definitely be doing that from now on to save battery -- thank you! Does the lock acknowledgement light come on even if you aren't using the remote transmission?

CanadaCRV - Unfortunately I live in an apartment building without easy access to an external outlet. I've heard that portable trickle chargers are an option, but am not sure how they would respond to the cold??

Thanks again for all of the advice! A tangential question, but about how long of driving around (in either minutes or miles) would be sufficient to "fully recharge" the battery? I'm trying to at least drive it around every few days until it gets warmer and have heard of numbers like 20-30 minutes but wasn't sure if that would be sufficient depending on the temp. Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I believe 2014 CR-V has the same battery as Civic which I have. The battery is small and if depleted will freeze. My first battery died one me exactly after 3 years because I drove mostly short distances. I also have an after market remote starter which leaks battery even more. I would say a week up to maximum of 10 days between switching the car on for charging. It should run for a good 30 minutes or more (with no accessory on) to charge (it's hard to say how long because of battery/alternator condition).

Locking with the key most likely triggers the alarm. My last resort recommendation is disconnecting the negative ( - ) terminal and wrapping a plastic on the terminal. I guess easier said than done in very cold weather :(. You might need a key code to unlock the stereo system after battery reconnection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts