Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 EX (no auto temp control). When I am running recirculate A/C and I turn the Max A/C button on, nothing appears to happen. In the past on previous vehicles, it would make the car go to highest fan speed and recirculate but now even with the A/C set to fresh air instead of recirculate, the Max button doesn't seem to do anything but especially with it already in recirculate mode.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't perceive a change in the fan speed. I live on recirculate so no difference there. I guess I was wondering if you are already on highest fan speed and recirculate, the max button doesn't do anything else. I thought it might keep the compression on rather than let it cycle on and off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am when I jump into my vehicle, but because its so hot lately I switch it to fresh air, once it starts to blow cold is when I go back to recirculate and I hear the fan kick a little louder

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I am when I jump into my vehicle, but because its so hot lately I switch it to fresh air, once it starts to blow cold is when I go back to recirculate and I hear the fan kick a little louder
You are doing it the opposite of the way it is intended to work (as shown by the way automatic temperature control works). With automatic temperature control, recirculate is used initially to cool the same air over and over to get the temperature down rather than cool hot outside air. Once the temperature is cooled, the AC system automatically switches to outside air. The fan runs faster on recirculate because it is under less strain because it is not pulling in outside air and forcing the inside air out since it is moving the same air and doesn't have to overcome the exhaust vents for the outside air. The econ mode also uses recirculate to save fuel because it is easier to cool already cool air rather than hot outside air. (cracking open windows lets the hot air escape from a hot car that has been sitting in the sun).

·
Registered
131 Posts
I normally don't use the MAX AC button, i just use recirculate, A/C and turn the blower on full blast. I've honestly never really noticed a difference with the MAX AC button on or off so long as the blower is on full speed. I guess the only way i'm really going to see a difference if i put a thermometer in the vent and check.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You are doing it the opposite of the way it is intended to work (as shown by the way automatic temperature control works). With automatic temperature control, recirculate is used initially to cool the same air over and over to get the temperature down rather than cool hot outside air. Once the temperature is cooled, the AC system automatically switches to outside air. The fan runs faster on recirculate because it is under less strain because it is not pulling in outside air and forcing the inside air out since it is moving the same air and doesn't have to overcome the exhaust vents for the outside air. The econ mode also uses recirculate to save fuel because it is easier to cool already cool air rather than hot outside air. (cracking open windows lets the hot air escape from a hot car that has been sitting in the sun).
I've been doing that for years and seems to work for me, especially growing up in South Florida when its always raining. Though I will give it a try thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've been doing that for years and seems to work for me, especially growing up in South Florida when its always raining. Though I will give it a try thanks for the advise.
Like with my 2 other vehicles, the first thing I did when I got my CRV was to order vent shades for the doors. When I leave the car in the hot sun, I roll all of the windows down about an inch so the inside doesn't get really hot. The vent shades keep the rain out. I paid $49.99 on E-Bay and it took about 15 minutes to install them. I think Honda sells them for a couple of hundred dollars.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked today on the way to work. I turned the Eco Mode off thinking it was affecting it. With the fan set to barely on and fresh air intake, it changed to recirculate but the fan speed didn't increase. So it appears the Max A/C button merely duplicates the Recirculate button.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For hot humid weather, I crack the sunroof open, switch to fresh air intake, and crack the windows a bit. Once the hot and humid NC air moves out some, I go back to recirculate and close the roof.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I checked today on the way to work. I turned the Eco Mode off thinking it was affecting it. With the fan set to barely on and fresh air intake, it changed to recirculate but the fan speed didn't increase. So it appears the Max A/C button merely duplicates the Recirculate button.
I think you are correct. My F-150 acts the same way. I've had some cars where the Max AC setting put it in recirculate and also put the fan on high.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Like with my 2 other vehicles, the first thing I did when I got my CRV was to order vent shades for the doors. When I leave the car in the hot sun, I roll all of the windows down about an inch so the inside doesn't get really hot. The vent shades keep the rain out. I paid $49.99 on E-Bay and it took about 15 minutes to install them. I think Honda sells them for a couple of hundred dollars.
yeah i got the Wellvisors direct for the same price with free shipping and i did the install. my younger brother got the genuine Honda ones for his Accord Sport and had them install it for 3 times what i paid; sucker...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts