Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of modifications to my CR-V recently, mostly power-hungry upgrades like stereo equipment and lighting. So far I have already added an 800 watt subwoofer and a pair of 55 watt fog lights. This weekend I am installing a Westin Safari Light Bar with another pair of 55 watt driving lights. I also plan to add another pair of 100+ watt off-road lights to the roof or onto the light bar (I drive a lot at night, usually in crap-tastic weather :)). I feel that I am reaching (or already exceeded :p) the maximum output of the stock alternator, which I believe to be around 100 amps.

Anybody with a ridiculous amounts of lighting or a crazy stereo system that can chime in on max power output, or even about adding additional batteries/aftermarket alternators?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Isn't 800W the max output of the (what I assume to be a self-powered) subwoofer, and not its power consumption?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Isn't 800W the max output of the (what I assume to be a self-powered) subwoofer, and not its power consumption?
You are correct. 800 watts is the theoretical max output from the amp. Under normal usage, it only uses a fraction of that. I am not worried about the subwoofer power usage (not essential and can be turned off). I am more interested in how many lights I can add before I need to worry about killing the battery due to the alternator not being able to supply enough power. Lights are a constant draw, unlike the subwoofer, which can vary by volume and music.

·
Registered
45 Posts
ney SirFerret, is this the westin bar u plan on using this is from carid :
http://www.carid.com/2008-honda-cr-v-grill-guards/westin-safari-light-bull-bar-368476.html

the black or the stainless? Let me know how the install goes- cutting or mods... cause i am planning putting this one (probably the black one, but i am concerned with possible rust) on my 2008 crv. And from the looks of this it appears there is only room for 1 set of lights, unless you somehow add to the top part of the light bar.

Where are you going to get the power from? please man let me know how this goes for u, and if you can post pics,

i previously posted in another thread for help but didn't get much advice, due to change in work locations i am on the road at 4am and no light on the highway for like 35-40 min, and i have had already 2 incidents with near deer misses, i require extra lights to see better. thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the black one, and the install was easy. No modding or cutting required. For my Gen 1 CR-V, the bar mounts to the factory tow hooks under the bumper. While there are only two mounting holes for lights, I managed to put on four with some creative use of bolts :D. You could also add pretty much as many lights as you want using something like this, which I plan on adding in the future. The lights are all wired up with relays so that I can turn them on or off with the normal lights. No additional power was needed, just follow the instructions that come with the lights you buy.

Also, purchase the bar from Amazon. Much cheaper and free shipping (2 day if you are Prime like me!) Amazon Link

You also need the mounting brackets, which do not come with the bar. They are also available on Amazon. Your brackets are slightly different, but work in much the same way. Amazon Link

Here are the lights I have installed. Amazon Link

I also recommend an upgraded pair of head light bulbs, The Silverstar Ultras I have installed make a huge difference compared to the stock bulbs. Amazon Link

Good luck with the install! Feel free to ask away if you need any more information!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
42 Posts
To find the current draw of all your lights, divide total wattage by 12. (volts)

I run (6) 55 watt aux lights. So, 6*55= 330. 330/12= 27.5 amps

Same thing for me with the subwoofers, i've got a 1000 watt amp, but unless your listening to it full blast for a period of time then probably not something to worry about. I havent had any problems with my stock alternator with this setup. (being a 2003, stock alternator is 90 amps)

Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part
Mode of transport Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Windshield

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To replay to your private message crackhead (going to answer here for everyone's benefit). The Amazon weight of 16 pounds sounds right. The bar is not as heavy as it looks, but it is still very sturdy. About the wiring, it really depends what you want to do and what kind of lights your order. Any lights you buy will come with a wiring diagram, which shows exactly what to do. I would recommend a pair of lights that have a relay built into the wiring, so you don't have to do it yourself (Like these).

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 11 LEDs which are low wattage, with 2 amps (400 and 350 watt). If need be, if you experience your lights dimming, I would suggest a capacitor for your amp. It will store amperage for your amp when it hits hard, and not affect your other 12V current in the vehicle. This will prevent your lights dimming and is cheaper than a gel cell battery, unless you have deep pockets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.