Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend needed her first car, so we bought a used 99 crv in great condition. Except for what I now learned is a incredibly common problem with this model. The engine threw out misfire codes and we had it diagnosed. Cylinder 3 is essentially boned. 1 2 4 are fine and within compression norms. We just sunk all of our money into buying it. We got a rough quote of 1200 from the mechanic. Do we have any cheaper options? I will try to provide more details shortly as I'm going to talk to the mechanic.

I would appreciate any help or experience you all have with this.

·
Registered
693 Posts
are you willing to do the work yourself? If so get a used motor and a few friends over to help do a motor swap. 99 crv B20 are like 300 bucks. Or you can sue the owner for not disclosing that cylinder 3 was jacked up, but if he sold it asis then you are probably screwed there also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Always bring a code reader when buying used cars to check for "pending" codes that have yet triggered a CEL.

I wouldn't buy a car unless I thoroughly test drove it in city / highway conditions for over an hour to trigger any issues.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
How many miles did you put on it after you bought it?

If it runs OK and doesn't have to pass an emissions test, just use it if you can't return it.
It is possible that the #3 cylinder has problems, a burnt valve, broken rings, stuck rings, hole in piston, etc. What is the supposed problem with cyl #3?
If it is not running good enough for your purposes, then a used engine swap would probably be the cheapest.
Don't know where you heard about the "incredibly common problem with this model" being the # 3 cylinder.
Buffalo4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts