Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 04' with 15" wheels, stock suspension, that needs new tires. What's the largest general grabber AT that can be fitted without problem? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've seen guys put 235/75/15 with the General Grabber AT2 on stock rims, however I believe they had minor rubbing at full turn. I put 215/75/15 on mine and they turned out perfect, it adds enough rubber to fill much more of the wheelwell. When i was considering my tires, i had looked at the Grabbers in 215/75/15 but i ended up with Cooper Discovery H/T, mostly because i didn't want to sacrifice too much mpg, and I wanted a little quieter tire. I apologize if the picture is small

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I went with Michelin 215/70R15 vs. the 205/70R15 stockers when I last replaced tires and they made a world of difference in yielding a great ride over the old Goodyears that were last on it. Quieter, softer and much smoother ride. Best upgrade since installing new gas shocks all around a year ago. They are the perfect tire for the Gen 2 CRV in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
MarktheCRVman, it looks like it's been a couple of years since you moved to the larger tires. I'm thinking of going with the same tire size. Have you had any issues moving the the larger tires?

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Seems like a 235/75/15 would really kill performance being so much larger/taller in diameter and obviously rubs. Kinda like peddling a 10 speed bike in 10th gear all the time. Performance will be decreased when diameter is increased.

A 235/60/15 is virtually identical in diameter/height to the stock tire. No extra load on the engine/drivetrain.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I have 235/70r16s on mine :p. But with jeep wheels (1" less offset but 8" wide) Cooper Discover AT3

Only rub was top of rear fender well.

Only real performance loss is at highway speed on rolling hills. Acceleration at low speed the negative affect is much lower than expected.

Had 235/50r18s before and 0 issues there (Almost same height as stock).

235s arent the problem, I ran those for 6 months not 1 rub. Its sidewall height, too tall of tire is where rubbing comes in.

225s are about the sweat spot for AT tires on these though, 235s are a bit wide for the low weight of a CRV.

Here's mine, 0 lift or anything currently. Only runs come from too much weight and large dips in the rear. 0 rubbing up front in any instance.

putting 1" lift spacers in for clearance since I leave the pavement any chance I get and from stock, these tires are right about 3" taller overall loosing 1.5" of fender clearance. And that is only of concern at the top, not front/back.

Been driving mine as normal, highway speeds (over 60mph) is the only time I notice the bigger tires hindering things and it gets pretty noticeable. Likely dropping to 225s when I get new tires (these are used with 60% tread came on the wheels)

FYI in this pick there is 50lbs of steel for my trailer and a bunch of other random crap in the back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my 2002 cr-v with 1.5 lift kit and 1/2 inch wheel spacers with 235/75/15 no problems so far no rubbing anywhere

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought 04' with 15" wheels, stock suspension, that needs new tires. What's the largest general grabber AT that can be fitted without problem? Thanks in advance
I use 1.5 lift kit and 1/2 inch wheel spacers with 235/75/15 no problems so far and no rubbing at all

1 - 9 of 9 Posts